You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

A Few Thoughts from the Match: Leicester City 2 Liverpool 3

tlw content

Didn't see the game, but it's weird to see some posters state that Mignolet had a fine game, and others state that he had a shocker. This means either (a) a whole bunch of people on here are incredibly biased when it comes to player performances, or ( b ) a lot of people simply have no idea how to judge player performances.

Its mad that's there is 2 camps in the first place when it comes to our keeper. He's never been anything above average even at his best.

On yesterday's performance he made 2 mistakes that are not up the discussion, his dithering to give Okazaki an open goal and his choice of protecting his face above his club for the penalty.

His involvement in both goals could be debated alright, personally I want my keeper doing better on both.

Time to give Karius the shirt and let him prove once and for that he is also shit. I don't think he is and I think Klopp feels the same, the only way he would persevere with Mingolet for another season is because he thinks Karius is worth waiting for.

• Upvote 1

Leicester are a bunch of absolute cunts, culminating in downing tools on the manager that gave them their greatest achievement in football. The epitome of the shitness of modern football.

The fact that they did all the cheating, got pretty much every decision from the officials, and they still feel hard done by, makes the victory deliciously sweet.

a0G0k_s-200x150.gif

Didn't see the game, but it's weird to see some posters state that Mignolet had a fine game, and others state that he had a shocker. This means either (a) a whole bunch of people on here are incredibly biased when it comes to player performances, or ( b  ) a lot of people simply have no idea how to judge player performances. 

30 seconds encapsulated him. Great reaction save followed by shitting his pants at the following corner and allowing them to score. 

He was no better or worse than he usually is. Like most of the players behind the forwards, he isn't good enough.

30 seconds encapsulated him. Great reaction save followed by shitting his pants at the following corner and allowing them to score. 

He was no better or worse than he usually is. Like most of the players behind the forwards, he isn't good enough.

I thought he was fouled at the corner mate. I think one of the Leicester players had a tug on his arm as he went for it.  Then again no one made a big deal about protesting to the ref about it so maybe I'm wrong

I thought he was fouled at the corner mate. I think one of the Leicester players had a tug on his arm as he went for it.  Then again no one made a big deal about protesting to the ref about it so maybe I'm wrong

I also think he might have been fouled, but this sort of stuff happens too much with him. Keepers are protected by refs, so act accordingly. He just seems so utterly lacking in the presence required of a top keeper. 

Have to agree on this. I hope I'm wrong but I just don't see anything in Gomez that says he will be successful at the top level. Flanagan-esque to me.

He is nowhere near the level Flanagan was in 2014.

He is hesitant, easily bullied, naive, his decision making is poor and of course he isn't being helped by being shunted between right back and centre half game to game.

Said similar on match thread - with two minutes left in the first half at 2-0 up Lovren is charging into their third. Pretty much the textbook time of the game where you do not want to get caught out.

At this point we have to accept that it is down to Klopp.

If he was not encouraging that mindset they would have knocked this off by now.

Have to agree on this. I hope I'm wrong but I just don't see anything in Gomez that says he will be successful at the top level. Flanagan-esque to me.

Kids need to have the kind of games Gomez and TAA have been having. so they can work out what they need to do to make the step-up (if they can).  I'm just glad that at long last someone is prepared to give the kids a real chance and has the balls to take responsibility for the mistakes that will inevitably follow.  Up until now there's been a lot of talk the talk but then a walk and shit the pants when the first mistake happens.

I don't think there's any player world class or otherwise who hasn't had the kind of run of games TAA & Gomez have had when they were kids.  That they were going to hit this obstacle was a given; let's hope at least 1 of them can make the step-up.

Gomez has potential but I'd rather see him get games at CB than right back.

When he's fully adapted to the speed/strength/mental requirements that's what'll happen I imagine.  In the mean time having the safety net (ha!) of an experienced CB behind him is a good damage limitation step, if  you ask me.

Gomez has done well. Instead of picking up on the odd mistake and shortcomings in a young defender, why not focus upon his positives?

If the weaknesses don't dissapear in 3 years fine.

We get it. The defence is shit. You don't need to dissect every goal, every chance to prove how right you are.

Leicester created very little outside what the ref gave them. Because we defended quite well.

Didn't see the game, but it's weird to see some posters state that Mignolet had a fine game, and others state that he had a shocker. This means either (a) a whole bunch of people on here are incredibly biased when it comes to player performances, or ( b ) a lot of people simply have no idea how to judge player performances.

Nah was just a day when both his best and worst qualities were on display.

I also think he might have been fouled, but this sort of stuff happens too much with him. Keepers are protected by refs, so act accordingly. He just seems so utterly lacking in the presence required of a top keeper. 

Might? Jesus!

Okazaki had hold of his left arm for a few seconds, preventing him from getting a proper run at the corner and also stopping him from getting his balance right to jump.

I've seen people saying 'he's a big lad he should be stronger'. He's not Hulk Hogan, he's a normal sized keeper, and Okazaki is a strong lad himself with forearms like Popeye. He had a firm grip of Mignolet's arm and there isn't a keeper in the league that just shrugs that off and then deals with the cross.

If he'd made more of an effort to free himself he wouldn't have been able to get to the ball anyway. That goal was 100% on the officials.

Slate him for the penalty incident, or for taking too long on his clearances or whatever as that's all fair game, but blaming him for being blatantly fouled on that first goal is just baffling to me.

• Upvote 6

100% on the officials?

Do you think they score if we have Neuer in goal? Really? Oblak? De Gea? Courtois? 

He is a soft, nervy, timid keeper that doesn't even command the six yard box, let alone the 18 yard box. If he's too short, or too weak, then they are further reasons to fuck him off.

It just happens too much.

Obviously, he isn't helped by having a steaming heap of shite infront of him, but then they could argue the same about him. 

Him, Lovren and Moreno weren't good enough three years and yet they're still fixtures in the team. We aren't winning anything with these clowns.

I love it how people chuck Courtois in there with Neuer and de gea, probably 2 of the top 3 keepers in the world with buffon. Obviously some folk didnt see a few of courtois' gaffs last season. Wasnt it against spurs last season when he (courtois) just walked out the way of a near post header and conceeded the goal?

I think Gomez has done quite well so far this season - for a young CB playing out of position. Lots of CBs get done for pace when played at full back.

Agree entirely and I think playing out of position benefits a young player. We have to accept that the likes of him and TTA are going to make mistakes.

We're still a great side for the neutral's to watch.

Really poor officiating yesterday which seems to be a theme against Leicester.

I love it how people chuck Courtois in there with Neuer and de gea, probably 2 of the top 3 keepers in the world with buffon. Obviously some folk didnt see a few of courtois' gaffs last season. Wasnt it against spurs last season when he (courtois) just walked out the way of a near post header and conceeded the goal?

You had this explained to you last night yet you're still ignoring it. You're going back 12 months to find a (rare) mistake from a rival keeper whereas you only have to go back 12 hours to find one from ours.

The point you're missing, is that a club of our level should not be having a mentally and physically week keeper still making the same mistakes game after game for the 4th season now.

He's never going to get better and neither are we until we address this area properly instead of buying on the cheap.

All keepers make the odd mistake. Ours make them every game

• Upvote 1

He deserves comparison with De Gea and Neuer far more than he does with any of our gimps.

Exactly. if courtois became available the worlds top clubs would be lining up to take him. Mignolet would be as wanted as Phil Neville's shirt was in the Madrid dressing room.