You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

VAR Thoughts?

Lee909

I like it used for anything off the ball

The Holgate thing,pulling in the box on corners,elbows off the ball.

What do you decide is or isnt important

A corner/goalkick late on could be important.

It is being used for off the ball things. The Ashley Young elbow the other week would have resulted in a red card.

It should only be used for black and white decisions such as offsides and whether the ball crossed the line or not. It will take too long for penalties and because of differing opinions it won't stop fans moaning.

It’s not meant to stop fans moaning and to get everything right, it’s meant to clean up the howlers.

It is being used for off the ball things. The Ashley Young elbow the other week would have resulted in a red card.

Thought it was only for things the ref sent up to be reviewed?

If not fine happy with that

Really just don't want it creeping in and stop start all the time.

Thought it was only for things the ref sent up to be reviewed?

If not fine happy with that

Really just don't want it creeping in and stop start all the time.

Yeah mate, the VAR would have seen the replay that the viewers seen and he’d have told the ref in the next break in play. He’d then have sent off Young.

I just want games to be as just as possible. As I said earlier, that Suarez winner at Goodison was heartbreaking because it was a valid goal. Imagine having it ruled out and then seeing it over-turned. Scenes.

• Upvote 1

To be honest they have made some labourious decisions in the Bundesliga and Serie A. It was supposed to settle the debate in 15 to 30 seconds but some of the delays while the ref looks at the incident then looks again and again and again is a bit tedious. You could say if they reach the right decision so what but in more than a few instances I watched it still did not look like they got the decision right. Not sure what the answer is though.

Some teams waste about 50% of the game by kicking the ball away before an opponent's throw in, standing in front of a free kick taker, moaning at the ref, feigning injury, etc, etc.

The idea that we couldn't possibly have a ref use another couple of minutes each game to ensure entire fucking seasons aren't ruined because of the incompetence of these bellends is nonsense.

They need all the help they can get because, in the words of the great philosopher "Zonkoville", they're fucking shite.

• Upvote 1

I like the fact we will never really know if Garcia's goal was actually a goal. The idea it may not have been sits very easily with me. Mistakes are part of football, they make it better.

I just can’t get my head around this attitude at all mate. I just can’t, I wish I could!

In that particular scenario the VAR would have give us a pen anyway and Cech would have been off, don’t forget.

• Upvote 1

I just can’t get my head around this attitude at all mate. I just can’t, I wish I could!

In that particular scenario the VAR would have give us a pen anyway and Cech would have been off, don’t forget.

Why though? What if the video ref shit his pants at having to give such a momentous decision as sending Cech off so early in the match and so recommended a yellow card?

Why though? What if the video ref shit his pants at having to give such a momentous decision as sending Cech off so early in the match and so recommended a yellow card?

Then he’d have made a mistake, much to the delight of people who seemingly like officials making mistakes.

• Upvote 1

So there's no point in VAR then eh as the video ref is equally capable of making mistakes?

I agree with goal line technology though.

Say there are 100 howlers in a season, i.e. clear mistakes that everyone agrees with.

VAR overturns 95 of them. Loads of noise and arguments about the 5 but 95% of them were correctly fixed.

Of course there’s a point.

It’s not about completely removing mistakes, it’s about reducing them.

• Upvote 1

Say there are 100 howlers in a season, i.e. clear mistakes that everyone agrees with.

VAR overturns 95 of them. Loads of noise and arguments about the 5 but 95% of them were correctly fixed.

Of course there’s a point.

It’s not about completely removing mistakes, it’s about reducing them.

I don't think that will happen though. See the various takes on the penalties for Everton and Us recently.

I don't think that will happen though. See the various takes on the penalties for Everton and Us recently.

Both of those incidents would stay with the on-field referees decision because there wasn’t a clear error. I don’t think either were pens but they are debatable.

It seems a bit slow because we're used to seeing something happen when the game stops, like a melee around the ref, rather than staring at a middle aged man with a finger in his ear. However, I like the fact that they're not trying to get everything right, but instead asking the question "Is there any obvious reason I should overturn the original decision?", much like an Umpire's call that's been reviewed in cricket. If it's close, inconclusive, debatable etc. then they go with the ref's decision.

We'll still have arguments over decisions, like the Forest penalty that was a double kick, where you can tell from the trajectory of the ball it almost certainly ricocheted off his standing foot, but because you can't see the contact clearly it'd likely stand as a goal.

The early days will come with teething problems - particularly for Serie A, where they're used to appealing everything and convincing themselves they deserve a throw in, even after ballooning the ball into the stands off their own shins when there's no-one within ten yards - but it'll hopefully stop the absolute howlers that can ruin games, like just about every major decision Howard Webb bottled.

• Upvote 1