You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Cricket Thread

A_S

Guest Pistonbroke

An intriguing day in this Test Match. We eventually got the 70 odd (71) lead I had hoped for, Stokes batted well until that one over where he was bowled twice by Gabriel, one off a no ball and the second one which kept low. The tail wagged a bit, more down to the Windies bowlers tiring due to only having three pace bowlers to rotate, wonder how much that will bite them in the arse when we bat again: Roach bowled well though, pretty similar to Stoke's efforts on the previous day. 

We also got to witness Jimmy Anderson taking his 500th test wicket and what a way to do it, clean bowling an opening batsman. I'm sure he couldn't have scripted that better himself, far more memorable than getting out a lower order batsman after a referral on a close LBW decision. 

Pity Root spunked our two referrals late on as we are definitely in the driving seat with the Windies effectively 22 for 3. With better weather forecast for the remaining three days you'd think the Windies would have to post a 250 run lead to put us under pressure chasing. 

Anybody been to the MCG for an Ashes test? Wondering what it's like, as we've got tickets for Boxing Day whilst on holiday.

Do it, it's brilliant. I could recommend a few bars around the place too, depending on what you prefer.

Need to find 3 batsmen asap, could do worse than bringing Hales in for Stoneman, anyone who can hold a bat and has a quarter of a brain for Westley and Woakes for Malan and move Bairstow up. Malan has at least batted a few times under real pressure would take him and Stoneman as back up probably. Where are all the batters ???

I think the Aussies will win easily. The batsman always perform better at home, and England have less than half a top order.

Agree.

Cook, Root, Stokes, Bairstow, Ali are all plenty good enough; every one of those players can take a match away from the opposition but I've seen only glimpses of the others to think they could handle the pressure or have the ability to play in an Ashes series down under.

Agree.

Cook, Root, Stokes, Bairstow, Ali are all plenty good enough; every one of those players can take a match away from the opposition but I've seen only glimpses of the others to think they could handle the pressure or have the ability to play in an Ashes series down under.

At least the ball won't nip around and do as much in the air as it does over here. The likes of Stoneman and Westley might surprise us. Probably not like, but I wouldn't totally rule it out.

At least the ball won't nip around and do as much in the air as it does over here. The likes of Stoneman and Westley might surprise us. Probably not like, but I wouldn't totally rule it out.

Yeah hopefully, I'm not ruling it out and I'm hopeful they do raise their games as, let's be honest, they're the best we've got.

• 2 weeks later...