You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

GF music review club

Carvalho Diablo

Hope you enjoy the new AOW guys. Following me in the rotation is Zonkoville 77 and then Red Talisker.

Zonko to present his 1st AOW around Monday / Tuesday 28th / 29th May. Hopefully we shall all still be nursing sore heads and be in a euphoric celebratory mood.

Quick review of this one - been busy, sorry.

The Mummies - Never Been Caught.

Brings me to my teenage years and watching bands play on broken/fixed up equipment and pushing everything to 11. For such a shitty sound recording it packs a punch. It sounds like the bad were just taking the complete piss and having a ball. Just racous nonsensical mania. Great.

Getting kind of 60s surfer vibes throughout, overly fuzzy as fuck guitar and prodding basslines throughout. No real idea what he's singing about at times but it doesn't really matter. It's just rock n roll, isn't it? 

7/10 - enjoyed it after the 2nd listen. First time around I wasn't in the humour and it just sounded noisy for noise sake.

• Upvote 1

Just picked up the new GAS album and about to press play. Get the feeling no one on here is into this type of shit though?

Hey Jim, have a look back over the thread and take a listen too some of the albums selected, see what you think and drop in a review or three. We have a couple of vacancies going spare in the club if you'd care to join in, review and ultimately share your own album of the week?

Hey Jim, have a look back over the thread and take a listen too some of the albums selected, see what you think and drop in a review or three. We have a couple of vacancies going spare in the club if you'd care to join in, review and ultimately share your own album of the week?

Okay, thanks mate. Will do. Nice one

Okay, thanks mate. Will do. Nice one

Great stuff.

It's Zonko and then Redtalisker to choose next, but unless Shooter minds then perhaps you could jump into the rotation thereafter?

Look forward to reading your reviews though Jim, absolutely up to you, no set format.

Great stuff.

It's Zonko and then Redtalisker to choose next, but unless Shooter minds then perhaps you could jump into the rotation thereafter?

Look forward to reading your reviews though Jim, absolutely up to you, no set format.

If we get another album to listen to, I'm game.

Queensryche: Operation Mindcrime

I had never heard of Queensryche so didn't know what to expect. I initially didn't realise this was a concept album either, but as concept albums go, this is very good. The musicianship throughout is top notch, and the lyrics to every track are very good and tell a great story. Themes which are still very relevant now, 30 years later. Sex, Religion, Drugs, Violence, Politics - has the lot.  It is such a well thought out, well written and properly structured album.

I do fell the bass sometimes gets lost or is too far back in the mix at times. I'm not a fan of the vocal style to be honest, but I can't fault it. The drumming and guitar riffs are the highlight for me. It did take me 4-5 listens to really get into it, and I could see this being a bit of a 'marmite' situation for some people, but I feel as though but it was well worth the perseverance.

I remember: - Spoken story intro.

Anarchy - X - great instrumental opener, a prelude to the next track. Paints a picture of what to expect from rest of the album

Revolution Calling: -  The vocals immediately stand out for me here. Guitars are strong and powerful, great chorus to sing along with. 

"I used to trust the media...." "who do you trust when everyone is a crook?"

- Some things never change, eh?

Operation Mindcrime: - what a guitar solo on this track. The story really kicks in here with description of the lead protagonist Nikki's slow descent and involvement with the shadowy Dr X.

Speak: Again excellent riffs. Great Vocal.

Spreading the Disease: - Highlight of the album for me. The vocal soars throughout this track. "25 bucks a fuck" - great line. Sister Mary the prostitute-turned-Nun is introduced to the story here along with a worldview of corruption and overseas crime. Brilliant lyrics in this whole track.

The Mission: The picked guitar intro to this is I think from a Pink Floyd track but I can't for the life of me figure out which track. Amazing Solo again. The Protagonist falls in love with Sister Mary here and so setting up for the next few tracks.

Suite Sister Mary: 10 mins of excellent listening. The story fullythrashed out here. Starting with a soft, clean guitar riff with subtle haunting vocals - it sets an atmosphere of despair. The pace picks up and then the female vocal keeps the tone of track going, more than capable of matching the lead vocalist.

The Needle Lies: Proper rocking track here. Reminds me of Iron Maiden but better. "Don't ever trust the needle" he sings. So catchy. Another great solo.

Electric Requiem: Bit of an Interlude. Hearing PF here. Could easily be from The Wall. 

Breaking the Silence: Booming Chorus, proper rocking guitars. Another epic guitar solo here.

I Don't believe in Love: Vocals are near perfect on this track, faultless. It has the feel of an 80's power ballad - more great guitar work. The story continues with Nikki's descent further described here.

Waiting for 22: Interlude - more story/mood setting

My Empty Room: further expansion of the story - PF The Wall like atmospherics.

Eyes of a Stranger: I'm hearing PF Welcome to the Machine here in the intro. Probably the softest track on the album, closing the story as we're taken back to the hospital where it started. Atmospheric and haunting. Great closure to the album.

In conclusion, the concept is very good as are the Lyrics telling the story. Lead singers' vocals are faultless at times (even if they are not my bag) and there are some epic guitar solos. Some tracks are filler tracks but are essential to the storytelling. Overall, a very enjoyable listen 8/10

• Upvote 2

Queensryche: Operation Mindcrime

I've heard of these, in so much as I knew they were a band even if I could not name a single track of theirs and while not certain was fairly confident they inhabited that heavy region of rock I don't particularly like to wander. So there might have been a few sighs at this week's choice prior to getting to the nitty-gritty of actually listening. No, that's not entirely true. A more accurate description would probably be me grumbling to myself that Carvalho was trying to make my ears bleed again. Think it would be fair to say I wasn't particularly looking forward to this one. Having played it for the first time last night this is what I found. 

He has one of those voices. The type that always tends to end up as heavy rock or metal singer. That style of guitar playing so prevalent in the 80's with this genre of rock is present here too. Either is enough normally to get my hackles raised up. And yet despite this I really enjoyed the album. So much so I would put this in front of all the other hard/heavy rock/metal choices we've had so far. Yes there were a few eyebrow rising moments when I thought it was a bit too much but mainly I got so caught up in story of the album I either didn't mind or care too much. There were a few other things that helped too. It was never as heavy as thought it might be prior to listening. The musicianship was top notch too and there was enough variation in the music that I never fixated on the bits that I didn't like. Lastly the spoken dialogue on the album really helped tell the story and added a lot.  For some I could see that would make it a bit too much rock opera but I really loved that.

All in all I think you did well with this one Carvalho.

• Upvote 1

Operation: Mindcrime

I heard this about 20 years ago, in fact no it was late 94, early 95. I remember not liking it back then because I always associated the style of Queensryche to the likes of Motley Crüe and other 80’s glam metal bands that I really did despise. Plus being a Seattle band they were nothing like Alice In Chains, Mother Love Bone, Pearl Jam & my ultimate Seattle band, Soundgarden.

That association really did make me avoid them ever since. So I’m going in to this with a slightly biased opinion from the off; but it’s an opinion that’s based on a 15 year old’s mindset. So let’s see how much my tastes have developed since getting a really good standard of facial hair. And a decent haircut. It was down to my chin line back in those days with he back and sides shaved. But let’s move on from that.

Anyway, here goes.

*presses play*

I Remember Now - A little sample of something that gives the impression that it’s a person who’s in a “One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest” type gaff. And they appear to be coming out of a forced drug induced haze. I love the end line from the female “Sweet Dreams........ you bastard!”

Anarchy - X - Here we go, a boss snare marching beat, very Floyd “The Wall” era influence straight into that 80’s solo sound on the guitar. But those strings and drums. Fucking hell. Sound amazing. I’m starting to feel I had this severely wrong all those years ago. Some production this.

Revolution Calling - I like the opening to this. A lot. There is a still a little bit of the wall carrying over into this one. Then a rip roaring solo, but that sound is perfect. And then I remember what put me off. The singer. It’s that style that I cringe at. It’s just too “operatic” for me. But it’s early days and I’ve got to give a listen. While his vocal style is not my favourite style, his melodies and patterns are pretty fucking good.

Operation: Mindcrime - The title track. A heavy moody, roomy type opening riff. A big dirty bass pounding the fuck out of your face. I get the impression the singer is heavily influenced by Ann Wilson of Heart (Barracuda springs to mind) which actually changes my opinion a little.

Speak - Not feeling this one as much as the other two. I like the riff but that’s it. The singer is still grating. I do like the chorus though. And again, his melodies and patterns are pretty fucking good. Actually, by the third and fourth listen this grows on me more.

Spreading The Disease - Big sound again (The production on this is really nice) Oh hang on, the singer hasn’t pissed me off from the off on this one. I think he’s actually growing on my a little here. Just a little though. The riffing, bass, drums along with the vocals are tight as fuck. Even though I’m not a fan of the singer this is a great band. Love the line “25 bucks a fuck and John’s a happy man”

The Mission - Defo got ‘The Wall’ influences running through this album. And the start to this is another example. Bit of a slower one this. Love the string arrangements. Singer irritation has slowly subsided by this song. I’m defo convinced he’s influenced by Ann Wilson the more I listen.

Suite Sister Mary - Dark and a few off notes giving an evil tinge. Add in some choral chanting. Giving it more of the Floyd influence but this time from ‘Atom Heart Mother Suite’ (choral bit). The interchanging of vocals between male and female singers really tells the story behind this song brilliantly. I think is my favourite song on the album.

The Needle Lies - Very Iron Maiden this one. Which I think subconsciously made me stop listening like I had with the others. Least favourite. Even after 6 listens.

Electric Requiem - I like the guitar sound on this one. This reminds me of something but can’t quite place it. Each time I listen I lose interest in it.

Breaking The Silence - love that start with those chords and notes of the guitar. Sounds ace. But that’s where it ends for me in terms of excitement. It’s not shit, but just doesn’t keep my attention like the first part of the album.

I Don’t Believe In Love - Again a boss sounding guitar at the beginning, but the song fails to keep me interested. Felt like that on every listen. Which is a shame as the rest of the album is great.

Waiting For 22 - Feels a bit Metallica One at the start for me. Which isn’t a bad thing. Very nice.

My Empty Room - More The Wall going on here. Nothing to write home about. Feels more a space filler than anything.

Eyes Of A Stranger - Dirty Woman from, you’ve guessed it ‘The Wall’ springs to mind with the start. That sequence of chords and notes is the same. Then It goes heavier. Then slows right down. The verses run a Celine Dion pace. Some awesome guitaring, but with that 80’s metal sound. Softest and not the way I would have expected this album to end after the first 6 or 7 songs.

Overall I enjoyed it. Singer won me over. However from The Needle Lies onwards, my interest kept getting lost. Some absolute stonking musicianship and production on this.

I’ll give it a 7.43 due to the fact it didn’t keep me focused till the very end. If it had kept me interested all the way through, I’d have scored it an 8.20.

Nice one for making me change my opinion CD. Objective of this thread met.

• Upvote 1

Some great reviews so far lads, all very fair imo, so thanks a lot.

Skids' point about Mindcrime being very operatic is also bang on too imo, Geoff Tate amd Pamela Moore are the singers on this and they both nailed it. I share the point and the crticism of Tate's vocal style, not being to my taste either tbh, but I honestly think it couldn't have been sang or enunciated any other way.

Pleased you all mostly enjoyed it.

Still plenty of time for the rest of to get your reviews in, Zonko next to post his AOW from early next week. As a first timer it'll prove interesting to see what he goes with, but I hope we're aall in a celebratory mood to recieve it.

This wasn't quite what I expected. I'm a little confused about where Queensrÿche are from as Wiki lists them as from Washington. Was there some link to Seatlle in some way? Their sound is definitely not what I expected and I had certainly never heard of them at all. Which is a good thing as that's the whole point of this thread.

I can only echo what has been said already, with the sound being far more likened to Iron Maiden, Metallica, Black Sabbath and at times an early version of Guns and Roses. I expected to be listening to a sort of Nirvana/Foo Fighters type album and it never quite happened.

Although I can definitely see why it was successful as an album on release (it's quite clever the way it runs through the story, another album like that is The Streets' storyboard) I personally never quite resonated with the album. Perhaps because it's not quite what I expected but most likely because for me personally the music was a little mechanical and over-produced. 

This is the first album that I have listened to on this thread where I had a pre-conceived expectation of what I was going to listen to and the result hasn't quite matched it. It's possible that I am hearing so many different bands play here that it's almost like a compilation of those bands hits. Perhaps I should listen to it again with a different expectation of it but like most people seem to be agreeing, the vocal style is a little hard to listen to at times. This is making it hard for me to listen again.

Really sorry about this, but this is probably the first album selected that hasn't quite done it for me! 

Some great reviews so far lads, all very fair imo, so thanks a lot.

Skids' point about Mindcrime being very operatic is also bang on too imo, Geoff Tate amd Pamela Moore are the singers on this and they both nailed it. I share the point and the crticism of Tate's vocal style, not being to my taste either tbh, but I honestly think it couldn't have been sang or enunciated any other way.

Pleased you all mostly enjoyed it.

Still plenty of time for the rest of to get your reviews in, Zonko next to post his AOW from early next week. As a first timer it'll prove interesting to see what he goes with, but I hope we're aall in a celebratory mood to recieve it.

You’re right there CD, it wouldn’t have been the same if it had been sung any other way.

Suite Sister Mary is an absolute belter. It keeps growing on me even more every time I stick it on.

• Upvote 1

This wasn't quite what I expected. I'm a little confused about where Queensrÿche are from as Wiki lists them as from Washington. Was there some link to Seatlle in some way? Their sound is definitely not what I expected and I had certainly never heard of them at all. Which is a good thing as that's the whole point of this thread.

I can only echo what has been said already, with the sound being far more likened to Iron Maiden, Metallica, Black Sabbath and at times an early version of Guns and Roses. I expected to be listening to a sort of Nirvana/Foo Fighters type album and it never quite happened.

Although I can definitely see why it was successful as an album on release (it's quite clever the way it runs through the story, another album like that is The Streets' storyboard) I personally never quite resonated with the album. Perhaps because it's not quite what I expected but most likely because for me personally the music was a little mechanical and over-produced.

This is the first album that I have listened to on this thread where I had a pre-conceived expectation of what I was going to listen to and the result hasn't quite matched it. It's possible that I am hearing so many different bands play here that it's almost like a compilation of those bands hits. Perhaps I should listen to it again with a different expectation of it but like most people seem to be agreeing, the vocal style is a little hard to listen to at times. This is making it hard for me to listen again.

Really sorry about this, but this is probably the first album selected that hasn't quite done it for me!

Washington state, which contains Seattle. Not Washington the city. Which, erm doesn’t.

Washington state, which contains Seattle. Not Washington the city. Which, erm doesn’t.

Explains the confusion, so there is a State of Washington which doesn't contain Washington DC and Washington DC is in another State altogether. How weird that so many successful bands came out of one small part of an entire State?