You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

You are the President of a Football Club...

3 Stacks

Got to say though,that whoever is in charge of RB Leipzig's recruitment has done a magnificent job. There is barely a recognisable name in the whole squad and they are challenging for an automatic CL place in their first season in the top division. Despite the hatred of the 'franchise' its still one hell of an achievement and one FSG may be looking to copy.

I don't think people would like it very much if we copied Leipzig. They basically just buy the best young players that they can find at the cheapest price. I think they have a policy of only buying players 23 and under. They are doing a great job this season, and I'm not sure what their plans will be in terms of selling their players, but I doubt they will ever win trophies with that kind of philosophy.

I don't think people would like it very much if we copied Leipzig. They basically just buy the best young players that they can find at the cheapest price. I think they have a policy of only buying players 23 and under. They are doing a great job this season, and I'm not sure what their plans will be in terms of selling their players, but I doubt they will ever win trophies with that kind of philosophy.

You've just described the Holy Grail in modern football preceded by the word 'just.' There is no just about it,its fantastic scouting,and remember that they have a former 3rd choice Liverpool keeper and an ex Nottingham Forest player in their ranks. Thats brilliant and doesn't deserve anything but credit. You can easily,and with justification,claim that they have become too powerful to quickly due to backing from a multinational but their dealings in the transfer market have been admirable.

This tier 1/tier 2 bollocks seems to be the complete antithesis of how the top continental clubs came to hire these names in the first place.

Guardiola had spent a year managing a B team before he got the Barca job (in part because he was a great player there) and won the treble in his first season.

Conte had spent 5 years managing mostly in Serie B before he got the Juve job (in part because he was a great player there) and won the title in his first season.

Zidane had spent a year and a half managing a B team before he got the Real Madrid job (in part because he was a great player there) and won the Champions League in his first season.

Enrique had spent 6 years winning fuck all before he got the Barca job (in part because he was a great player there) and won the treble in his first season.

Simeone was hired largely because of his playing career at Atletico.

Allegri and Klopp had won fuck all managing shit teams for 7 years before they got the Milan and Dortmund jobs, whose boards presumably cared more about what they could do than what they had done. 

Sampaoli had never won a trophy outside of Chile when Sevilla hired him.

Low had achieved nothing as a manager when he got the Germany job.

None of them would have made a 15 man list of the "best" managers around and none would have been accepted for any top job in England, where the views of the role are outdated and simplistic as fuck, akin to a child in a sweet shop pointing at whichever flavours are most popular that month and shouting "I WANT THAT ONE!"

• Upvote 1

This tier 1/tier 2 bollocks seems to be the complete antithesis of how the top continental clubs came to hire these names in the first place.

Guardiola had spent a year managing a B team before he got the Barca job (in part because he was a great player there) and won the treble in his first season.

Conte had spent 5 years managing mostly in Serie B before he got the Juve job (in part because he was a great player there) and won the title in his first season.

Zidane had spent a year and a half managing a B team before he got the Real Madrid job (in part because he was a great player there) and won the Champions League in his first season.

Enrique had spent 6 years winning fuck all before he got the Barca job (in part because he was a great player there) and won the treble in his first season.

Allegri and Klopp had won fuck all managing shit teams for 7 years before they got the Milan and Dortmund jobs, whose boards presumably cared more about what they could do than what they had done. 

None of them would have made a 15 man list of the "best" managers around and none would have been accepted for any top job in England, where the views of the role are outdated and simplistic as fuck, akin to a child in a sweet shop pointing at whichever flavours are most popular that month and shouting "I WANT THAT ONE!"

Good post in full!

This is just a ranking of managers, man. I'm not asking people to unearth the next Guardiola, just rank who they think are the best and therefore, who they would consider if they were President of a club with the ability to hire anyone they wanted.

You've just described the Holy Grail in modern football preceded by the word 'just.' There is no just about it,its fantastic scouting,and remember that they have a former 3rd choice Liverpool keeper and an ex Nottingham Forest player in their ranks. Thats brilliant and doesn't deserve anything but credit. You can easily,and with justification,claim that they have become too powerful to quickly due to backing from a multinational but their dealings in the transfer market have been admirable.

It's really not that impressive. The ex-Nottingham Forest player has been thought of as the next Gareth Bale. Plenty of big clubs were interested in signing him, it's not some feat of scouting.

I can guarantee you if Liverpool had set out to only buy young players at cut-rate prices, people would be seething even more at FSG than they already are.

I don't disagree with this.

I think Tuchel is usually closer to the sack than winning a trophy in any given season. I think his struggles are enhancing Klopp's reputation for breaking Bayern's stranglehold by the minute.

Got to say though,that whoever is in charge of RB Leipzig's recruitment has done a magnificent job. There is barely a recognisable name in the whole squad and they are challenging for an automatic CL place in their first season in the top division. Despite the hatred of the 'franchise' its still one hell of an achievement and one FSG may be looking to copy.

It's a magnificent achievement no question about it, and i agree with your thoughts about Tuchel's struggles elevating Klopp's legacy. 

Managers can kiss my hoop and I'll decide after that.

More important, I'm banning Twitter /Facebook /Snapchat /Club Penguin / any and everything else that let's my employees open their mouths. Haircuts will be by appointment with the club barber and headphones will be confiscated on sight.