You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Moped or Car

Remmie

I got a new job recently and I need to learn how to drive one of the above to get to it, I guess it's aboot time I learned how to drive at 36! Unfortunately I know fuck all about cars and mopeds. My new workplace is 11 miles away in country roads.

With some help from my boss, I am looking at the following costs if I get a car:

• Crash driving course - £1,200
  • Car - £1,000
  • Insurance - £1,200
  • Tax and other miscellaneous stuff £500

Pros:

• Safer
  • Able to take passengers
  • Useful for longer distance journeys
  • Better for shopping
  • Will be pretty important if/when kids arrive.

Cons:

• I haven't got £4k so I'm looking at a loan
  • Endless surprise costs with cars

My boss recommended looking at cars with 60-80k max on the clock, 5 door for when kids come along and to only bother with diesel if I plan on doing a lot more distance driving than to and from work. No one in my family drive though they do have licenses, so he recommended adding their names as additional drivers on the insurance to help bring the cost down. Any more advice?

Now, on to the moped. This was always going to be a shorter term deal to get me to work and give me the chance to improve roads skills and save for a car before winter ice on country roads becomes a serious possibility. This I know a lot less about, but I know a CBT course should only be around £100-150 and it'll get me a moped that will easily do the work commute for me. Any idea of a ball park figure how much insurance would be on a 50cc moped for a first time driver my age? I'm thinking of spending £750-£1k on the moped and safety gear on it if that makes any odds.

Pros:

• Much cheaper in the short term.
  • Allows me to feel out work surroundings and potentially make alternative drive share options with colleagues.
  • Gives me time to learn how to drive and spread the cost over time a bit more without plunging me into debt so massively.

Cons:

• More dangerous
  • Still a short term cost that will not negate too much of future costs for the car.

Are there any other options I've not even thought of? Quad bike? Helicopter? Velociraptor?

I have a moped which I use to get to work. They are cheap to run and they are cheap to buy. It will cost you about 6/7 quid a week in petrol and my insurance is 18 quid a month without breaking down cover. They are great as they are cheaper than public transport and you don't have ghetto fucking around with late buses trains etc as well as walking to bus stops. You also can't give people a lift which is a good thing as some people are disks.

I bought my bike new for 1000 quid and it's just over 2 years old but I would advise you get break down cover as they are prone to things going wrong with them as they get older. They don't cost a lot to repair as the things that go wrong with them are generally just maintenance issues.

You will get cold in the winter and you will need a good set of waterproofs.

I am about the same age as you and don't drive but owning a scooter and the few times it needs to go in for repair/maintenance has convinced me to not buy a cheap second hand car but to buy a new one if possible or a new as possible car.

If you're going to be riding on busy roads with a 60mph speed limit you should buy a 125cc scooter as they are more powerful and faster.

• Upvote 1

If you're already thinking that you'll need a car if and when a mini Remmie comes along then you might as well bite the bullet and get your license sorted now.

Ignore your boss about the mileage. Just get yourself a £500-£700 runaround to begin with because chances are it will get bashed around a bit anyway. Especially if you're doing one of those crash courses. They're geared around getting you through the test but you only really learn how to drive through experience.

• Upvote 1

If you're already thinking that you'll need a car if and when a mini Remmie comes along then you might as well bite the bullet and get your license sorted now.

Ignore your boss about the mileage. Just get yourself a £500-£700 runaround to begin with because chances are it will get bashed around a bit anyway. Especially if you're doing one of those crash courses. They're geared around getting you through the test but you only really learn how to drive through experience.

These.

I would agree with the above. If you have the time to take driving lessons then do it and buy a car. Failing that I would buy a second hand scooter and use it for 12 months or so and then buy yourself a car. You won't have to fork out money for a crash course and it will still probably be cheaper than paying for public transport and a lot more convenient.

• Upvote 1

Car,and diesel has become more expensive in recent years so costs for both it and petrol over a period of time are similar. Mopeds are death machines as far as I am concerned and a car is much safer.

They aren't as safe as cars cause you're not enclosed you also have to be a little bit extra careful when you're riding one.

If you're sensible and you are careful you should be alright.

I was faced with a similar dilemma when I was in my twenties, Potless and needing transport to get to and from work,

I scraped together the deposit on a small bike,  I fucking hated the thing, .Uncomfortable, noisy and just utterly grim in the winter getting home every night frozen solid . Did it for about a year then bit the bullet and got hold of an old banger for buttons which need a new motor,

Me and my mate swapped it over from one from the scrappy and it did me for a couple of years. Mind you back then cars were pretty simple., Bag of spanners ,a Haynes manual and prayer were all you needed,

Get a car if you possibly can is my advice , unless you like bikes which I positively don't 

• Upvote 1

Defo a car mate.

But the advice about not going over 60-80k in mileage is bollocks. Especially when you factor in you only want to spend a grand.

When we got back from Dubai I bought the missus a 52 plate Ford Focus 1.8TDi for £500.

Good nick and cheap to run. It now has 203k on the clock.

Mileage is nothing like it used to be and you can get some great bargains out there if you're confident enough to buy privately.

Do you have a mate who's a mechanic that would look at some cars with you?

Agree with Capt T. get a banger for a couple of 100 to learn how to really drive not just pass the test.

Once you are confident and have saved a few quid get an 18 month old small car. You dont need a 5 door till the kids are getting in and out themselves.

Im getting a 3 door next week the kids can walk

p1030131.jpg

Cycling isn't really realistic as they are country roads and not very safe plus I will have worked 12 hours and be fucked when I'm finished. Public transport is also out, the workplace is in the middle of nowhere and I will work funny hours.

On the moped topic, I think I would be doing a cbt which only covers 50cc engines, not sure it's worth going for higher cc engines for a stopgap.

Really torn on this, both options have their merits. Looks like I'm starting at the end of May so need to make a decision in the next week or so.

Any advice on a decent first car then for £500-£1,000 then? I think I am pretty set on a 5 door as it will be good for my old man to get in and out of as well as the kid considerations. What else should I be looking at in spec?

Cycling isn't really realistic as they are country roads and not very safe plus I will have worked 12 hours and be fucked when I'm finished. Public transport is also out, the workplace is in the middle of nowhere and I will work funny hours.

On the moped topic, I think I would be doing a cbt which only covers 50cc engines, not sure it's worth going for higher cc engines for a stopgap.

Really torn on this, both options have their merits. Looks like I'm starting at the end of May so need to make a decision in the next week or so.

Any advice on a decent first car then for £500-£1,000 then? I think I am pretty set on a 5 door as it will be good for my old man to get in and out of as well as the kid considerations. What else should I be looking at in spec?

Dont get set on any particular make or model. Just have an engine size, price and insurance cost in mind. Then get the best deal available.

Corsa, Fiesta or Susuki swift spring to mind any will do. Nothing boneheads will have tweeked

• Upvote 1

Cut will cover you for anything up to 125cc. No motorways no pillion must have L plates.
  • Upvote 1