You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Best Male Singer Ever

Mook

Not for me mate, his range was incredible, just watch live aid, he did that with laryn larin layringy, a fucking sore throat.

Are you pissed? Not saying that because of the comment but you seem it after your last few posts. Something up? 

One's mentioned already - all great, except Oasis.... and I'm an Oasis fan.

Few others for me

Bobby Womack

Foy Vance

J. Tillman

Ray Lamontagne

And I find Thom Yorke easy enough to mimic. I must just be in that range.

ok. 

My recommendation on Sinatra is the Sinatra Sings Cole Porter album.  Fantastic tunes, fantastic lyrics, fantastic arrangements and fantastic interpretations by the short arsed mafia moll.  Play loud and uncompressed, you'll be hooked.

A more contemporary version is Kurt Elling.  Widely acclaimed amongst circles who know far more about it than me to be the best singer of that type on the planet.

Actually Mook, the album you want is not Sinatra Sings Cole Porter - it's 'Frank Sinatra Sings The Select Cole Porter' - that other one looks shite, but this one is the real deal.  Hard to get hold of (it's not on Spotify) but if you want a copy I'll put it on Dropbox

ok. 

You can't honestly put either Gallagher's down as "best male singer ever" - it's horseshit.

Liam had lost his voice by 2007 and prob earlier. He's fuckin shite these days.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2007/feb/19/news.oasis

Noel in fairness has looked after his well and has a decent soft voice. But even he gets 'shouty' at times and can't do a great sustain.

There's no point going all superfan over facts. Both are very average singers. Both distinctive though, I'll give you that.

Actually Mook, the album you want is not Sinatra Sings Cole Porter - it's 'Frank Sinatra Sings The Select Cole Porter' - that other one looks shite, but this one is the real deal.  Hard to get hold of (it's not on Spotify) but if you want a copy I'll put it on Dropbox

Aye, I looked on Amazon when I saw your original post & the 'select' one came up, the CD is a fiver so I'll stick it on my pay day shopping list.

• Upvote 1

You can't honestly put either Gallagher's down as "best male singer ever" - it's horseshit.

Liam had lost his voice by 2007 and prob earlier. He's fuckin shite these days.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2007/feb/19/news.oasis

Noel in fairness has looked after his well and has a decent soft voice. But even he gets 'shouty' at times and can't do a great sustain.

There's no point going all superfan over facts. Both are very average singers. Both distinctive though, I'll give you that.

I didn't say he was the best, not at all. fucking great voice when he was younger though there is no denying that. And yeah, distinctive, nothing like Liam back in the day. Noel too has a distinctive voice. Neither are 'great' although actually I think Liam in songs like Slide Away was great. Bang on about his voice going though, when they won the brit award for icon or some shit he sounded awful.