You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Greatest Allround Musician

Lee909

Which is why Tony McCaroll was sound for definately maybe but had to be replaced by a far superior drummer in Alan White

I'm not really sure what the relevance is.

Ringo's parts and playing were always spot on and The Beatles never needed to replace him, he was perfect.

• Upvote 1

I'm not really sure what the relevance is other than for you to get your mandatory Oasis reference in to a music thread.

Ringo's parts and playing were always spot on and The Beatles never needed to replace him, he was perfect.

Soz man I wasn't trying to wedge oasis in, just saying that some sounds are good for what they do. Ringo was perfect for the Beatles but could he have played on Exile on Main St ? No.

• Upvote 1

Soz man I wasn't trying to wedge oasis in, just saying that some sounds are good for what they do. Ringo was perfect for the Beatles but could he have played on Exile on Main St ? No.

I edited my post because it was a bit aggressive, sorry.

Yeah, Ringo would've played fine on Exile, he was a superb drummer in my opinion and would've been fine in the majority of rock bands.

• Upvote 1

I edited my post because it was a bit aggressive, sorry.

Yeah, Ringo would've played fine on Exile, he was a superb drummer in my opinion and would've been fine in the majority of rock bands.

I'm not slagging Ringo. You know more about drumming than me mate so I won't even try and debate with you.

Aggressive cunt x

• Upvote 1

Stewart Copeland was once asked "what's the one thing most drummers lack?" or something to that effect and he then proceeded to play a really simple drumming pattern, perfectly in time, for the entire duration of a song and said "that". By the way both Charlie Watts and Ringo are great drummers and both play to serve the song. 

I don't know much about Tony McCarroll but i know he played on Definitely Maybe, so that speaks for itself. I don't know whether it was Noel's hubris that wanted someone more like Keith Moon so he could pull off long "I Am A Walrus" outros or what? Maybe McCaroll was holding them back, but i tend to think not. Moe Tucker didn't hold the Velvet Underground back. Meg White didn't hold the White Stripes back. Definitely Maybe is still regarded as their best album.

Stewart Copeland was once asked "what's the one thing most drummers lack?" or something to that effect and he then proceeded to play a really simple drumming pattern, perfectly in time, for the entire duration of a song and said "that". By the way both Charlie Watts and Ringo are great drummers and both play to serve the song. 

I don't know much about Tony McCarroll but i know he played on Definitely Maybe, so that speaks for itself. I don't know whether it was Noel's hubris that wanted someone more like Keith Moon so he could pull off long "I Am A Walrus" outros or what? Maybe McCaroll was holding them back, but i tend to think not. Moe Tucker didn't hold the Velvet Underground back. Meg White didn't hold the White Stripes back. Definitely Maybe is still regarded as their best album.

Noel hated Tony, had to pull him off a few songs and do it himself. More b-sides to be fair but McCaroll and his punkiness was sound for that album. 

Reading that back, of all the Stones albums, Exile is probably the one that Ringo could have done. 

Ringo could've played on any Stones record. Listen to 'A Day in the Life' if you doubt Ringo could've done it. It's understated but the tempo changes all the way throughout the track and Ringo is like a metronome throughout. The little fills he adds are class. The Beatles change time signatures mid song far more than The Stones as well. I'd say it's much harder to be the drummer for The Beatles than The Stones. The Stones is more about the groove. 

• Upvote 1

Oasis were a fuckin boss band. The criticism about them copying the Beatles is bollox as everybody is influenced by someebody else, they just chose to be influenced by the best!

Oasis never sounded remotely like The Beatles, even when they played I Am The Walrus.

Why are people talking about Oasis in a 'greatest all round musician' thread?

Ditto Ringo.

The answer though is because the winner was almost instantly decided and the thread just meandered after that.

Oasis were a fuckin boss band. The criticism about them copying the Beatles is bollox as everybody is influenced by someebody else, they just chose to be influenced by the best!

As a passive listener to music in the mid to late 90s when the brit-pop thing was around,I found Oasis to be brilliant at first before descending into just another band that made the odd good song. That first album of theirs was superb but they didn't seem to get close to that again from what I heard. Great cover of Come on feel the noize though.

Is there a glam rock thread or something all the Oasis stuff can go in?

I could see someone starting a 'Most interesting use of exotic time signatures on a concept album' thread on here and it descending into a debate about Bonehead's fucking desert boots.

• Upvote 2