You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 4 Manchester City 3 (Jan 14 2018)

tlw content

Excellent report that,after we went 2-1up and they kicked off again the noise was unbelievable, the fans demanded we get straight back at them and that’s exactly what they did,city’s defence couldn’t handle the atmosphere or the press,I think the fans deserve an assist for that third goal,exhilarating stuff

Pep and Gungodan commented that the atmosphere had an effect. It was ace, if we can get that on a more regular basis it would be brilliant!

• Upvote 1

Great report but how you can count Mignolet as “To me he’s a good keeper and there aren’t too many better in the Premier League” I’ll never know.

It's more a vote against everyone else as it is one for Mignolet.

Every week I watch MOTD and sit there shaking my head at the goals being let in. People think Mignolet is bad because they aren't watching all these other fucking stiffs every week.

• Upvote 1

Excellent report that,after we went 2-1up and they kicked off again the noise was unbelievable, the fans demanded we get straight back at them and that’s exactly what they did,city’s defence couldn’t handle the atmosphere or the press,I think the fans deserve an assist for that third goal,exhilarating stuff

Yeah we almost scored straight from that kick off when one of their players passed it straight to Mané who hit the post.

It's more a vote against everyone else as it is one for Mignolet.

Every week I watch MOTD and sit there shaking my head at the goals being let in. People think Mignolet is bad because they aren't watching all these other fucking stiffs every week.

But surely you see that it's a position we need a big improvement in?

But surely you see that it's a position we need a big improvement in?

Of course. I posted in the members forum yesterday (in either the Karius or Mignolet thread) that the team is now so good everywhere else that goalkeeper is now the most glaring weakness, whereas until this season it wasn't the top priority for me as I wanted us to get everything else right first. Mignolet is good but he's not, and never will be, great. We are no at the stage where we need great.

Now I'd happily see us spend the bulk of the budget on the best keeper available, as if you have someone who can do for us what De Gea does for United, we'd be turning a lot of these draws into narrow wins.

• Upvote 1

Of course. I posted in the members forum yesterday (in either the Karius or Mignolet thread) that the team is now so good everywhere else that goalkeeper is now the most glaring weakness, whereas until this season it wasn't the top priority for me as I wanted us to get everything else right first. Mignolet is good but he's not, and never will be, great. We are no at the stage where we need great.

Now I'd happily see us spend the bulk of the budget on the best keeper available, as if you have someone who can do for us what De Gea does for United, we'd be turning a lot of these draws into narrow wins.

I missed that one. I generally avoid the petty, childish squabbling of the Members Forum and post on the FF instead.

That City keeper flapped at every single corner that came in. He was at fault for the fourth goal and although I wouldn't blame him for the opening goal, I daresay if Mignolet has conceded that people would have pointed the finger at him. 

Being in a team that wins every week is making that keeper look better than he is. It's his first season over here though so I expect he'll get better dealing with crosses, but at the moment he's a flapper.

Chelsea, Manchester United, Spurs and Manchester City have significantly better goalkeepers than us, and I'd still just about take a slowing, disinterested Cech over our choices.

It should be priority number one.

I'd accept that we need to improve on Mignolet, but I've seen Loris and Cech drop quite a few clangers in recent weeks. Loris has been lucky in that his mistakes haven't been punished whereas Cech has conceded quite a few poor goals - his mistake for our third in the 3-3 was as bad as Mignolet's for their 2nd. Ederson wasn't that impressive on Sunday, but has otherwise looked good this season. De Gea and Courtois are streets ahead of the rest in the PL. We need to look abroad if we want a significant upgrade on Migolet (or Karius). I agree it's a priority for the summer - rumour suggests that Klopp and his team have finally acknowledged that, too.

That's how I see it. There's no keeper in the Premier League I'd be signing, as any upgrade is marginal at best.

If that Roma fella is the business then get him, if they're not 100% sure he's a significant upgrade then pay the extra and get that Oblak, as everyone seems to think he's phenomenal (only seem him a couple of times so can't comment).

• Upvote 2

Great report on a great game. I agree that it was subbing Milner for Can that helped City get close at the end. Just goes to show how quick the game was being played that even an experienced player like Milner struggled to get up to pace quickly. I also agree that Sterling was ineffective - but he was also lucky not to be booked early doors for kicking the ball away when a free kick was awarded against him.

I also thought that Mariner had a good game.

De Bruyne was impressive as he was just as keen at 4-1 as he was at the start and really drove at Liverpool's back four in the last 10 minutes.

That's how I see it. There's no keeper in the Premier League I'd be signing, as any upgrade is marginal at best.

If that Roma fella is the business then get him, if they're not 100% sure he's a significant upgrade then pay the extra and get that Oblak, as everyone seems to think he's phenomenal (only seem him a couple of times so can't comment).

Let me get this straight. You're saying that an upgrade from Mignolet to De Sea or Courtois is a marginal upgrade at best?

Wow, just wow.

Let me get this straight. You're saying that an upgrade from Mignolet to De Sea or Courtois is a marginal upgrade at best?

Wow, just wow.

Let me answer, me, me, me.

I think the view is that we'd have zero chance of signing De Gea or Courtois.  Outside of those two, any upgrade would be marginal.

• Upvote 3

Wow, just wow.

Wow, just wow.

no what he meant de gea and courtois are street ahead of the rest (so no chance getting them in) and the rest are not much of an upgrade on mignolet which i think is fair comment