You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Was it a penalty?

rondeco

Was it?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Peno?

It wasn't a penalty. Lovren shouldn't have given the referee a decision to make, but there's nowhere near enough contact for the lad to hit the deck. 

If that's deemed worthy of a penalty then surely every time there's a set-piece, there's about seven or eight fouls committed in the box? 

• Upvote 3

Not a penalty because the striker engineered the contact by stepping away from the line of the ball and into Lovren. As Lovren's arms are attached to his shoulders it was inevitable that they were going to come into contact with the striker's back.

• Upvote 3

It wasn't a penalty. Lovren shouldn't have given the referee a decision to make, but there's nowhere near enough contact for the lad to hit the deck. 

If that's deemed worthy of a penalty then surely every time there's a set-piece, there's about seven or eight fouls committed in the box? 

I don't get that argument in this case. There's always contact in these situations, otherwise there's already too much space between them and the defender isn't doing his job properly. Disgraceful decision.

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke

Not a penalty because the striker engineered the contact by stepping away from the line of the ball and into Lovren. As Lovren's arms are attached to his shoulders it was inevitable that they were going to come into contact with the striker's back.

This saves me typing what I wanted, cheers AWS. 

It's wrong, but clearly there's different rules applied at set-pieces and also for similar incidents outside the box.

I voted yes. If it had been the other way round I wouldn't have been screaming for it for us cos it was soft, but I'd have been pissed off if it wasn't given because you know you'll see one next weekend that is given, and probably for one of our rivals.

I think "these days" that's given as a penalty 7/10 times.

• Upvote 2

It's wrong, but clearly there's different rules applied at set-pieces and also for similar incidents outside the box.

I voted yes. If it had been the other way round I wouldn't have been screaming for it for us cos it was soft, but I'd have been pissed off if it wasn't given because you know you'll see one next weekend that is given, and probably for one of our rivals.

I think "these days" that's given as a penalty 7/10 times.

I do not think it does in fact I would say you will be lucky to see that given as a pen 2 times out of 10.

Who would want to be a defender... with a fucking decision as bad as that. Its an abomination of a decision and if it had been given down the other end i would have been embarassed.

Carra would have given away 2 pens a game his whole career if he thinks thats a pen.

• Upvote 3

I’ve just been trying to think of a way to blame Mignolet, but never a penalty. We take our chances and referees cannot affect the game to the same extent. Our own fault really.

It's Mig's fault for mouthing off after the Stoke game and pising off the ref's union. Standard punishment is three soft pens so one more to come.

It appears we have 6 Everton fans on our forums:

• Strontium Dog
  • Moo
  • Alex_K
  • Ian Sea
  • deiseach
  • sh#t waffle
Wasn't a penno and I hope Lovern pushes you over and you scrape your knee.

Complaining about a refereeing decision in a Derby, and you refer to us as Everton fans?

I'm guessing they don't have irony wherever you are.

• Upvote 2