You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Hedgehogs

Mook

General Dryness, on 21 Dec 2017 - 05:19 AM, said:

Loads of them here. Usually see three or four dead ones by the side of the road in a 20 minute car journey. Had a couple in the garden this year too.

Mrs D is the only person I know that's ever stepped in hedgehog shit.

Weird. No hedgehogs in Australia (unless you count echidnas).

I presume they must have been introduced to NZ by lonesome scots settlers hoping to ram them up their arse.

• Upvote 1

Weird. No hedgehogs in Australia (unless you count echidnas).

I presume they must have been introduced to NZ by lonesome scots settlers hoping to ram them up their arse.

It did strike me as a bit strange. They can't be a native species so they must have been brought, which seems a somewhat pointless act unless arse ramming was the objective.

A quick internet search tells me that they were introduced by settlers that missed their homeland.

Weird cunts sitting on the verandah saying "this New Zealand is all good and that, but fuck me I don't half miss hedgehogs". Fucking mentalists.

We're missing them and we havent even emigrated. Any chance you could send a few back?

Someone told me it was to do with people having concrete slabs at the bottom of their fences, making it more difficult for the hedgehogs to pass between gardens looking for food. Seen one in my mums garden in the last few years and they’ve got mesh fencing. So that’s gospel now.

Yup, this is a common issue. You can get special gravel boards with holes in for hedgehogs, I've specified them in gardens for new houses in areas where they live.

Put a hole in our fence so they can get between the gardens and the field out back and a bowl of hedgehog food with water. They appeared from the first night, we have up to four visiting including a very young one. We've put a decent size hedgehog house out too.

Been doing this since May and the food was being munched from the first night. They're still visiting and haven't hibernated yet although we're down to a couple of regulars now.

• Upvote 2

Put a hole in our fence so they can get between the gardens and the field out back and a bowl of hedgehog food with water. They appeared from the first night, we have up to four visiting including a very young one. We've put a decent size hedgehog house out too.

Been doing this since May and the food was being munched from the first night. They're still visiting and haven't hibernated yet although we're down to a couple of regulars now.

They're Rats in fancy dress mate.