You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

West Ham 0 Liverpool 4 (May 14 2017)

tlw content

westhamreport2.jpg

One down one to go then. This was supposed to be the more difficult of the two but I always felt more confident about us winning this than I do about next week. I didn’t think it would be as comfortable as it turned out, but we’ve been picking up wins regularly on our travels so this game worried me far less than the idea of facing an ultra defensive, pressure free Boro at home next week. 

Still, more of what we saw in this game and we should be fine. It was the most fluid we’ve looked in weeks and Firmino being ruled out actually worked to our advantage I think, simply because it forced Klopp into shaking things up. Had the Brazilian been fit we’d probably have seen more of the same, but a change was desperately needed as we’ve looked stale and predictable ever since Mané went down.  

I like the diamond formation, always have, and I think it suits both Origi and Sturridge, especially when they play together. Neither one of them is particularly adept at playing in the middle of the three, but by going with this set up Klopp allowed both of them to play to their strengths.

I always think back to that demolition job on Southampton last season and wonder why we haven’t seen this system more often. Then I remember that fucking Sturridge is hardly ever available, and that's why. Still, even without Sturridge it would still have been worth a look I reckon. I wouldn’t change anything next week, regardless of whether Firmino is available or not.  

I’m not kidding myself, I’m fully aware that West Ham were decimated by injury and didn’t look particularly arsed, but half the teams we’ve played recently have had nothing to play for but it didn’t stop us making painfully hard work of it. This was the easiest game we’ve had since the derby and I’d say a lot of it was due to the formation, and also that we were able to get Sturridge on the pitch at long last.  

Let’s make no bones about it, he’s still fucking brilliant on the odd occasions he’s willing/able to get out there. His last start in the league was against Sunderland the day after New Year and he was class that day too. His clever movement pulled West Ham’s defenders all over the place and he took his goal with the kind of composure and class that nobody else in the squad possesses.   

Did anyone think even for a split second he was going to miss that? Honestly, as soon as I saw he was through I knew it was a goal. If I had to put money on any one player in the league in that situation, it would be between him and Hazard.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full report

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. If you are not currently registered on the site, sign up for free and receive a FREE no obligation trial subscription, which gives you access to all the members only content for THREE MONTHS.

and on the other side Byrom shot just wide when when he probably should have done better.

Sorry Dave but who is this Byrom you speak about?

Samuel Mark "Sam" Byram is an English professional footballer who plays for Premier League club West Ham United.

Did I doubt Studge was gonna score? My fear was that he was gonna get tackled before he got that far. A little earlier he seemed clean through but two defenders got back to defend.

A class player but too slow now to be anywhere near good enough for us these days. Shame.

Guest Pistonbroke

I'm not sure why anyone would think Boro will set up defensively. They are already relegated and a hard earned point will make no difference whatsoever. If anything they might try to go out and play a bit. 

I'm not sure why anyone would think Boro will set up defensively. They are already relegated and a hard earned point will make no difference whatsoever. If anything they might try to go out and play a bit. 

There wasn't really any reason for Southampton to be so negative at Anfield last week either as they also didn't really have anything much left to play for. This Middlesbrough side is one of the most negative teams I can remember being in the premier league too. I'm not sure they even know how to play any other way. Hopefully they do have a go as it would certainly be better for us but if they did but it would be a pleasant surprise if they did.

Guest Pistonbroke

There wasn't really any reason for Southampton to be so negative at Anfield last week either as they also didn't really have anything much left to play for. This Middlesbrough side is one of the most negative teams I can remember being in the premier league too. I'm not sure they even know how to play any other way. Hopefully they do have a go as it would certainly be better for us but if they did but it would be a pleasant surprise if they did.

Boro had a go against City and to some extent against Southampton. They have to worst goals for in the league, they do however have the best goals against of all the bottom half teams. I just have a feeling they'll not be giving too much of a fuck about this match. 

Guest Pistonbroke

They only know one way to play. They'll defend and play for set-pieces and counter attacks (if they play Traore). No way are they going to come here and open up, although I hope they do as we'll put five or six past them.

Since Agnew took over from Karanka in mid March they have started to leak more goals due to a slightly different approach. They will probably still defend as you say, but not as deep as they did under Karanka. They have that Chambers lad on loan from Arsenal, so he'll probably put the effort in, not so sure about the rest of them giving a damn. Obviously we still have to create the chances and convert a few, hopefully we score early doors and then pile the pressure on as they stroll around half arsed. 

Everyone thinks we're home and hosed which is how we usually approach these games at home.

Professional attitude and performance required.

Where did you get this impression? From what I've read most have a healthy scepticism

Where did you get this impression? From what I've read most have a healthy scepticism

Our record against teams we should beat. The atmosphere against teams we should beat and our performances against teams we should beat.

If we go into this with our normal complacency don't be surprised if we fuck it up.

This team is synonymous with fucking up at the final hurdle or in the home stretch.

Our record against teams we should beat. The atmosphere against teams we should beat and our performances against teams we should beat.

If we go into this with our normal complacency don't be surprised if we fuck it up.

This team is synonymous with fucking up at the final hurdle or in the home stretch.

Surely our record and performances against shite, plus the significance of the game means the last thing we'll be is complacent. Our mental fragility, tactics and vulnerability to shitting ourselves and forgetting how to play against average players all seem much more plausible.

I will hardly be gobsmacked if we fuck it up but I will be if it's due to complacency.

Couldn't tell you what the atmosphere is like as I haven't been to a game in years

Surely our record and performances against shite, plus the significance of the game means the last thing we'll be is complacent. Our mental fragility, tactics and vulnerability to shitting ourselves and forgetting how to play against average players all seem much more plausible.

I will hardly be gobsmacked if we fuck it up but I will be if it's due to complacency.

Couldn't tell you what the atmosphere is like as I haven't been to a game in years

It just feels like a lot of people think West ham was the one that got us over the line.

I hope it's as easy and as entertaining as West ham was.

Like everyone else I was really worried before the game but then when winston Reid carried his kids out on to the pitch before kickoff I felt West Ham wouldn't really be up for the fight,didn't expect four goals but when we got to the last twenty we should have really gone for more goals (fuck'n greedy bastard origi)goal difference could be crucial,if city draw at Watford,we need to win by three or four goals to finish third,a couple more goals against a demoralised West Ham could have made the difference

• Upvote 2

After the double miss of the season in the first half, west ham gave up. Then added to Bilic making some strange substitutions in the second half, which did more to destabilise them that solidify them, there was only ever going to be one winner.

We ran out easy winners and as mentioned prior it could or should, of been 6 possibly 7. One word of note - its true what they say about putting square pegs in round holes, what an awful, awful ground to hold a football match in. It they'll go down next season if they continue to play like that and have so little noise/atmosphere to get behind them.