You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Be honest, if offered 4th at the start of the season, would you have said yes?

Bjornebye

4th yes or no  

74 members have voted

1. 1. 4th yes or no

• Yeah
    • Nope

Considering our squad in august and the building job Klopp is doing.

Champions league qualification (If we get it!) was the natural next step. 

My heart says no fuck off I wanted the title at the beginning of the season same as every year and I reckon its 'our year'. My head says i'd have ripped your arm out of your socket for guaranteed 4th place this season. 

• Upvote 1

Considering our squad in august and the building job Klopp is doing.

Champions league qualification (If we get it!) was the natural next step.

My heart says no fuck off I wanted the title at the beginning of the season same as every year and I reckon its 'our year'. My head says i'd have ripped your arm out of your socket for guaranteed 4th place this season.

Me too.

Even when we was flying I didn't think we'd win the league but we got our expectations all fucked up from August-January. At the start of the season I thought I'd love 4th and a decent cup run and see where we from from there the season after but after beating Man City on New Year's Eve I thought we have a slight chance at the title and thought we'd finish a minimum of 3rd so the tail off makes it feel like it's been a disappointing season but in the grand scheme of things if we get 4th it's been a successful season and exactly what Klopp would have wanted with this squad. We need CL nights back at Anfield it's what this clubs lives for.

• Upvote 1

I thought we'd finish about 7th so I would've been more than happy with 4th at the start of the season.

Being objective about it, getting 4th place was the realistic target for this squad. We're not there yet though.

If we finish fourth, it's an improvement. I'd have taken it, but I always want to see it played out to see how we do. I hoped for better and wanted to win the title, and we surprised everyone on that front until January, when the lack of depth caught up with us.

Yeah same question asked late December would have been greated with a huge fuck off. That 6 week spell after new year was woeful. 

Given the very stiff competition in this league and our squad in comparison, I would say we would've over achieved if we get fourth.

Winning the league was never a reality and I think even top 4 could've been seen as not attainable but when we beta boro tomorrow, the team will have done very well to get there.

To be honest most people who think we're going to challenge every year or think we deserve to be competing for top players and titles are living off past glories we've ultimately been shit for 8/9 years with only one good season in that time. As much as people don't like it we can't compete with Chelsea, Man City, Man Utd, Arsenal or soon to be Tottenham, if they scrap their wage cap, 4 of them have more money than us and the other finishes above us in the league most seasons now. Financially with our owners we can't compete so we have to be clever and work our way up slowly which means a long term project not chopping and changing managers and ideas every time it goes slightly off course. Progress every year is still progress, so I'd be happy next season finishing 3rd and attracting better players again. I think we'll win the league under Klopp before he leaves and I haven't thought that about any manager since we appointed Rafa.

Given the very stiff competition in this league and our squad in comparison, I would say we would've over achieved if we get fourth.

Winning the league was never a reality and I think even top 4 could've been seen as not attainable but when we beta boro tomorrow, the team will have done very well to get there.

If. Fucking If. Don't jinx it now lads.

Yes, but never expected the other teams to be so shite this year

It's a puzzler that fourth will probably require the highest number of points ever when this season has been poor football all round

It is because the rest of the league is full of absolute shite outside the top 6/7.

If you look at the number of points taken by teams outside the top 6 off the top 6 it is very low....us aside obviously.

Yeah sure you start off hoping to win the league before the season starts, leicester did it after all  but at the same time, there's a sense of realism that you dont often go from 6th or so to be Champions.

So yeah, Id have plumped for 4th as being progress. And I still say it'll take Klopp at least another summer window to get the team and squad he wants.

If we get fourth tomorrow, then next year we will want better as it's only natural, but I can understand the sentiment above about taking fourth again next season. Qualifying for the CL is a big improvement for us based on where we've been of late, but staying there will be crucial for our future prospects.

Top 4 for me was always the target, even if it does only pan out to be 4th.

The football landscape has changed with success being measured not just in trophy's, but qualifying positions in the modern era of football and to be even more modern and precious, the targets change season by season - Last season was win a cup, this season was a CL qualifying place, next season both a CL qualifying place and a cup, the season after, well, do we dare even say it or dream it. 

Would have been very happy with 4th at the outset ( Think I voted 5th or 6th on the other poll).

This football supporting lark is a bit strange isn't it ?, if we could swap the 2 halves of the season around we would be thrilled at the moment & foaming at the mouth at the thought of terrorising Europe.

• Upvote 1