You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Just want to repeat my suggestion that we bid his release clause + 5m with an agreement to loan him back for the year.

Helps LFC - we can plan for the future knowing 100% that he'll be here next summer.

Helps RBL - they get an extra £5m plus a happier player this season (and nothing lost, because he's off next summer anyway)

Helps Keita - he knows that he's moving for sure, gets wage increase, future settled

Helps Keita's agent - they get their fee this summer

Everyone wins.

The only reason he'd come to us is to play for a team that will pay him better wages whilst fulfilling his ambitions of moving to an elite club. Might not fancy pre signing for us when it's likely we won't be in the champions league next season. It's this year or not at all for him.

I seem to recall reading that the Bundesliga is stricter on financial doping and the structure of club finances, hence why they haven't just blitzed the transfer market. Their owner doesn't need the money, but the club itself doesn't have vast resources simply because of his wealth.

They have a rule called something like '50 +1' where the majority stake of the club must be held by members. There can't be one majority owner.

They have a rule called something like '50 +1' where the majority stake of the club must be held by members. There can't be one majority owner.

Except RBL charge something like 1000 euro to be members  as opposed to around 50 at other clubs. So officially they have about 19 voting members.

Red Bull also gave them a transfer budget of about 85m euros.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/rb-leipzig-germany-bundesliga-timo-werner-ralph-hasenhuttl/

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/sep/08/why-rb-leipzig-has-become-the-most-hated-club-in-german-football

Bumping because apparently Rangnick has hinted today they might consider selling him this summer after all.

Havent read the exact quotes yet but just heard from my cousin who lives in Germany.

Leipzig SD Ralf Rangnick on #NabyKeita, "There were two offers from Liverpool and in between times also a telephone call between the clubs.

Rangnick, "But not between me and Jurgen Klopp," #LFC

Rangnick, "For us, it was always clear that we would not give Naby Keita. That is why there was no direct contact.

Rangnick, "Every club that has sporting ambitious would have done the same as we did.

Rangnick, "But we must weigh it up...

Rangnick, ".. If we let Keita go for €70-80m this year, what more would that bring us compared to the sum we would get next year?"

They planned to get him to sign a new contract to remove the release clause, but according to Rangnick about a week ago Keita wasn't willing to do so.

That might be behind the slight change in Rangnicks outlook in today's quotes, a week of persuasion has probably not borne fruit.

They planned to get him to sign a new contract to remove the release clause, but according to Rangnick about a week ago Keita wasn't willing to do so.

That might be behind the slight change in Rangnicks outlook in today's quotes, a week of persuasion has probably not borne fruit.

Yeah it was pretty obvious they'd try and get him to sign a new contract with a bigger release clause (said that a number of posts back). He doesnt seem to be up for signing which isnt that surprising given RBL's stance.

Still not convinced he'll end up with us after next summer, I think our only chance is this summer or maybe as an outside bet, January.

We should offer £100m for Keita, and then if they turn it down, we should offer £100m for a Dortmund player instead, like Pulisic, Weigl, or Aubameyang.

Dortmund can then spend that money and finish well above Leipzig.

Amazing that Hoffenheim came 4th in Germany, they're utter shit.

It's too late to flash the cash now. If we were serious about doing that, we should have done it a month ago instead of lowballing them.

Leipzig confirmed that we bid £66m for Keita several weeks ago. FSG have plenty of flaws, but how is that lowballing?

• Upvote 2

We should offer £100m for Keita, and then if they turn it down, we should offer £100m for a Dortmund player instead, like Pulisic, Weigl, or Aubameyang.

Dortmund can then spend that money and finish well above Leipzig.

Amazing that Hoffenheim came 4th in Germany, they're utter shit.

Weren't they unbeaten at their own ground for 16 months? I wish Liverpool were that shit.

Just want to repeat my suggestion that we bid his release clause + 5m with an agreement to loan him back for the year.

Helps LFC - we can plan for the future knowing 100% that he'll be here next summer.

Helps RBL - they get an extra £5m plus a happier player this season (and nothing lost, because he's off next summer anyway)

Helps Keita - he knows that he's moving for sure, gets wage increase, future settled

Helps Keita's agent - they get their fee this summer

Everyone wins.

Not really

Sounds OK in theory but you're forgetting the main influence here: the player and what HE wants.

If you were him, looking at us, would you be willing to bet the next four or five years of your career on a guess that your new club will definitely be in the Champions League next season? A club who isn't even yet in it this year and has only had a couple of seasons in it over the last 7 or 8 years?

I wouldn't.

• Upvote 1

Not really

Sounds OK in theory but you're forgetting the main influence here: the player and what HE wants.

If you were him, looking at us, would you be willing to bet the next four or five years of your career on a guess that your new club will definitely be in the Champions League next season? A club who isn't even yet in it this year and has only had a couple of seasons in it over the last 7 or 8 years?

I wouldn't.

But we've already convinced the player. He's desperate to come, so much that he was threatening to strike. His agent has told everyone who'll listen that he wants Liverpool and has a contract agreement in principle already done.

The difficulty now is convincing Leipzig to agree, which is what my proposal is aimed at.