You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Headphones

Allan

After a new pair of on ear headphones, as my Audio Technica ATH-AD700s are starting to give up the ghost.

I've got a few pairs on my shortlist, including another couple of pairs of Audio Technicas, but wanted to know if folk had experience with AKG or Beyerdynamics on/over ear headphones, or with the Philips Fidelia X2 specifically?

The problem with headphones is it's all about useage and personal tastes. Also it is model depended eg Philips Fidelio x1 are more V shaped than the X2.

Right now I have Fidelio x2, Sennheiser M2, Sennheiser HD800, and a set of shure se845 iems. All provide a different experience, and I chose which set depending on what it is I am doing; anyway some focus on the X2.

Nice set of headphones if a little heavy on your head but you soon adjust to that. U shaped sound signature and just the right bass to give a nice deep sound to games and movies without over powering the mids.

I use them mainly as my PC set with a vmoda boom mic if I need to speak. Way better than any headset. Or if I want a little more bass than my HD800s provide when listening to music that calls for this. They provide a good sound stage and placement ofsounds. As they are open backs they will not block noise out at all but don't leak sound too badly compared with other opens.

Most people who hear them seem to like them, however, their experience of decent quality headphones is slim to none existent. I love them - they are the pair that started my headphone interest. They are highly regarded on many headphone forums and sites, even on inner fidelity wall of fame still, with some very expensive peers:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-over-ear-open#DdI2V4RyCoE5Ad7h.97

Here is a review of loads of different headphones it focuses on use for gaming but he also talks about sound signatures, and general stuff. It is a brilliant site to learn about headphones and if the ones you want to read about are not there they will be in the review section on main page

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-3-18-2016-mrspeakers-ether-c-1-1-added

• Upvote 1

Still using my AKG 451's - one of the best set of headphones i have ever owned (for under £50) - however i bought some Y50's (£70) and they were woeful and i gave them to my son.

Couldn't recommend the former highly enough, the latter though, the complete opposite.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Thanks for the replies.

The new headphones are for long(er) sessions at home, so comfort is top of the list of requirements.

I'll be using them with my PSVR headset, so they need to be flexible enough to sit atop the VR headset, while the cups will need to cover my ears, while sitting on the bottom edge of the VR headset headband that runs just above the ear.

As you can see from the image below, the headband for the VR headset runs quite low on the head, close to the ears, and with my planet sized noggin, the headband runs a little closer than it does in the image below, after I've made the necessary adjustments.

playstation-vr-psvr.jpg?w=600

I like the flexibility provided by my old ATH-AD700s, and the cups are super comfortable for long(er) sessions.

headphones_small.jpg

It's likely that I'll end up getting a pair of the ATH-AD500X or the ATH-AD700X by Audio Technica, but I've read a lot of good things about the the Fidelia X2s, and I've always been intrigued by AKG & Beyerdynamics, as they too normally get very good write ups.

The AKG & Beyerdynamic headphones on my shortlist are:

AKG 702

Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

Beyerdynamic DT990 Premium

I'm not convinced that the headbands on the Beyerdynamics will suit being used with the VR headset, so they're at the bottom of my list, unless I can be convinced that there is sufficient flexibility in the headband for my requirements.

Used X2 with HTC Vive and Oculus rift (DK2 and CS). Didn't get to try with psvr as although I had one sat in.living room it was a gift so managed not to 'see if it was working'.

The X2 are built like tanks and can be pulled apart more if needed without worrying you will break them, also the standard jack on either end of the cable means it can be used with vmoda boom mic and turned in to a headset. As I said before biggest draw back is weight for some, personally I think they are ok.

Out of the ones listed I have heard the k702, nice and light, sounds decent but just lacked the rumble I like for gaming, when things are exploding all around you.

Another thing with the AKG you will have to consider is amping. They are listed as 62 Ohm if memory serves or there about, but are a very hungry headphone and need a bit of a boost. They Beyers will definitely need amping as the ones you linked are both 250 Ohms, although you can get some 32.

Not heared either of the ATH.

• Upvote 1

Used X2 with HTC Vive and Oculus rift (DK2 and CS). Didn't get to try with psvr as although I had one sat in.living room it was a gift so managed not to 'see if it was working'.

The X2 are built like tanks and can be pulled apart more if needed without worrying you will break them, also the standard jack on either end of the cable means it can be used with vmoda boom mic and turned in to a headset. As I said before biggest draw back is weight for some, personally I think they are ok.

Out of the ones listed I have heard the k702, nice and light, sounds decent but just lacked the rumble I like for gaming, when things are exploding all around you.

Another thing with the AKG you will have to consider is amping. They are listed as 62 Ohm if memory serves or there about, but are a very hungry headphone and need a bit of a boost. They Beyers will definitely need amping as the ones you linked are both 250 Ohms, although you can get some 32.

Not heared either of the ATH.

Thanks.

Won't need the mic for gaming, the VR is purely for solo gaming or 3D BluRay.

I have a pair of Astro A50s for online gaming on the PS4 or XB1. I've also got a pair of Turtle Beach PX5s if I ever fancy going back to the PS3 or Xbox 360.

I've got a FiiO E7 knocking around somewhere, as well as a Topping NX1, so if I need a little amp to run any headphones through, they go through either of those.

In which case it is just preferance on sound signatures then.

As I don't think there is anywhere around where you can try them all out togeather, I would narrow it down to 2-3 pairs and order from amazon, sending back the losers. Your own equipment can effect how the headphone sounds also, as you probably know, so nothing will beat having them in your house with time to try them.

As far as headsets go, I have tried many over the years spent decent amounts on some of them too (£200+). I dont think I would go back to them now having used the set up I have. I think most, even the likes of Sennheiser one of my favourite headphone companys, use a cheaper headphone, stick a mic to it and double the price.

Another pair you might want to consider are Senn HD 598, very highly reguarded for gaming and great quality. Amazon have the black pair for £130 that so £70 less than the cream set.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Owned / tried extensively M2, QC35 and the Sonys.

M2s I love both asthetically and the sound but has the odd BT cutout. They feel premium and just so high-end whist being light and comdertable. The for a small pair of closed backs they are airier than most whilst having good balanced sound quality, decent detail and imaging,

QC 35 great connectivity and fantasic NC but just lacked that premium feel of the Senns and where not as conferatble as tge sonys. I didnt enjoy the sound as much either, but I am a bit of a Senn fan as I have previously stated. Lack AptX.

Leaving the Sonys, they nailed it. I found them the most comfertable of the 3, premium feel and sony have put alot if work in to the NC and their sense sound - whilst I have not had the 3 pair next to each other for a side to side comparison the consensus is the NC tops the Bose. Solid bass but not over powering, very good mids and the highs.

If it was me I would go for the Sonys, I actually want them myself but Im banned from headphone shopping since I have a couple of premium iems coming this month.

I am pretty sure John Lewis stocks all 3 as well as the others so go have a look there.

You prob already know this but will say anywa - make sure you listen to the same bit of music you know well on the same device on all and make sure its High Res.

PS - the Sonys are awsome

Owned / tried extensively M2, QC35 and the Sonys.

M2s I love both asthetically and the sound but has the odd BT cutout. They feel premium and just so high-end whist being light and comdertable. The for a small pair of closed backs they are airier than most whilst having good balanced sound quality, decent detail and imaging,

QC 35 great connectivity and fantasic NC but just lacked that premium feel of the Senns and where not as conferatble as tge sonys. I didnt enjoy the sound as much either, but I am a bit of a Senn fan as I have previously stated. Lack AptX.

Leaving the Sonys, they nailed it. I found them the most comfertable of the 3, premium feel and sony have put alot if work in to the NC and their sense sound - whilst I have not had the 3 pair next to each other for a side to side comparison the consensus is the NC tops the Bose. Solid bass but not over powering, very good mids and the highs.

If it was me I would go for the Sonys, I actually want them myself but Im banned from headphone shopping since I have a couple of premium iems coming this month.

I am pretty sure John Lewis stocks all 3 as well as the others so go have a look there.

You prob already know this but will say anywa - make sure you listen to the same bit of music you know well on the same device on all and make sure its High Res.

PS - the Sonys are awsome

Thanks for the insight.

I've ordered the Sennheisers on ears as they are £200 delivered from Amazon Germany at the moment (£80 cheaper than the UK).

https://www.amazon.de/Sennheiser-MOMENTUM-Wireless-Kopfhörer-schwarz/dp/B00TKH1AQC

They look fantastic and I'm sure they sound as good as they look. The way they fold up is also a huge bonus as won't take up much room when carrying them around.

x1_desktop_sennheiser-momentum-wireless-

Will buy the Sony's at some point. Can't spend £330 on headphones at the moment. Will bite when there's a good deal on.

Just to clarify its the M.2 over ears I have,

I have not actually tried the on ears as I can never get them to sit comfortably. Just a personal thing I think and that is all on-ears not just senn. Materials differ as on ears use alcantara but Senn are usually really good build quality and offer good support if any problems.

Just to clarify its the M.2 over ears I have,

I have not actually tried the on ears as I can never get them to sit comfortably. Just a personal thing I think and that is all on-ears not just senn. Materials differ as on ears use alcantara but Senn are usually really good build quality and offer good support if any problems.

I ended up cancelling the order as I wanted over ears originally. Didn't see the point in going for the on ears.

The over ears are on Amazon Spain for £260, but only in the Ivory colour.

Will wait till the black ones are a similar price as don't want to worry about getting them dirty.

• Upvote 1

Can anyone recommend some cheaper over ear headphones? They'll just be used for listening to Spotify on my phone at home and I'm not willing to spend any more than £20-£30.

Thats a tough one as lots of the entry levels from serious manufacturers start at the £50 price point, however...

If ok with closed back, these are the cheapest of the 'serious' headphone manufacturers around, and the reviews are good especially given the price point.

http://www.whathifi.com/sennheiser/hd-201/review

Can be bought for £18 from pc world, as they are closed back so will give some passive isolation too.

There is also the Sony MDR-ZX310, in that price bracket but they are on ears and not as good.

I ended up cancelling the order as I wanted over ears originally. Didn't see the point in going for the on ears.

The over ears are on Amazon Spain for £260, but only in the Ivory colour.

Will wait till the black ones are a similar price as don't want to worry about getting them dirty.

Thats prob the smart thing to do the over ares are all leather, comfortable and look great. I didnt want to say it but the overs have a better sound stage and detailing, waiting is prob the correct decision if the price difference is not huge.

• Upvote 1

Too late to edit, the m2 on vs overs debate also have the sound sigs as different. With the on ears ment to have a more V shaped sig so more bass, I think the m2 overs is tuned a little more to an audiophile preferance, which looks to be what you are after, judging by the choices.

This was another reason I didnt really try them out as I prefer the frequencies u shaped or balanced.

@Cloggypop - I enjoy headphones because a set of speakers with the same quality as a £1k set of headphones would need huge sums of cash and have to consider room acoustics to sound thier best. Alot of people think I am a bit nuts spending what I do on my high end set but most music lovers who have listed to my iems/headphones have asked about upgrading theirs; maybe not to the sane extent but upgrading none the less.

Cheers for replying. Would those be a marked improvement on the standard apple earphones that come with the iPhone?

The standard ones that come have become better over the years but switch them out for well made after market stuff then you usually have a better experience.

Comparing ear buds and full size cans is a bit apples and oranges but if you are open to trying some in ears check out these guys.

https://trinity-audio-engineering.myshopify.com

They have 2 sets that will be on budget witg a 20% discount code the Phantom Vyrus 2 and the original Hyperions. (HEADFIMEMBERS01)

I have a set if vyrus v1 and a hyperion as sometimes I want something Im not too worried about losing or damaging. The Vyrus is stupidly good bargain for money and are my fave budget iems as you have aload of filters for tuning etc.

• Upvote 2

For over ear

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Monoprice-Premium-Hi-Fi-Style-Headphone/dp/B007SP2CO2

And in ear

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Monoprice-Enhanced-Hi-Fi-Isolating-Earphone/dp/B00B8QCMHY

I was in a similar position a while ago, wanting as good a sound as possible but without spending too much money.

After a lot of research, these sounded like the pound for pound champions, they have almost universal positive reviews and the price is decent, if you can get past the brand name then these are fantastic, I've had mine for years and I'm extremely happy with them.

I think I might have found something written once saying that quite a few of a certain brand of headphones out there are just monoprice but rebadged and twice the price, I can't remember the brand though.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Read some of the reviews and ended up getting some of these for £34.

The 202s are the ones marketed as DJ set which means you should have more of a fun sound than the 201 with lots if bass, they look a bit more to date also. Anyway hope you enjoy them.