You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Employment rights

Kidder Bukowski

If he was making the pizzas and it was a whopper of a beard then they could say it was un hygienic and a beard snood wouldn't cover it (health and safety enforce this rule that if you aren't clean shaven you need to wear a snood).

They may have a policy that they don't allow delivery drivers to be cleaned shaven or not have long beards as it may come across as un hygienic.if he has agreed to this then he won't have much choice but to shave or get a new job.

Having tasted Dominos Pizzas,I'd say they would benefit from facial hair in them. After all they do already contain knob cheese.

My son started a new job last month, contracted to a high street banks. Since accepting the job he's found out that the role is a permanent night shift with no additional payment, a percentage of his earnings are creamed off by the contractor and and all holidays are unpaid. What kind of third world economy are we living in?

You can imagine my relief when he was offered another job at the beginning of the week.

• Upvote 2

My son started a new job last month, contracted to a high street banks. Since accepting the job he's found out that the role is a permanent night shift with no additional payment, a percentage of his earnings are creamed off by the contractor and and all holidays are unpaid. What kind of third world economy are we living in?

You can imagine my relief when he was offered another job at the beginning of the week.

That's pretty standard stuff for contracting/temping roles, you basically get shafted from every angle, although I've not heard of the nightshift one before.

Glad to hear he's got something (hopefully) better.

Holidays are a statutory right everyone is entitled to paid leave.

Holidays are a statutory right everyone is entitled to paid leave.

See my post. He will be getting holiday pay but it is added on top of his regular wage. For example, his rate could be say £7.50ph but he receives his annual holiday pay on top and get say £7.87ph but nothing when he takes his actual holiday

• 8 months later...

Is anyone here a professional in employment law and willing to help our a mate of mine who's just been sacked with zero notice (in contradiction to the employee handbook) in a small employer?  Just hoping to pass on an email address to the girl who's distraught

Paulie, a few things to get you prepared for ACAS meeting suggested by others.

• Copy of contract of employment (should show start date)
  • Copy of Employee handbook: to show relevant breach
  • Old payslips (to demonstrate salary and allow calculation of severance pay amount if entitled)

If they have been in continuous employment for a minimum of 2 years it is actually difficult to sack someone now without the correct procedures being followed, which this employer appears to have ignored. Do you know if she had a dismissal letter or disciplinary meeting?

I hope it all goes well for your mate. 

Yeah

My lot shit themselves as soon as i involved them and the GMB. Too many people not union members or willing/able to fight issues these days

Its only £2.17 a month even when not in work too. Can help benefit claimants with the vicious onslaught by the cunts in power to strip them of their right to benefits.