You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tommy Lawrence (The Flying Pig)

Sputnik1

Got told today from my cousin who had regular contact with him and the older players that he had leukaemia and had been ill for ages. Also he was completely broke and used one gas bottle to heat his entire house.

Really sad to read that

Without wanting to sidetrack this thread but surely the club could help out former players from that era in similar need.

RIP Tommy, YNWA

• Upvote 2

Got told today from my cousin who had regular contact with him and the older players that he had leukaemia and had been ill for ages. Also he was completely broke and used one gas bottle to heat his entire house.

Heartbreaking and I doubt if he's he only one. Shame on the FA, the PFA and the clubs for letting this happen.

Another of my heroes from my youth gone. Great player and thanks to Shanks' astuteness was ready to replace big Jim when the time came.

Somehow though, I can't seem to be able to picture him in an all yellow strip.

I remember my dad talking about Tommy Lawrence when I was a kid. RIP.

I know players of that generation didn’t make much, so just want to echo what was said above. I’d love it if the club could set aside some sort of fund just to see them straight. In the grand scheme of things all the lucky buggers who play today, and are so handsomely rewarded for it, do so on the backs of the players who went before.

Fuck. That’s upsetting to hear that. Either the club should be helping the ex-players out or there should be a social media campaign so that fans can help out. I hope there will be an appropriate turnout for the funeral.

My cousin did a few fundraising events the last few years for Ron Yeats who has Alzheimers and Ian St John who had a brain operation. Without wanting to hijack this thread as it should be about remembering him, she contacted the club on several occasions via email and a certain club official who has mysteriously disappeared off social media recently but got no reply.

Last game of the season 1964 we beat Arsenal 5-1 to win the League. Tommy saved a penalty and. when Liverpool got a penalty with the match more or less won everyone wanted Tommy to take it but he wasn't having any.

Only the Koppites could christen one of their heroes 'The Flying Pig'

Great memories - RIP Tommy

Terrible to hear, not wishing to sidetrack the thread but there's millions of wasted pounds given to agents, if only the FA handled transfers for a nominal fee and banned agents. Then used the money to help players that are less fortunate than the multi millionaires. 

• Upvote 1

Passed away today. 

Tommy Lawrence was a stocky built Scotsman who was Bill Shankly's first choice goalkeeper.

Lawrence had been at Anfield for five years when he got his opportunity in Liverpool's first season in the top flight after Jim Furnell got injured 13 games into the season.

Tommy grabbed his chance with both hands and typically didn't let go of the shirt for the next eight years. In fact, Ray Clemence had to wait over two years to get the No.1 shirt off him.

Having been a junior at Anfield, Tommy signed professional forms on October 30, 1957, a few months after his 17th birthday.

Strong, brave and consistent, Lawrence was a reliable and fearless goalkeeper, even if he was affectionately dubbed "The Flying Pig" by supporters who felt he was carrying a bit too much weight!

He only missed four league matches in six seasons as the Reds won the First Division Championship twice plus the FA Cup for the first time in the club’s history.

Bill Shankly was reluctant to break up the team that had brought so much success to the club in the middle of the 1960’s but an FA Cup quarter-final defeat to Second Division Watford proved to be Tommy’s penultimate appearance in the Liverpool first team.

Ray Clemence, who had made his league debut at Nottingham Forest at the end of January 1970, was picked for the next league match after that cup exit.

Lawrence made the short trip across the river Mersey at the age of 31 to join Tranmere Rovers, shortly to be joined by his old Liverpool skipper Ron Yeats.

Tommy added another 80 Football League appearances to the 306 he had made for Liverpool before moving on to non-league Chorley.

He made one Under-21 appearance for Scotland plus three for their full international team.

lawrence_liverpoolandscotland.jpg

John Aldridge

@Realaldo474

Sad news for all Lfc and football fans! Tommy Lawrence has passed away,What a great servant to Lfc as well has a true Gentleman. Respect and Condolences to all his family.YNWA

No gloves, proper keeper.

• Upvote 2

Terrible to hear, not wishing to sidetrack the thread but there's millions of wasted pounds given to agents, if only the FA handled transfers for a nominal fee and banned agents. Then used the money to help players that are less fortunate than the multi millionaires.

Yep. Also, the club should be doing a lot more. It’s disgraceful, really.

A vital cog in Shankly's team of the 60's who never really got the respect he deserved.

I remember him making a great save against Eveton in the 66 Charity shield at Goodison ( from Alex Scott,I think). Seemed a nice,down to earth guy,as well.

It might have been due to the silly nickname,or the fact that Clemence who replaced him was a better keeper, but he should be revered by your fans.

Sad,if true, that he spent his letter years in financial trouble and poor health

R.I.P Tommy

• Upvote 3

A vital cog in Shankly's team of the 60's who never really got the respect he deserved.

I remember him making a great save against Eveton in the 66 Charity shield at Goodison ( from Alex Scott,I think). Seemed a nice,down to earth guy,as well.

It might have been due to the silly nickname,or the fact that Clemence who replaced him was a better keeper, but he should be revered by your fans.

Sad,if true, that he spent his letter years in financial trouble and poor health

R.I.P Tommy

I don't think he did fail to get a lot respect, certainly amongst the Liverpool fans which is really what counts. I can remember my old fella and my Uncle discussing him and they thought he was the bravest keeper in the league and a rock at the back . Clemence was outstanding of course and he and Shilton head and shoulders above anyone else for many years but in the sixties perhaps only Banks could claim to be better than Tommy, 

• Upvote 1

I hope the club and the fans give him the appreciation he deserves at the weekend.

I echo the thoughts about looking after former players, especially those from round that era who earned considerably less.

I really hope the club do something for him, and all the players from the 60s and early 70s who created the legend.

and I hope the forumites spend a thought for us older generation who watched those teams winning lots of of stuff.  I'll start a just giving page where you can donate anything from as little as the cost of a pint.

The club wouldn't be anywhere near the money making machine it is today without these fellas like Tommy Lawrence who built it's illustrious history - men who actually won things for this club and gave it it's standing.

With all the money that is pissed up the wall to agents etc and huge wages paid to waste of space players like Markovic et al who aren't worth the steam off the likes of Tommy Lawrence's piss, the club really should do something to help those who are still around where it is needed.

Not sure what the club already does to be fair but if it is fuck all then it is a disgrace.

• Upvote 1