You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

22nd Jan PL, The Swans better Duck, the Liver Birds are in town. Swansea v Liverpool

Guest Pistonbroke

I'm actually happier with the extra couple of days to get City out of our system. Psychologically and tactically, it's a big turnaround to go from playing the best team in the league to playing the worst. I think we'll be prepared for this one; moreso than we would be if it were, for example, on 12:30 on Saturday.

Definitely fair points you make about the extra time and the difference going from best to worst - but as I said there is always the nagging worry with us in situations where we are either under pressure after others results or have an opportunity after others results.

Plus isn't our record on Mondays poor?

All that said these are dire and we should have too much for them.

Take that all day long

To be honest ill take a terrible 1-0 with the ball bouncing in of Firminos arse in the 3rd min of extra time with our first shot on target

And the 92 minutes before that would be such pleasurable reading on this thread. Double win really

The Guardian did a series ten years back where people did things that they had never done before, in this case Oliver Burkeman going to a football match, a 2-2 draw at Anfield with Aston Villa. It's an entertaining read, but the reason it has stuck with me was this part:

But Liverpool equalise, and the match stumbles to a draw, prompting much smiting of foreheads: this is, apparently, an embarrassing result for the home team. It takes a very long time to shuffle out of the stadium. As we do, I ask Adam, in a low voice, "You're not really bothered, though, are you? Really?"

Adam explains that he does really care, and that the outcome of a Liverpool match has a detectible effect on his mood for several days afterwards. But surely the ups and downs are what make it exciting? There'd be no fun in supporting a team that was guaranteed to win every match 6-0, would there?

Actually, says Adam, that would be great.

Damn right, Adam. Barring a 6-0 win, there's no pleasure to be had tonight. Any other kind of win will just be misery avoided. Anything other than a win is misery.

This supporting lark isn't healthy, it really isn't.

The Guardian did a series ten years back where people did things that they had never done before, in this case Oliver Burkeman going to a football match, a 2-2 draw at Anfield with Aston Villa. It's an entertaining read, but the reason it has stuck with me was this part:

Damn right, Adam. Barring a 6-0 win, there's no pleasure to be had tonight. Any other kind of win will just be misery avoided. Anything other than a win is misery.

This supporting lark isn't healthy, it really isn't.

It isn’t if you can only find pleasure in a crushing victory.

I’m looking forward to a good game of football and hopefully 3 points, however they come.

• Upvote 2

Day off, nice bit of lunch later with Mrs G and then the match this afternoon in these parts. Come on Liverpool let’s do this.

I think we will win well, assuming we have the right effort and intensity, but any win will do.

The main part is a win opens up a little gap on Spurs. They’ve been better than us for a few years and if we put that right and bump them out of the top four, it could cause them to wobble. New stadium coming and Harry Kane the star man, who surely won’t stand for not playing in the Champions League too long.