You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Greatest Allround Musician

Lee909

Mozart was ace on the electric guitar. Little known fact!

PS - Prince was ace, so I've not arguments about his ability. Could write songs, lots of them, and obviously play multiple instruments. It will be interesting to see if people are talking about him in 200 years. 

Mozart was ace on the electric guitar. Little known fact!

PS - Prince was ace, so I've not arguments about his ability. Could write songs, lots of them, and obviously play multiple instruments. It will be interesting to see if people are talking about him in 200 years.

Can't wait, I have my neg/rep waiting..

• Upvote 1

Pete Townshend, not only brilliant songwriter but his demos for the Who are amazing, ok he doesn't play Bass like John Entwistle or Drums like Keith Moon but even Glyn Johns the Who's producer on Who's Next used to say "how the fuck do I compete with these".

Also was arguably the first person to use a synthesizer as an actual instrument rather than just a background drone which in 1971 was an incredibly difficult thing to not only do but also master.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yh4wkMZXONc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5voNyRmvXs

• Upvote 1

Brian Wilson and Miles Davis deserve honourable mentions, at the very least.

Coltrane as well, even if he wasn't such a multi-instrumentalist. Ridiculously clever man.

Coltrane could play piano & drums, there are pictures of him playing them if you Google it, unfortunately this forum won't let me post any of them. When you add in his alto & soprano sax playing (arguably the greatest of all time) then I definitely think he belongs in this conversation.

• Upvote 2

No doubt the guy was an outright genius.

Anyway, couple more honourable mentions, since half the species seem a little underepresented.

Nina Simone and Bjork.  Two women whose output is consistently incredible, both with talents well beyond what is immediately apparent.

• Upvote 2

And still better than Ringo...

To be fair Ringo was a great drummer for the Beatles and they way they played .

Incidentally I think his son is much much better .

as is proved here, listen from 3:17 if you don't like Oasis

• Upvote 1

Ringo's son is not better than Ringo in my opinion. He might technically be better, he might play more complex patterns but no-one was better than Ringo for playing in a way that served the song. His playing was simplicity itself and that's a severely underrated skill in music when so many egos are involved and everyone wants to be the centre of attention.  

• Upvote 2

Ringo's son is not better than Ringo in my opinion. He might technically be better, he might play more complex patterns but no-one was better than Ringo for playing in a way that served the song. His playing was simplicity itself and that's a severely underrated skill in music when so many egos are involved and everyone wants to be the centre of attention.

Which is why Tony McCaroll was sound for definately maybe but had to be replaced by a far superior drummer in Alan White