You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Anxiety

elvis

I admire you coming forward and volunteering.

It takes a lot of bravery, mate, good for you.

The biggest killer amongst 18-50 men in Britain is suicide, because nobody has the balls to talk about their issues.

In fairness, there's been a lot of talk for about 20 years now but this has come in a climate where mental health funding is being cut, social services are being cut, inequality is rising and people are working harder and longer for less. The more Westernised and capitalistic a country becomes, the higher the rate of mental illness. Some of it can be put down to higher rates of diagnosis, but not all of it. Mental illness can be triggered and maintained by chronic stressors like isolation, poverty, worries about the future and a whole lot more. As inequality and consumerism rise, people make fewer lasting, human connections which can often help weather the storms of bad mood. Elder wisdom about how to deal with life events is replaced by inaccessible, expensive therapy with long waiting times. Humanity has lost its soul in this divisive, world-destroying economic ethos, the fallout is inevitable. 

In fairness, there's been a lot of talk for about 20 years now but this has come in a climate where mental health funding is being cut, social services are being cut, inequality is rising and people are working harder and longer for less. The more Westernised and capitalistic a country becomes, the higher the rate of mental illness. Some of it can be put down to higher rates of diagnosis, but not all of it. Mental illness can be triggered and maintained by chronic stressors like isolation, poverty, worries about the future and a whole lot more. As inequality and consumerism rise, people make fewer lasting, human connections which can often help weather the storms of bad mood. Elder wisdom about how to deal with life events is replaced by inaccessible, expensive therapy with long waiting times. Humanity has lost its soul in this divisive, world-destroying economic ethos, the fallout is inevitable.

But we still have beer and in a fuck you to capitalistic monopolistic pigs the wee craft brewers are gaining market shares.

Still like my Heineken though.

Goldfish ill = capitalism

Raining = capitalism

Mum doesn’t fancy me anymore = capitalism

Kill everyone who disagrees with me = communism

Back on topic I had a panic attack once in the Edinburgh ikea. Honestly thought I was going to die.

Hope you get sorted, can’t imagine how hard it must be to deal with.

I've had health anxiety for about 6 months since having a cancer scare in May. It's getting better now but I've had constant upper back pain (not related to any kind of injury), muscle twitches, headaches, shortness of breath, night sweats, insomnia, fatigue and a bunch of other weird sensations that come and go. I've been incessantly googling symptoms and have managed to believe that I have either a brain tumor, Lymphoma or Lung Cancer. I've also been to the doctor 6 times since it started, probably more than I've been in the past 15 years.

In my heart of hearts I know that I don't have these diseases because of the nature of my symptoms and because of the tests I've gotten, but anytime the symptoms rear their head, I start thinking about it again.

The only thing that has made it better is a combo of medication (Cymbalta), counselling, more exercise and just living life, being social, going out, etc...

I don't know what it feels like to have health anxiety about other people, but I definitely know how hard it is to get rid of it. I'd say try a combination of treatments and lifestyle changes like I did. Medication only isn't enough. 

• Upvote 2

Good post 3S. Each person has their own unique blend of medications, therapies and lifestyle changes to help manage, and eventually change the course of the illness. The key is not to give up. Keep mixing and matching, trying different combinations and intensities until you find something that works for you.

Goldfish ill = capitalism

Raining = capitalism

Mum doesn’t fancy me anymore = capitalism

Kill everyone who disagrees with me = communism

Back on topic I had a panic attack once in the Edinburgh ikea. Honestly thought I was going to die.

Hope you get sorted, can’t imagine how hard it must be to deal with.

Flat pack furniture cunts.

I had a spell were I constantly would worry about those close to me dying, id imagine all sorts for no reason it stemmed from someone dying(well murdered) and my lack of control over it, I thought if someone like that can just be killed then they all can!! I was also consumed with revenge as i wanted the person offed who done it to them but the people concerned didn't want that to happen, this affected me as it just didn't fit into my way of thinking, it still doesn't...

I don't have the answers mate, I still think of shit daily but I try to not let it consume me, as when I do this is when it gets bad, the best way I can describe it is as Nietzsche said about looking into Monsters and becoming one yourself etc...

It's hard mate, but for me its best to look at the loved ones I have around me and do the best I can for now... I will get bad thoughts I just have to fight them...

+1 for Nietzsche quote

the follow on to that is "And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you", which sounds like what was happening to you before you broke the cycle.

Live in the Now.