You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Best Male Singer Ever

Mook

I looked but can only find the female thread for this, 'been listening to a bit of David Ruffin stuff from after he left The Temptations, some voice he had on him (link below to one of his songs)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmqb9RB99ak

The best technically will probably be one of the opera singers but here are some of my favourites to get us started:-

Marvin Gaye

David Ruffin

Otis Redding

Steve Marriot

Curtis Mayfield

Sam Cooke

Stevie Wonder

Paul Rodgers

Robert Plant

Ian Gillan

David Bowie

Smokey Robinson

John Lennon

Carl Wilson

James Brown

Roger Daltrey

Greg Lake

Sly Stewart

Michael Jackson

Ron Isley

Peter Gabriel

Terry Reid

Little Richard

Elvis

Bon Scott

The best technically will probably be one of the opera singers but here are some of my favourites to get us started:-

Yeah, indeed.

Other that I'd say

Bill Kenny from The Ink Spots should be in there

Also Bobby McFerrin

• Upvote 1

Steve Perry

Criminally underrated. For me easily the best male singer of all time. 

And I know this one might bring a few laughs but Liams voice in these 2 songs is unreal. Pure raw angry talent right there. you can feel his every emotion. How people slag Oasis off as much as they do is laughable really. Wankers as fellas? yeah, brilliant music makers? absofuckinglutely. 

Go fuck your thread 

tumblr_m35exiBuYP1qmf0pfo1_500.gif

Ha ha, I'm only messing.

You're entitled to your opinion like anyone else, I haven't listened to much of Steve Perry's singing so can't really comment on him & you're not the first person I've heard saying how great Liam Gallagher is, Slide Away is the one Oasis track I'm quite happy listening to & his singing is pretty good on it, I think he turned into a caricature of himself though with all the "sooooonshiiiiiieeeeeeeennnnnee." stuff.

Ha ha, I'm only messing.

You're entitled to your opinion like anyone else, I haven't listened to much of Steve Perry's singing so can't really comment on him & you're not the first person I've heard saying how great Liam Gallagher is, Slide Away is the one Oasis track I'm quite happy listening to & his singing is pretty good on it, I think he turned into a caricature of himself though with all the "sooooonshiiiiiieeeeeeeennnnnee." stuff.

Ha ha, I'm only messing.

Steve Perry is ace. Have a listen. 

Is there anyone who listens to a lot of Sinatra?

I respect him but can't really get into crooning at all, any album recommendations would be welcome, I've always been intrigued by this one, which was a concept album from 1970.

Watertown%281970album%29.jpg

I love a bit of Frank. The day I joined the navy my dad was skint so couldn't box me off with any money. I travelled down to Plymouth with a travel warrant, 8 quid and a copy of the Rat Pack me dad passed to me as I walked out the kitchen. Him, Dean Martin and Sammy Davies jnr were brilliant. 

• Upvote 1

Is there anyone who listens to a lot of Sinatra?

I respect him but can't really get into crooning at all, any album recommendations would be welcome, I've always been intrigued by this one, which was a concept album from 1970.

Watertown%281970album%29.jpg

My recommendation on Sinatra is the Sinatra Sings Cole Porter album.  Fantastic tunes, fantastic lyrics, fantastic arrangements and fantastic interpretations by the short arsed mafia moll.  Play loud and uncompressed, you'll be hooked.

A more contemporary version is Kurt Elling.  Widely acclaimed amongst circles who know far more about it than me to be the best singer of that type on the planet.

• Upvote 1