You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Losing doesn't hurt them enough

Marko121

It's a difficult thing, as there's so much money in the game that a key part of professional incentive - how a person is materially rewarded - is not really there for them, when even relative mediocrity turns into a multi millionaire who is set for life.

At that point something deeper, and more personal, is needed. Milner embodies it. Where was he for the West Brom selfie? Getting showered and changed, presumably, and looking ahead to the next challenge as the job is not done.

We need good players first and foremost, but allied with that we need winners - players who hurt when we lose. I think the problem of finding them in this day and age, given the riches in the game, goes much wider than Liverpool.

Weve a squad full of shit mid table players, mainly bought from clubs that losing often. Of course it doesn't hurt them, it's the norm for them.

Sent from my B1-770 using Tapatalk

Souness from Middlesborough, Keegan from Scunthorpe, Rush from Chester, Beardsley from Newcastle, Hansen from Patrick Thistle, Lawrenson from Brighton.  

Our best players have always come from mid table or lower league teams.  The point you're trying to make is bollocks.  

• Upvote 1

The mentality thing is overblown. You look at the level of ability in the squad yesterday and it's hard to imagine that team being able to consistently get results, no matter how strong they are mentally.  

That being said, when you try building a young side it goes without saying that there will be a lack of experience and know-how and this philosophy won't change as along as we have the same owners and Klopp at the helm.

Also, it's not as simple as simply buying "winners". To get "winners", we've got to be playing at the highest level and give them reason to believe that we're going places, or else there is no reason for them to want to join. This is why the Champions League is so important for us and Klopp absolutely knows this.   

The mentality thing is overblown. You look at the level of ability in the squad yesterday and it's hard to imagine that team being able to consistently get results, no matter how strong they are mentally.  

That being said, when you try building a young side it goes without saying that there will be a lack of experience and know-how and this philosophy won't change as along as we have the same owners and Klopp at the helm.

Also, it's not as simple as simply buying "winners". To get "winners", we've got to be playing at the highest level and give them reason to believe that we're going places, or else there is no reason for them to want to join. This is why the Champions League is so important for us and Klopp absolutely knows this.   

Agree with that, it's an average squad at the very best. Possibly only Coutinho would get into Rafa's 2009 team, and  only then at a push. 

Souness from Middlesborough, Keegan from Scunthorpe, Rush from Chester, Beardsley from Newcastle, Hansen from Patrick Thistle, Lawrenson from Brighton.

Our best players have always come from mid table or lower league teams. The point you're trying to make is bollocks.

You'd have a point if it was still 1980.

Sent from my B1-770 using Tapatalk

When Klopp came out with his now sort of famous "I can't stop thinking about that fucking crystal palace game" I was made up.  When we lose I want every player and coach involved to feel sick to their stomach, to lose sleep that night, to examine every step they took before and during the game to see what they could've done differently to win.

Sadly I don't think it happens.  Post match selfies after a win at WBA mean jack shit. 

I remember reading that the defenders in 78/9 used to struggle to sleep if they'd conceded a goal (which they did 16 times in 42 league matches) regardless of whether the team had won.

Somehow, I don't imagine the current squad feel the same.

Our best players have always come from mid table or lower league teams.  The point you're trying to make is bollocks.  

Conversely, Sturridge - formerly of City and Chelsea - is probably the one player who most consistently gets slated on here for his supposedly shithouse attitude.

Reina, Villareal.

Macherano, West Ham.

Hyypia, Willem II.

Theres always going to be exceptions but they're terrible examples.

Reina came from Villerreal via Barca, Masch was an Argentina international with numerous honors and if I remember rightly Sami had just helped his team reach the champions league which he gave up the chance of competing in to join us.

Sent from my LG-H340n using Tapatalk