You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sir Roger Moore died at the age of 89 yesterday, and tributes have poured in for the kind and benevolent James Bond star from friends, family and fellow actors.

None sum up his gentleness and good humour quite as perfectly as this anecdote from Mark Haynes however, a scriptwriter from London who had a chance meeting with Moore at an airport when he was seven.

I don't want to spoil its twists so won't discuss what happened, but the absolutely charming story has already attracted 31,000 interactions and 9,000 shares on Facebook along with a ton of widely-shared screen grabs.

"As a seven-year-old in about 1983, in the days before First Class Lounges at airports, I was with my grandad in Nice Airport and saw Roger Moore sitting at the departure gate, reading a paper. I told my granddad I'd just seen James Bond and asked if we could go over so I could get his autograph. My grandad had no idea who James Bond or Roger Moore were, so we walked over and he popped me in front of Roger Moore, with the words "my grandson says you're famous. Can you sign this?"

As charming as you'd expect, Roger asks my name and duly signs the back of my plane ticket, a fulsome note full of best wishes. I'm ecstatic, but as we head back to our seats, I glance down at the signature. It's hard to decipher it but it definitely doesn't say 'James Bond'. My grandad looks at it, half figures out it says 'Roger Moore' - I have absolutely no idea who that is, and my hearts sinks. I tell my grandad he's signed it wrong, that he's put someone else's name - so my grandad heads back to Roger Moore, holding the ticket which he's only just signed.

I remember staying by our seats and my grandad saying "he says you've signed the wrong name. He says your name is James Bond." Roger Moore's face crinkled up with realisation and he beckoned me over. When I was by his knee, he leant over, looked from side to side, raised an eyebrow and in a hushed voice said to me, "I have to sign my name as 'Roger Moore' because otherwise...Blofeld might find out I was here." He asked me not to tell anyone that I'd just seen James Bond, and he thanked me for keeping his secret. I went back to our seats, my nerves absolutely jangling with delight. My grandad asked me if he'd signed 'James Bond.' No, I said. I'd got it wrong. I was working with James Bond now.

Many, many years later, I was working as a scriptwriter on a recording that involved UNICEF, and Roger Moore was doing a piece to camera as an ambassador. He was completely lovely and while the cameramen were setting up, I told him in passing the story of when I met him in Nice Airport. He was happy to hear it, and he had a chuckle and said "Well, I don't remember but I'm glad you got to meet James Bond." So that was lovely.

And then he did something so brilliant. After the filming, he walked past me in the corridor, heading out to his car - but as he got level, he paused, looked both ways, raised an eyebrow and in a hushed voice said, "Of course I remember our meeting in Nice. But I didn't say anything in there, because those cameramen - any one of them could be working for Blofeld."

I was as delighted at 30 as I had been at 7. What a man. What a tremendous man."

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

I went to see him on his UK tour at the Liverpool Empire about 18 months ago.

I expected him to be a bit off a luvvie and a bit poncey about certain things but he was a really level headed fella who was quite self depreciating and knew his limitations. He just saw acting as an extremely well paid job and knew he was very fortunate. He even said he turned down a theatre role in the 60s because he found that the Scouse accent was too hard for him to master. He then did a few other accents. Spoke highly of Liverpool as he was evacuated to Chester in the war but was regularly taken on days out to Liverpool and on the ferry.

Even though he moved abroad to avoid paying tax I wouldn't have blamed him at the time as him and Micheal Caine were paying 83 per cent tax on their earnings.

He's been a very selfless individual with his charity work and the reason why he joined up with unicef was due to his friend Audrey Hepburn asking him to use his stardom and personality before she died.

Top bloke and had an amazing memory for a guy who was 87 telling great jokes and anecdotes. My friend met him in the Titanic hotel where he was staying that night and had a chat with him saying he was one of his heroes and the best James Bond. He said he was being silly because Daniel Craig is the best Bond ever. Then joked that he had free tickets for the premiere of Spectre.

• Upvote 1

I'd be too eager to see who won. 

They wouldn't compete, great men don't need to. They'd just converse purely in agreeable noises and fringe flicks, and women would cum all around them, it'd be like people's heads when the air pressure is turned up too high, but with gash. 

Imagine going out on the lash with Moore and Ken Barlow? May as well just cut your dick off and stand there and applause. 

Sensational scenes.  I'd throw in Will Riker as well. The young gun learning from the masters

• Upvote 1

Connery was my favourite Bond but no one did humour like Moore and for me that's what Bond is missing now, love this bit with the wonderfully named Goodhead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08Zog1a_WSs

Thif is one of the main reasons Bond films have gone downhill since Connery and Moore. They never took themselves seriously and injected humour into a lot of scenes,almost comic book scenes with the villains especially. There is a racehorse named Sir Roger Moore and I wonder if he had a share in it? Good horse too.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...