You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Anxiety

elvis

Doctor tells me i have a phobia due to past losses of close family members , been referred back for CBT behavioural therapy .

Anyone else struggle with this. ? It gas got me by the balls , this time don't want to get out of bed , can't eat feel like I'm in mourning all day long and doesn't ease until evening when it's acceptable to start drinking. Fucking painful

• Upvote 2

Doctor tells me i have a phobia due to past losses of close family members , been referred back for CBT behavioural therapy .

Anyone else struggle with this. ? It gas got me by the balls , this time don't want to get out of bed , can't eat feel like I'm in mourning all day long and doesn't ease until evening when it's acceptable to start drinking. Fucking painful

Did the NHS offer you any counselling?

I left my house to go to the funeral, but otherwise stayed inside for at least 3 months, after my dad passed. The sessions with the NHS were extremely productive, if nothing else it does compel you to talk and think long-term.

• Upvote 1

Did the NHS offer you any counselling?

I left my house to go to the funeral, but otherwise stayed inside for at least 3 months, after my dad passed. The sessions with the NHS were extremely productive, if nothing else it does compel you to talk and think long-term.

I struggled with it on and off for 25 years since my mother died , then my father and brother died . The fact my wife has been in remission  ever since i met her is a constant worry (even though at the moment we are having a bad time )  so every little niggle or visit to the doctors she has ever had has taken its tole on me - usually less so her .

This whole thing  has transferred to my daughter now so i don't see much light at the end of the tunnel 

i had a couple of sessions with a cognitive behavioural therapist last year , she said i should have sought help a long time ago - she was nice and talked things through but for a couple of reasons i couldn't continue - hence the new referral where im determined to stick it out 

My missus has it, alongside depression and a variety of other mental health issues. It’s been going on for about six months now. It’s tough going. It’s not nice seeing her suffer and whilst I’m generally patient there’s been a few times when the stress of it all has caused my own physical health issues to come to the fore. When I’m wiped out like that I don’t have the energy or compassion needed to deal with her. It’s a bit of a viscous circle and all I can do is try to crack on with things and hope she gets better soon.

I struggled with it on and off for 25 years since my mother died , then my father and brother died . The fact my wife has been in remission  ever since i met her is a constant worry (even though at the moment we are having a bad time )  so every little niggle or visit to the doctors she has ever had has taken its tole on me - usually less so her .

This whole thing  has transferred to my daughter now so i don't see much light at the end of the tunnel 

i had a couple of sessions with a cognitive behavioural therapist last year , she said i should have sought help a long time ago - she was nice and talked things through but for a couple of reasons i couldn't continue - hence the new referral where im determined to stick it out

If you don't mind me asking, mate, did both your Dad and brother die recently? Within a close timeframe?

Have they given you antidepressants? I had ridiculous anxiety and panic attacks for months when I was 19 eventually I went docs and they made me feel normal again ( took a month or two)

There's a stigma over antidepressants but they can help massively

I was on antidepressants over 20 years ago and i dont think i enjoyed the ride if i remember rightly , made be a bit emotional and i think more vulnerable - no doubt things have progressed since then - i just dont want to risk taking something that might make me feel worse 

My missus has it, alongside depression and a variety of other mental health issues. It’s been going on for about six months now. It’s tough going. It’s not nice seeing her suffer and whilst I’m generally patient there’s been a few times when the stress of it all has caused my own physical health issues to come to the fore. When I’m wiped out like that I don’t have the energy or compassion needed to deal with her. It’s a bit of a viscous circle and all I can do is try to crack on with things and hope she gets better soon.

Anxiety you mean ? , my problem is the slightest whiff of a minor health issue with my daughter has the potential in my mind to become a life threatening problem - it's actually making me crazy 

Anxiety you mean ? , my problem is the slightest whiff of a minor health issue with my daughter has the potential in my mind to become a life threatening problem - it's actually making me crazy

Yes mate. She’s been diagnosed with anxiety, depression, agoraphobia, some kind of personality disorder and one or two other conditions. I think it all stemmed from me getting diagnosed with MS a couple of years back. It definitely hit her harder than me but all of these things she’s suffering from only became prevalent earlier this year when she was having a bad time at work and we finally knocked smoking weed on the head.

She’s the same as you described there. Worrying herself sick about minor things, spending a lot of time in bed, minimal patience, etc.

Yes mate. She’s been diagnosed with anxiety, depression, agoraphobia, some kind of personality disorder and one or two other conditions. I think it all stemmed from me getting diagnosed with MS a couple of years back. It definitely hit her harder than me but all of these things she’s suffering from only became prevalent earlier this year when she was having a bad time at work and we finally knocked smoking weed on the head.

She’s the same as you described there. Worrying herself sick about minor things, spending a lot of time in bed, minimal patience, etc.

That's very sad mate , has she seen anyone , or is this a silly question ? The patience thing is true with me also , none whatsoever 

My wife has a family history of depression (her sister was diagnosed bipolar ) also , she takes pills for it and is sometimes up and down, maybe the reason she isn't so affected  with health fears is due to her medication. 

That's very sad mate , has she seen anyone , or is this a silly question ? The patience thing is true with me also , none whatsoever

My wife has a family history of depression (her sister was diagnosed bipolar ) also , she takes pills for it and is sometimes up and down, maybe the reason she isn't so affected with health fears is due to her medication.

Yeah, they’ve switched her meds about four times just trying to find something that works for her without shitty side effects. She’s back at the doctors this week and hopefully we’ll get some news about the CBT. I’ve heard nothing but good things about it. Fingers crossed it goes well for you too.

• Upvote 1

No my dad died in 2004 my brother 2014

I admire you coming forward and volunteering.

It takes a lot of bravery, mate, good for you.

The biggest killer amongst 18-50 men in Britain is suicide, because nobody has the balls to talk about their issues.

• Upvote 1

Yeah had it on and off for a while mate, hit me really hard a couple of years back and then again but not as bad nearly a year back. My symptoms are lots of mild panic symptoms mainly rather than conscious anxiety.

It's a horrible place to be but it does go, it dwindles on its own naturally but I would recommend some meds to help you through it, I'm on citalopram.

I admire you coming forward and volunteering.

It takes a lot of bravery, mate, good for you.

The biggest killer amongst 18-50 men in Britain is suicide, because nobody has the balls to talk about their issues.

That's an amazing and very telling statistic and yet still nothing happens 

Yeah had it on and off for a while mate, hit me really hard a couple of years back and then again but not as bad nearly a year back. My symptoms are lots of mild panic symptoms mainly rather than conscious anxiety.

It's a horrible place to be but it does go, it dwindles on its own naturally but I would recommend some meds to help you through it, I'm on citalopram.

It is horrible made even worse by the fact that my marriage is not very good at all right now , she's on citalopram as well -  don't know if this causes her terrible mood swings though? i'd be worried about starting on pills again to be honest 

Yeah, they’ve switched her meds about four times just trying to find something that works for her without shitty side effects. She’s back at the doctors this week and hopefully we’ll get some news about the CBT. I’ve heard nothing but good things about it. Fingers crossed it goes well for you too.

I actually started with it last year , did a couple of sessions but the therapist was south american and my sessions has to be put on hold for a month or so as she went home for xmas holidays . 

True to form i didn't pick up with them when i was supposed to , and so i have to wait a while to get back in the system 

Horrible when you cannot function, I'm turning jobs down because I'm not right at the moment, only going where I'm comfortable. Had to have a drink just to go to a concert the other night. Good luck mate.

I've done the very same thing so many times in the past - just couldn't face talking to anyone at all

I've done the very same thing so many times in the past - just couldn't face talking to anyone at all

Half the time I can't even be bothered to talk on the phone even, I have a drink at the weekend to loosen me up knowing full well I will feel worse the following day. Not on tablets at the minute although I should be, had Counselling, CBT etc.

Isn’t that excessive worrying called ‘being a parent’ ?

Just kidding, sort of.

What’s your phobia? Just hyper concerned about health and mortality?

I hate any phone call I get from my mum, just in case it’s about my dad. I’ve probably been this way for 10 years. And the irony is that one day it will be something bad. So I’ve spent years worrying about something that’s going to happen anyway.

Or maybe I’ll die first. I’ve got a really bad cold today, nobody’s ever had a cold like this.

Anxiety is a cunt, albeit it’s a highly controllable cunt, designed by yourself to restrict yourself in the misguided belief you can erase all risk from life. You can’t. So anxiety always fails, so stop listening to the stupid cunt.

Panic attacks suck cock. You can break the back of them by laughing at them. Get your cock out, have a wank, fuck off and stop wasting my time.

Isn’t that excessive worrying called ‘being a parent’ ?

Just kidding, sort of.

What’s your phobia? Just hyper concerned about health and mortality?

I hate any phone call I get from my mum, just in case it’s about my dad. I’ve probably been this way for 10 years. And the irony is that one day it will be something bad. So I’ve spent years worrying about something that’s going to happen anyway.

Or maybe I’ll die first. I’ve got a really bad cold today, nobody’s ever had a cold like this.

Anxiety is a cunt, albeit it’s a highly controllable cunt, designed by yourself to restrict yourself in the misguided belief you can erase all risk from life. You can’t. So anxiety always fails, so stop listening to the stupid cunt.

Panic attacks suck cock. You can break the back of them by laughing at them. Get your cock out, have a wank, fuck off and stop wasting my time.

I would imagine i am hyper sensitive to anything related to the health and the potential loss of my children - mainly my own daughter from my marriage . I very rarely worry about my own health , if at all - I dont give a fuck about money , cars house possessions any of that stuff . 

Fair point about being a parent and therefore eternally worrying about them , thats only natural - but to be totally absorbed and obsessed by the thought of losing them can't be normal . Hence the visit to the gp and referral .

• Upvote 1

Half the time I can't even be bothered to talk on the phone even, I have a drink at the weekend to loosen me up knowing full well I will feel worse the following day. Not on tablets at the minute although I should be, had Counselling, CBT etc.

Did it help ?