You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New TV - Sony XD9035

Brownie

Anyone got this TV? Been looking at a few and it was between this and the Samsung KS8000.

The Sony edged it purely due to the built in Android which means I can use Kodi without a stick.

Anyone got either of these?

Does the fact this TV has android mean you can subscribe to the sites that show footie, films and TV shows that you can do on an android box without having to buy an android box?

The Samsung KS7000 gets great reviews and is a few hundred less than the KS8000. The 55inch has just been reduced to 1000. 

It was actually 900 before Christmas and I am gutted I didn't buy it myself at that price. 1000 is still a bargain. 

Found the KS7000 55inch for 930

https://www.powerdirect.co.uk/index.php/tv-and-video/televisions/uhd-4k-television/samsung-ue55ks7000-55-suhd-4k-smart-freeviewhd-led-tv-2100-pqi.html

I think now is a really good time to buy, they seem to have good deals as the new models come out in April

Does this Sony TV mean that you can get the footy as well as films like you do with an android box?

No idea what the Android boxes are all about mate. If you download Kodi then yes you can get all the movies and footy etc. Having it built in just means there's no need for a stick etc.

I do't have the set, but I was considering a new TV recently and the thing that stood out for me with the Sony was the high input lag for gaming. Not sure if that's an issue for you, but worth bearing in mind. I believe there's been a firmware update, but I think it's still on the higher side compared to the Samsung.

I'm not a gamer mate. I'll be buying a console for my lad in the next year or so but it'll just be casual gaming, nothing major.

I did read that the firmware update fixed that issue though to the point where it's no longer noticeable to the non-geeks!

I do't have the set, but I was considering a new TV recently and the thing that stood out for me with the Sony was the high input lag for gaming. Not sure if that's an issue for you, but worth bearing in mind. I believe there's been a firmware update, but I think it's still on the higher side compared to the Samsung.

Have you put the picture mode to gaming ? I have a LG and if its in any other picture mode then gaming it has a delay in it, but after i switch to gaming mode the tv works perfectly with any console. 

Have you put the picture mode to gaming ? I have a LG and if its in any other picture mode then gaming it has a delay in it, but after i switch to gaming mode the tv works perfectly with any console. 

I haven't bought the new TV yet, but that sounds about par for the course for LG sets. The lower OLED is still to receive its HDR game mode update, and that's the one I'm interested in. 

No idea what the Android boxes are all about mate. If you download Kodi then yes you can get all the movies and footy etc. Having it built in just means there's no need for a stick etc.

I meant Kodi boxes. Don't Kodi boxes just give you a link to certain websites that allow you to stream films and sports.

Thanks for the info.

Would you be able to install Kodi on an android TV or the Kodi apps on an Andriod Sony TV or even use the TV in the same ways as a Kodi box?

It should be alright but it seems to depend on which television as they aren't all the same chipset and some run it better than others. Here's a long thread (I only had a quick look) with people having success with some models but trouble with others

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=229348

I'd Google the exact model of telly first to see how Kodi runs on it.

To be honest, I wouldn't buy one myself unless it was exactly the same price as one without it as a separate box is dirt cheap anyway, small enough to hide away, a lot easier to upgrade in the future and is probably going to run Kodi better.

• Upvote 2

Any good guides?

Install Kodi, then Phoenix. The Alpha section inside there has the best 4k streams imo.

After that you would need to go into your Kodi video settings, set it to advanced and then you need to alter the 3 video acceleration settings. Make sure the top on is off, the other 2 set to on.

Got that ?

• Upvote 1

Install Kodi, then Phoenix. The Alpha section inside there has the best 4k streams imo.

After that you would need to go into your Kodi video settings, set it to advanced and then you need to alter the 3 video acceleration settings. Make sure the top on is off, the other 2 set to on.

Got that ?

Good man.

• 4 weeks later...

Found the KS7000 55inch for 930

https://www.powerdirect.co.uk/index.php/tv-and-video/televisions/uhd-4k-television/samsung-ue55ks7000-55-suhd-4k-smart-freeviewhd-led-tv-2100-pqi.html

I think now is a really good time to buy, they seem to have good deals as the new models come out in April

The above television is now back down to 900 pounds. 

https://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-ue55ks7000-suhd-hdr-1-000-4k-ultra-hd-quantum-dot-smart-tv-55-with-freeview-hd-freesat-hd-branch-feet-design-uhd-premium/p2613450?s_afcid=af_103504&tmad=c&awc=1203_1490186237_cc466206e141434622497c2d03438660&tmcampid=48

As I stated above now is a really good time to buy as the new models come out in April, so they want to get rid of old stock;

http://www.techradar.com/news/television/hdtv/cheap-tvs-and-tv-deals-1171772

As an aside Martin Dawes (by Ikea Warrington) always have good deals on that are not on their web site, I always go there once I find the model I want.

• Upvote 1

Ended up buying the Samsung KS8000 and got the HWJ6500R soundbar for free. Early impressions are very good. Waiting for Sky Q to be installed on Thursday to see some proper 4K content in action.

What package did you get with Sky Q?  I'm thinking of upgrading and wondering what packages people are paying?

What package did you get with Sky Q? I'm thinking of upgrading and wondering what packages people are paying?

Full package mate, with multiroom. We left and they offered us 60% off Sky+ to come back within a month or 35% off if we upgraded to Sky Q.

We moved house and got Virgin free for 3 months but hate it already. We're not paying anything for the boxes, installation or moving house so full package is £60 a month for 12 months.

• Upvote 1