You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain

Paco

4 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I don't even know what you are talking about.I am talking about the defence of Chamberlain it's because he doesn't get a chance. He does. And none better than the start of the season. But it didn't make him a better footballer, just like it didn't make milner 60 years younger. 

I agree with that - he has had plenty of chances - but he was never going to be a regular starter in our midfield this season - injuries are what led to him playing the first game, same as Milner.

I still don't get how people can't understand why we bought him. Can say he was too expensive for having one year left on his deal, that's fine, but on paper, tactically, he was perfect at the time. A midfielder with huge pace, physical qualities and intensity that will break towards goal when we win the ball very quickly. That's the number one reason for buying certain players, you think they'll fit the style of football seamlessly. The problem is just that football isn't played on paper. He's in the category of Keita; it should have worked and it hasn't, but there's no point in saying we shouldn't have done it. The thinking was there. It's not like buying Benteke or whatever, where he's just the complete opposite of what we need tactically. 

• Upvote 5

I think we’d have a very different squad now if it wasn’t for Covid. We clearly only kept some players because of a deflated market. Hasn’t really done us any harm though. If it meant we dodged Werner and went with our second choice in Jota, we absolutely lucked out with it. 

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

I agree with that - he has had plenty of chances - but he was never going to be a regular starter in our midfield this season - injuries are what led to him playing the first game, same as Milner.

I agree he was never going to be a starter. But to many (apparently including the lad himself), he just lacks opportunity. 

There’s clearly a talented player in there as he has demonstrated throughout his career. However, he’s been incredibly unlucky with injuries and circumstances.

Hes contributed 3 really important goals this season but just cannot get a run in the side. I understand his frustration, I actually thought he was played quite well against forest. 

The only viable way I see him staying here is if he emulates Milner and becomes a utility man for us. 

2 hours ago, LFC 6 Times said:

There’s clearly a talented player in there as he has demonstrated throughout his career. However, he’s been incredibly unlucky with injuries and circumstances.

Hes contributed 3 really important goals this season but just cannot get a run in the side. I understand his frustration, I actually thought he was played quite well against forest. 

The only viable way I see him staying here is if he emulates Milner and becomes a utility man for us. 

You need to be competent in different positions to be a utility man....Oxlade is at nearly 30 a man who has not yet really established one position he is good at.

One of the best 8th choice midfielders of all time but for £6m a year he is a bit expensive. I like him and sometimes it feels more like sadness and frustration when he doesn't play or gets hooked but a move would probably be good for all parties 

Still think he was consistently good in the three or four months up to the big injury - he'd played his way into Klopp's first choice team and would definitely have started against Madrid.

But since then he's been largely woeful, and best for all parties for him to leave. 

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, Red74 said:

Just reading that he’s been left out of the last 4 squads. Forgot about that rant he had at klopp when he got hooked the other week. 

Fuck him. 

It's like Rolf Harris moaning at the manager of The Lourve because they won't hang his paintings.

On 24/03/2022 at 20:18, an tha said:

You need to be competent in different positions to be a utility man....Oxlade is at nearly 30 a man who has not yet really established one position he is good at.

To be fair, he's 28. We wouldn't describe Mo as 'nearly 32'. But I agree, he's lost here. It's a pity, when he had that game against City he looked as though he was going to become a fantastic player for us, but those injuries wrecked any further progress. It's a bit strange, or telling, that such a camera-happy character lets his dejection show as much as he's done recently (you'd like to think it's disappointment at how he's played, but that would be even more reason not to sulk on the bench), but he obviously knows what his fate now is.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Harry Squatter said:

We will probably get around £10m for him, if that.

Unless he'll take a drop in wages I expect all we'll get is the possibility of some payment after he plays so many games .