You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Antivirus stuff

JohnnyH

I bought a new laptop recently as I’ve started a Masters degree and so wanted all the work separate from my work laptop. After having it 6 months the free McAfee security has run out, so I want a new antivirus thingy. I was told to download AVG but that just keeps scanning my computer and then offering me packages to buy to clear it?

Can any of you computer literate folk recommend an antivirus download? Ideally free, but if it’s better to buy one then please tell me what one to buy.

Muchos thank yous

I bought a new laptop recently as I’ve started a Masters degree and so wanted all the work separate from my work laptop. After having it 6 months the free McAfee security has run out, so I want a new antivirus thingy. I was told to download AVG but that just keeps scanning my computer and then offering me packages to buy to clear it?

Can any of you computer literate folk recommend an antivirus download? Ideally free, but if it’s better to buy one then please tell me what one to buy.

Muchos thank yous

Miicrosofts antivirus is free and should suffice if your looking for a free one, it also won't slow down your computer.

• 3 weeks later...

I use Avast daily and Malwarebytes weekly. The latter is a heavy duty cunt smasher.

Ditto.  Only had one issue with Avast, it updated one day then refused to let my guitar software run unhindered.  After loads of fucking about, I uninstalled it, cleaned the registry with Cache Cleaner and re-installed Avast with a slightly different set of options ticked.

It's been pretty good ever since, but it does tend to go a bit mad when I'm trying to open streams so I can watch the game.