You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2018 Transfer Thread

Anubis

Winks. Oh Vey. The pass was good. Not mind blowing, and certainly not ‘as good as anything Alonso produced’. If we wanted him, which we’ve heard no sign of, Spurs would rape us on the fee, as they always do. We’d be better off buying the significantly better Weigl. Poor shout on Winks.

Yeah I like Weigl... good player... bigger risk but probably more affordable.

For us, I think we need a midfielder with a defensive instinct - something none of the current players have. Not necessarily a defensive midfielder - someone who can anticipate danger, as opposed to Henderson who just can't recognise anything.

As a type that we normally go for - I would look to Marcos Llorente, Locatelli, or Kramer - but, I would be happy with Nzonzi if I am honest.

Yeah I like Weigl... good player... bigger risk but probably more affordable.

A bigger risk in what way? One is proven and the other has not. One is 9 starts into his career, the other has over 150 top level games. One is on the verge of world class, the other has some potential. Surely, having seen so many failures from the Premier League, you’re not saying it’s less of a risk solely down to having started 9 more Premier League games?

• Upvote 1

A bigger risk in what way? One is proven and the other has not. One is 9 starts into his career, the other has over 150 top level games. Surely, having seen so many failures from the Premier League, you’re not saying it’s less of a risk solely down to having started 9 more Premier League games?

Winks is PL proven, so less risk of failing to adjust to the environment, physicality and intensity of the league, etc IMO.

Winks is PL proven, so less risk of failing to adjust to the environment, physicality and intensity of the league, etc IMO.

Right, so regardless of many great failures from the premier league... you know what... fair enough. I completely disagree based on everything that has ever happened, logic, and the player being ‘proven’ In only 9 starts.

I see the Coutinho off in January is picking up and even 'friendly' reporters making comments.

Anyone else reckon the deals already done?

Bascombe

Owners FSG, regularly accused of cashing in on players (for the record, not a single player sale during their tenure has failed to swell the manager’s transfer kitty),

Might aswell have been written by the club that last bit. Even if our 20ml a year (past two years) net spend tells another story

I see the Coutinho off in January is picking up and even 'friendly' reporters making comments.

Bascombe

Owners FSG, regularly accused of cashing in on players (for the record, not a single player sale during their tenure has failed to swell the manager’s transfer kitty),

Might aswell have been written by the club that last bit. Even if our 20ml a year (past two years) net spend tells another story

Be massively bad press if they let Coutinho go after qualifying last night and with us heading in the right direction in the table. Summer I reckon

Right, so regardless of many great failures from the premier league... you know what... fair enough. I completely disagree based on everything that has ever happened, logic, and the player being ‘proven’ In only 9 starts.

I like Weigl.. I think he’s a very good player. I was one of the first posters who mentioned him as one to watch around here, kept an eye on him when he started getting a run for Dortmund.. admittedly based on another poster’s recommendation who watched him in the U21s. I think Winks is as talented, but less of a risk because he’s tested in the premier league. We’ve had many PL flops mainly because they were shit players not because they couldn’t adjust to the league. I don’t think Winks is a shit player.

I don’t really see how Winks is a possibility. Spurs have finished above us more often than not in recent years. He is a key part of their future. I’m not saying we’re no hopers, but Spurs sell their players to other Prem teams when they are not very good and they go to a mid level team, or when they sell a good player it’s for a large sum of money to an oil club, like Kyle Walker to Man City, and even then they did it because they had Trippier ready to step in.

Talk of signing Winks is wide of the mark for me. Good player, yes, and could go on to be very good, but I don’t understand why we’re talking about him.

I like Weigl.. I think he’s a very good player. I was one of the first posters who mentioned him as one to watch around here, kept an eye on him when he started getting a run for Dortmund.. admittedly based on another poster’s recommendation who watched him in the U21s. I think Winks is as talented, but less of a risk because he’s tested in the premier league. We’ve had many PL flops mainly because they were shit players not because they couldn’t adjust to the league. I don’t think Winks is a shit player.

Then it's because you think he's good, not because of his 9 Premier League starts. I mean, I disagree that he's as talented but I've got no issue with that disagreement. I just have an issue with the line of thinking that those 9 starts make him less of a risk. It's the sort of thinking that gets the club into trouble, actually. Weigl, for me, is way less of a risk. Not only isn't Winks proven in the Premier League, he isn't proven anywhere. It's impossible to prove anything just yet.

Anyway, I think that's probably as far down this rabbit hole as I want to venture. We won't be getting him or Maguire, so there's little point me arguing about it. A more interesting discussion would be about what keepers are out there who can be top class but are obtainable for us.

Bascombe

He isn't leaving in January.

I couldn't care less if the 'net' spend is zero.

That said - he isn't going this January.

You should care.  You should be asking where the clubs money is going during a time when none of the back is good enough to be at the club and the midfield needs work too.

Klopp and the front four doesn't change that at all.

You should care.  You should be asking where the clubs money is going during a time when none of the back is good enough to be at the club and the midfield needs work too.

Where do you think the money is going? Genuinely, considering that all accounts to date show the owners not taking a penny out - quite the opposite - where is all the club's money going?

• Upvote 1

Where do you think the money is going? Genuinely, considering that all accounts to date show the owners not taking a penny out - quite the opposite - where is all the club's money going?

All the accounts to date, the accounts that are only valid upto the point where we started spending next to fuck all and even make a profit during most windows.

Going to be real interesting when the next set is out and this out of date info is used to justify one of the richest clubs in the world spending fuck all, relatively speaking.   I don't know where the money is going but it's not going back into the team.