You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Transgender stuff - what's going on?

Gym Beglin

13 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I think it's a tricky situation that society hasn't quite got to grips with yet. I don't know the story, but if you've got a dick then surely you shouldn't be in a women's prison. Just saying 'yeah, but they're women' isn't good enough.  

How about "there are clear safeguarding issues with a policy of placing trans women in men's prisons as well"?

But then there are safeguarding issues all around, it's up to the prison to come up with a system that protects inmates rather than using the threat of sexual assault as part of the punishment.

• Upvote 1

I'm all for tolerance and people can do what they like but it goes two ways. They must tolerate me thinking they are fucking weird.

What ever happened to just getting on with it. If you have a cock that is the cards you are dealt. Get on with it.

Become a hairdresser or fashion designer. Being a brickie or a lorry driver was not a good choice.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I can accept non-binary choices quite happily, but it comes with the agreement that there is male and femal as per the ability to reproduce, and then other categories outside of this. As such; those first 2 categories are offered as much protection and right to exist as all other categories, and if you choose to identify as another category, that is fine but your choice does not allow you to intrude upon the rights of the other categories.

In short, support transgenderism, but believe natal women are allowed the right to exclude others from certain environments and those others will include transgender folk. Equally, transgender folks can exclude natal women and men from their chosen spaces.

its pretty fucking easy, non binary - sure, just allow the difference, and don’t claim to be seen as exactly the same.

• Upvote 3

People just get on with it every day, get on with fitting in, get in with putting up with people who think their thoughts should have any relevance to other people's personal choices or how they can earn a living (I mean, for fuck's sake...). 

• There are issues with safeguarding children from making drastic life-changing decisions before they have any real-life experience.
  • There are issues with safeguarding society's vulnerable from those who want take advantage of people's trust to abuse others. 
  • There are issues with people who push their subcultural identity to clear extremes while simultaneously demanding unquestioning acceptance from mainstream culture. 

These are not exclusively transgender issues. 

Neither is struggling for respect and not being treated with common decency while trying to "just get on with it" every day while living a life they are content with.  Still it seems an alien concept to those who'd prefer to deal in caricature than reality.

And no, I'm not transgender - or gay, queer, non-binary or any of that - but I do think people like Linehan have fallen into the trap of reducing the conversation to a few select issues which drives fear and distrust over the simple fact that these are people's lives and most people want to just get on with it.  Most of them harmless, a few of them not.  Like everyone else.  If there's a correlation between these choices and historical psychological trauma, it deserves empathic study and proper consideration, not off-hand dismissal and further marginalisation.

Not like it's all one-sided though, there's mob-handedness all over social media.  It smothers good faith, polarises debate and kills benefit of the doubt.

• Upvote 12

3 hours ago, Pidge said:

How about "there are clear safeguarding issues with a policy of placing trans women in men's prisons as well"?

But then there are safeguarding issues all around, it's up to the prison to come up with a system that protects inmates rather than using the threat of sexual assault as part of the punishment.

I don't disagree that there's a safeguarding issue with placing trans women in a men's prison. Like I say, it's not something that is fully being dealt with across a range of things in society. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Pidge said:

People just get on with it every day, get on with fitting in, get in with putting up with people who think their thoughts should have any relevance to other people's personal choices or how they can earn a living (I mean, for fuck's sake...). 

• There are issues with safeguarding children from making drastic life-changing decisions before they have any real-life experience.
  • There are issues with safeguarding society's vulnerable from those who want take advantage of people's trust to abuse others. 
  • There are issues with people who push their subcultural identity to clear extremes while simultaneously demanding unquestioning acceptance from mainstream culture. 

These are not exclusively transgender issues. 

Neither is struggling for respect and not being treated with common decency while trying to "just get on with it" every day while living a life they are content with.  Still it seems an alien concept to those who'd prefer to deal in caricature than reality.

And no, I'm not transgender - or gay, queer, non-binary or any of that - but I do think people like Linehan have fallen into the trap of reducing the conversation to a few select issues which drives fear and distrust over the simple fact that these are people's lives and most people want to just get on with it.  Most of them harmless, a few of them not.  Like everyone else.  If there's a correlation between these choices and historical psychological trauma, it deserves empathic study and proper consideration, not off-hand dismissal and further marginalisation.

Not like it's all one-sided though, there's mob-handedness all over social media.  It smothers good faith, polarises debate and kills benefit of the doubt.

I think linehan is supporting a valid fight, against people who are pushing because they feel it’s a fight they can win. Doesn’t necessarily make it the right fight however, and I have full open support for anyone in a position where they are affected by identity issues, not at the sake of any other section of society.

there are people who are pushing for equal access to female only facilities, who not only have a set of bollocks (and this is the important part, not the belles), but have no intention of transitioning, they should be allowed their own privacy and their own spaces, but not at the expense of those with female genitalia.

and the same for people in the opposite transport, strangely there is a lot less noise in that area.

• Upvote 3

From what I’ve seen of Linehan on twitter, he had a very narrow argument that he was applying across a broad community, was bullying and abusing trans activists and setting his followers on to individual people. Again, this is just from what I’ve seen; he’s acted like a bit of a fucking scumbag. So, fuck him