You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

May calls General Election on 8 June

jimmycase

Bugger, who's watch did that happen on?

New Labour's.

They ignored all those loud and incessant warnings from the Tories, who were always calling for greater regulation of the financial sector, more investment in the "real economy", more secure employment and decent wages, action to tackle inequality, action to tackle tax-dodging, etc.

(In case there's any doubt, that was sarcastic; the Tories never did any of those things.)

• Upvote 1

Milliband got hammered for his odd appearance yet the absolute state of May and not a peep, she's genuinely one of the strangest looking people I've ever seen, have you seen the shape of her? I know appearances are unimportant and shouldn't matter a jot but the double standards are sickening. I also think that for those bemoaning the media bias against Corbyn Milliband had it far worse, I don't think the media have really gone to to town on Corbyn, well not as ferociously as I was expecting, I don't tbelieve they see him as any kind of a threat and they are right of course.

I'm convinced she's part-Skeksis.

New Labour's.

They ignored all those loud and incessant warnings from the Tories, who were always calling for greater regulation of the financial sector, more investment in the "real economy", more secure employment and decent wages, action to tackle inequality, action to tackle tax-dodging, etc.

(In case there's any doubt, that was sarcastic; the Tories never did any of those things.)

So not 'true labour'. Not your Labour.

And it's the fault of the Tories?

Can't you see the dishonesty?

So not 'true labour'. Not your Labour.

And it's the fault of the Tories?

Can't you see the dishonesty?

This is a thread about the 2017 General Election.  The current Labour leader - and the Shadow Chancellor - have never been massive fans of the economic policies of New Labour.  ("True Labour" is your expression.  I'm happy just to call them "Labour".)

I never said it was all the fault of the Tories. (If I had said that, it would not only be dishonest, it would be stupid.  So I didn't say it.)  The global financial fuck-ups of 2007/08 had deep roots, with lots of people in lots of countries with a lot to apologise for.  But you have to see the dishonesty in anyone crying "it happened on your watch" unless they were at least calling for a change to a less risky economic strategy.  

Tories don't get to call New Labour out for acting like Tories.

• Upvote 3

Labour easily beating Tories among under-40s in the polls.

A clue to the gap comes because those under 40 report being significantly less likely to vote than those over 40. Just more than 40 per cent of the younger cohort say they are “certain to vote” compared with 64 per cent of the older cohort.

The divide in the poll mirrors the split at the European Union referendum, where older voters pulled Britain out of the European Union against the overwhelming wishes of younger voters.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/labour-polls-snap-general-election-2017-live-poll-under-40s-young-people-older-winning-a7702616.html

One of the first polls that takes account of the election campaigning.

A+7% swing to Labour in a week from the previous poll.

Not that I hold stock in them but many on here do. 

It will be the regular  non voters who come out for Labour who will have a massive say in this election.

C-Xmf6LWAAApmfT.jpg

446b45a86d7077a0cc85ded4472500d9_reasona

Thats what i dont understand

Loads of youngsters pissed that the elderly swayed the out vote. You'd think they'd realise that they can do the same yet probably be at home instead of voting

Labour should get Joey Essex to do a party political broadcast.

"I don't know nuffink about politicals or nuffink, right, but I met Jezza Corbyn and he seemed like a nice bloke, so I'm votin for I'm, like."

Sad, but likely to add a few hundred thousand young votes to the tally.

Average age of BBC viewer now 60+

March 30, 2017

The rise in popularity of online streaming services such as Netflix and Amazon Prime has driven the average age of those watching the BBC is over 60.

A report by the BBC Trust found the corporation’s mainstream services struggle to appeal to younger viewers. It showed that the average age of BBC1 viewers is 61 while on BBC2 it is 62. And it said trends in how youngsters watch TV had worked against efforts to make the BBC more appealing to them.

The report also showed less than half agreed that the BBC makes shows nobody else would. But the number of people who felt it makes high-quality programmes was 73 per cent.

The Trust also revealed the growth of BBC Online had slowed in the past couple of years, adding that the “breadth” of use of services such as iPlayer “is lower than we might expect”. But it is second to Netflix among 16 to 34-year-olds.

The report said: “Overall, the challenge facing the BBC in serving younger audiences is becoming more acute. Addressing this challenge will have to be a clear priority for the new BBC Board.

http://advanced-television.com/2017/03/30/average-age-of-bbc-viewer-now-60/

One of the polls I saw had the over 60s at around 60 % to vote tory compared to 12-17% to vote Labour.

Davy Jones‏ @davyjones4ktown Delighted that @BHGreens decided we unilaterally stand down in Brighton Kemptown to help defeat sitting Tory MP

2015 Election. 

Conservative Simon Kirby [8] 18,428 40.7 +2.7

Labour Nancy Platts[8] 17,738 39.2 +4.3

UKIP Ian Buchanan[9] 4,446 9.8 +6.6 

Green Davy Jones [8] 3,187 7.0 +1.6 

Liberal Democrat Paul Chandler[10] 1,365 3.0 −15.0

I think Labour will do better than people are predicting, the real hope will be if the Lib Dems can take a lot of seats and we get some kind of non Tory coalition - even though Farron has ruled it out they always say that. The country has got absolutely nothing to lose by doing that, and once they're in maybe they could bring about some kind of voting reform - the country needs one, the days of two party politics are dead all over the western world. 

I think Labour will do better than people are predicting, the real hope will be if the Lib Dems can take a lot of seats and we get some kind of non Tory coalition - even though Farron has ruled it out they always say that. The country has got absolutely nothing to lose by doing that, and once they're in maybe they could bring about some kind of voting reform - the country needs one, the days of two party politics are dead all over the western world. 

There are even several seats when Labour should be doing deals with the Greens.

Up until a few days ago I thought it wouldn't be as bad as predicted for Labour but now I think it will. Could even end up being worse.

Up until a few days ago I thought it wouldn't be as bad as predicted for Labour but now I think it will. Could even end up being worse.

People who voted leave are doubling down on their vote by backing the Tories. Whatever the cost. Someone mentioned it previously but leaving the EU is now equal to a religious fervour.