You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Great teams containing 3+ African players?

Elite

We are building up our African contingent with Mane, Salah, Matip and decreasingly likely Keita.

This got me thinking about top teams that have had a healthy collection (first choice) of African footballers.

I can only really think of teams with two Africans in their starting eleven such as Chelsea (Essien, Drogba), Barca (Yaya Toure, Eto'o).

• Upvote 2

Anichebe, Pienaar, Etoo, Kone, Yakubu, Gueye.

Not sure if they were all in the squad at the same time, some overlapping but they must have had at least 4 in a season.

Edit - missed the great in the title.

Just listed as a team that had 3+ African players.

Milan won Serie A in 99 with Ba (Senegal born, played for France), Weah and... erm... Mohammed Datti.

Bit of a stretch here but 2001 Real Madrid side had Geremi (Cameroon), Makelele (born in Zaire) and Zidane (Algerian parents).

edit: looking that up I reminded myself that Gravesen once played for Real Madrid!  Fucking hilarious, repped the OP.

Half of the Benfica side in the early 60s were from Mozambique, like Eusebio.

And yes, Barcelona had Seydou Keita, Yaya Toure and Samuel Eto'o in their side in 2009. Not sure the first two were regular starters though.

• Upvote 1