You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mark Wright

Crazy Dave

Performed significantly better under Roy Evans than he ever did under Souness. Turned into an excellent defender alongside John Scales later on in his Liverpool career. I've also got to say that Scales is criminally underrated by a fair amount of supporters but probably more for his Wimbledon connections than anything else. Very versatile player and one who would have done much better in a better quality Liverpool squad. His injuries didn't help of course but he was a good signing in my view,overall.

Your memory is probably better than mine here. But I do remember very clearly that Evang' team had similarities to the current. Excellent in attack, but weaker in defence and lacking the ability and determination to be consistent.

Also the way I remember it a lack of commanding centre backs, in the air especially, was a major issue throughout the nineties, until the revelation that was Hyypia arrived.

Your memory is probably better than mine here. But I do remember very clearly that Evang' team had similarities to the current. Excellent in attack, but weaker in defence and lacking the ability and determination to be consistent.

Also the way I remember it a lack of commanding centre backs, in the air especially, was a major issue throughout the nineties, until the revelation that was Hyypia arrived.

Bloody hell Sami Hyypia. If you offered him in his prime to go in our current team or Gerrard in his prime, I think I'd go for Sami!

From my memory I believe he was shite, then he got plonked back in the team (injury crisis?) for Man Utd H which we won 2-0 (Jamie Redknapp scored) I remember because I went to this game as a kid with my dad and remember people in a smoky pub saying "Mark fucking wright yer jokin?" but I think he had a great game and was decent after that for a few years

Another one of those players that sum up the 90's for us. Not the worst player in the world but not good enough for Liverpool Football Club. And a bit of a prick. 

See also:

James

Walters

Saunders

Piechnik

Bab

Scales

Ruddock

Ince

Tanner

Leohnardsen

Dicks

Stewart

Clough

Thomas

Kvarme

Song

Dundee

Rosenthal

Venison 

Mama Mia! What a manifest of mundane mediocrity.

One for the oldies this:

Was Mark Wright any good for Liverpool?

I remember him doing alright under Evans in the mid-nineties, but I've been watching (fuck knows why) some of the vids of Liverpool in the early 90's and Wright looked horrendous. The Souness years were obviously a really bleak time for the club, but I couldn't believe how abject a player Wright looked under him. At the scene of the crime during countless drubbings by the likes of Coventry, Blackburn and Bolton.

He was near enough the clubs record signing when he signed in 1991. Just odd how poor he looked given his obvious pedigree as an international back when England had a pretty decent squad of players.

He was our best defender until Hyypia joined.