You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Super NES Classic Edition

Allan

Officially announced by Nintendo.

Super NES Classic Edition

Step back into the '90s and re-experience a timeless classic with Nintendo Classic Mini: Super Nintendo Entertainment System, launching across Europe on September 29th.

The Nintendo Classic Mini: Super Nintendo Entertainment System contains 21 classic games, can easily be plugged into any high-definition TV using the included HDMI cable.

H2x1_NintendoClassicMiniSNES_image912w.j

For the first time, players who pick up the system can enjoy the intergalactic adventure Star Fox 2, the sequel to the original Star Fox (originally titled Starwing upon release in Europe) game that was created during the Super NES era but never released…anywhere!

The Nintendo Classic Mini: Super Nintendo Entertainment System has the same look and feel of the original system – only smaller – and comes pre-loaded with 21 games

Been trying to pre-order from Game as I've a bunch of credit but their servers are made out of wet biscuits.

I pre-ordered through Amazon to make sure I didn't miss out. The most reliable site around, plus as a Prime member, I'll get it on release and get a £2 discount - It's not a lot, but it's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

I pre-ordered through Amazon to make sure I didn't miss out. The most reliable site around, plus as a Prime member, I'll get it on release and get a £2 discount - It's not a lot, but it's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

I was too slow; by the time I realised the Game site was dead it'd sold out everywhere else.

I managed to nab a NES mini fairly late though, so I'm sure there'll be more.

I was too slow; by the time I realised the Game site was dead it'd sold out everywhere else.

I managed to nab a NES mini fairly late though, so I'm sure there'll be more.

Nintendo have said that there will be more stock for the SNES mini than there was for the NES.

You can also register your email address on the official Nintendo UK site to be notified when Nintendo themselves will be taking pre-orders.

But it's got the never released Star Fox 2!

But no Street Fighter 2.

I'd quite like to have the mini nes, this and a gamecube if they eventually make one but given Nintendo's deliberate under producing of the original (which they've said they won't do this time) and sudden ceasing of production they can go fuck themselves.

I've got a GBA emulator on my phone, some megadrive games on their as well, I'll just add a snes emulator to it.

What was the reason behind the limited production for the mini nes?

They're going for around £125 second hand now. Proof that they could have shipped many more.

Sega done it right. Built in games and a cartridge slot for £50.

Game were selling them for 150 brand new.

It's a ploy Nintendo have used for ages, by intentionally under producing it creates scarcity and gives the impression of exclusivity and demand.

They did it with the Wii as well and there are suspicions they're doing the same with the switch although Nintendo insist that in the case of the switch it's a component issue.

Gameseek have got their pre-order stock alert page up now.

I can't even log in for some reason.

But no Street Fighter 2.

I'd quite like to have the mini nes, this and a gamecube if they eventually make one but given Nintendo's deliberate under producing of the original (which they've said they won't do this time) and sudden ceasing of production they can go fuck themselves.

I've got a GBA emulator on my phone, some megadrive games on their as well, I'll just add a snes emulator to it.

The Nintendo page lists SFII Turbo on it.

They're going for around £125 second hand now. Proof that they could have shipped many more.

Game were selling them for 150 brand new.

It's a ploy Nintendo have used for ages, by intentionally under producing it creates scarcity and gives the impression of exclusivity and demand.

They did it with the Wii as well and there are suspicions they're doing the same with the switch although Nintendo insist that in the case of the switch it's a component issue.

The subscription service on the Switch will include a Classic Game Selection which will allow you to download old NES games. Full details of this part of the monthly sub are still to be announced.

Not sure if it'll be monthly games like PS+ & Xbox Live Games for Gold, or if they've got something else lined up, which wouldn't surprise me at all, as we all know that Nintendo like to do things differently to everyone else.

The subscription service on the Switch will include a Classic Game Selection which will allow you to download old NES games. Full details of this part of the monthly sub are still to be announced.

Not sure if it'll be monthly games like PS+ & Xbox Live Games for Gold, or if they've got something else lined up, which wouldn't surprise me at all, as we all know that Nintendo like to do things differently to everyone else.

Isn't it going to be a glorified rental scheme or am I confusing it with the XBox.

I think these consoles were always designed to be limited runs, to build up some interest in Nintendo's back catalogue and create a nice buzz. If they continued with them in the long term they'd undermine their attempts to re-sell most virtual console titles to Switch owners.

As for mainline home consoles, well they tend to be conservative there because the overall trend - barring the Wii - has been downwards, and the one time they over-produced was with the Wii U, which screwed them and meant they couldn't cut the price.

Isn't it going to be a glorified rental scheme or am I confusing it with the XBox.

Been reading a few conflicting stories, but the truth is that no one really knows as yet. Nintendo as ever keeping their cards very close to their chest.

It could be a PS Now style game rental service, or it may be the PS+/Games for Gold monthly download.

The official Nintendo site provides the below info on the Classic Game Selection:

Classic Game Selection*

Subscribers will get to download a compilation of classic titles with added online play, such as Super Mario Bros. 3, Balloon Fight and Dr. Mario.

Seems quite vague to me. If it's a rental, then why are they not using Cloud based tech to allow players to play as they do on PS Now? With them saying that you will get to download games, suggests to me that they may go down the PS+/GfG route.

Having bought one of those...they didn't. They really, really didn't.

You know when you see some small kid at an arcade machine, battering away like fuck, blissfully unaware that there is no money in and they're not controlling a thing?

That's what it feels like. While on acid.