You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Top 5 favourite 1980s First Division (non-LFC) players

Tony Moanero

Genuine question to the arl arses, who was the better player out of Gascoigne and Barnes?

Gascoigne is remembered far more fondly seemingly because of his England exploits and is routinely named the most talented British player of his generation.

From my watching endless reams of footage of Barnes, he seemed to have absolutely no flaw in his game. Left, right, heading, dribbling, free kicks, playmaking, pace, strength - he could do it all

Opinions?

Genuine question to the arl arses, who was the better player out of Gascoigne and Barnes?

Gascoigne is remembered far more fondly seemingly because of his England exploits and is routinely named the most talented British player of his generation.

From my watching endless reams of footage of Barnes, he seemed to have absolutely no flaw in his game. Left, right, heading, dribbling, free kicks, playmaking, pace, strength - he could do it all

Opinions?

I only started watching football towards the tail end of Gazza's career.. but he was a centre mid wasn't he? John Barnes was predominantly a winger from videos I've seen.

Opinions?

The idea that Gascoigne is in any comparable to Barnes is preposterous.

Gascoigne is part of this tortured unfulfilled genius fetish that people love.

Barnes was the best player in the world for 4 years, and quite a few people think he's the best Red ever.

• Upvote 3

Opinions?

Barnes by a mile. Aside from the aspects you listed, Barnes also had tactical discipline whether he played as a forward, a winger or as a central midfielder. Gascoigne certainly had his moments of brilliance but tactical discipline was not one of his strong suits.

• Upvote 1