You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Assuming we were Arsenal fans...

Kevin D

Well, fam?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. ...

Reading that above it looks to me like he will be gone. He's having a go at the fans who criticized him. When the manager does that, the end is near.

I also read it like he's giving the board permission to let him go. The whole complaint about making decisions, not because they are necessarily right, but because they are popular.

Ideally (for Arsenal) he wins the FA Cup today and goes out on a relatively high note and they have a bit of a reset this summer. Mind you, if they do that there's no guarantee that a new man will be better than even a sub par Wenger.

If he ends up staying, it's going to be toxic and then some. Large segments of the fan base are against him. They have planes flying overhead every other week. And he seems to be getting his own digs in at the fans.

Is there anyone on the board who is a leader, and can rise above it all, and bring this to a dignified conclusion? Perhaps not. Perhaps after all these years that was Wenger's last gift to give to Arsenal, and he kept on going like the proud boxer who wanted one more fight.

He has already agreed a two year contract, he won't be leaving. 

He has already agreed a two year contract, he won't be leaving.

If that's the case then his interview comments are very unwise.

If he's staying on he needs to have a softer heart with the fans - "I can understand the frustration, etc." rather than "the disrespect is a disgrace."

My understanding was his future was to be decided in a board meeting after the final (Monday) and the two year thing was not settled yet. Further, I thought the Arsenal board was divided over what to do - some want him to stay, others want him to go, and some want him to stay but on different terms I.e. With a sporting director or something like that.

From a Liverpool perspective if he stays that's good, as the atmosphere at the club will be even more toxic, and that will undermine their prospects.

If I was an Arsenal fan, I'd be looking at clubs and companies that have had a single guy in charge for over 20 years, what happened when they left and would be very worried about Wenger leaving immediately. Two years sounds about right to organise a steady and stable transition to a new manager. I suspect that the Director of Football agreement is part of that process and Wenger knows what is expected of him as he gradually hands over.

However if I was really an Arsenal fan, I wouldn't have the brains to understand the above and instead would just be saying 'blud' and 'fam' at every opportunity

I can see him going all in on this 3-4-3 system he's stumbled upon if he stays. Especially if they get a result today. He's never really been one for tactics so it might blow up in his face, he's just cargo culted Arsenal into adopting it and it's not really been thought through.

If he ends up staying, it's going to be toxic and then some. Large segments of the fan base are against him. They have planes flying overhead every other week. And he seems to be getting his own digs in at the fans.

Sums it up.

At this point it doesn't matter if he's the right manager for the club next season or not.  It could be that whoever they bring in would do marginally worse than Wenger for a couple of seasons before getting it on track, but at least they would have some hope that it might improve.

Their stadium is going to be hilarious next season.  Banners, Wenger Out chants, pro-Wenger fans fighting with anti-Wenger fans, it will be an absolutely toxic mess.  How he can't see that is beyond me.  Or maybe he does see it and just doesn't care.

It's unbelievable that he has let it come to this.  The absolute scenes when they begin the season with Ozil as their only real class player (and they only manage to resign him by giving him £350k/week) with Sanchez off to PSG or Bayern or somewhere.  It's going to be pure chaos.

I'm actually a fan of Wenger. He seems like a reasonable guy and he's tried to lead Arsenal in a sensible and sustainable way, but he's definitely become very complacent. Can't help but feel a little bad about the treatment he's getting though. 

I'm actually a fan of Wenger. He seems like a reasonable guy and he's tried to lead Arsenal in a sensible and sustainable way, but he's definitely become very complacent. Can't help but feel a little bad about the treatment he's getting though. 

He's got a relatively easy ride, Benitez and Houllier got far worse.

Sums it up.

At this point it doesn't matter if he's the right manager for the club next season or not.  It could be that whoever they bring in would do marginally worse than Wenger for a couple of seasons before getting it on track, but at least they would have some hope that it might improve.

Their stadium is going to be hilarious next season.  Banners, Wenger Out chants, pro-Wenger fans fighting with anti-Wenger fans, it will be an absolutely toxic mess.  How he can't see that is beyond me.  Or maybe he does see it and just doesn't care.

It's unbelievable that he has let it come to this.  The absolute scenes when they begin the season with Ozil as their only real class player (and they only manage to resign him by giving him £350k/week) with Sanchez off to PSG or Bayern or somewhere.  It's going to be pure chaos.

• Upvote 1

It's wrong of Arsenal fans to have behaved the way they have towards him. He's been one of the most important people in their club's history.

If i was an Arsenal fan,i would like him to leave with dignity and i would want change. However,he has earned the right to leave when he likes,given what he has done.

As much as he can piss me off and i do think he is past it as a manager,i was happy they won today. Not just because i hate chelsea but because it would be a good way for a great football manager to bow out.

• Upvote 1

It's wrong of Arsenal fans to have behaved the way they have towards him. He's been one of the most important people in their club's history.

If i was an Arsenal fan,i would like him to leave with dignity and i would want change. However,he has earned the right to leave when he likes,given what he has done.

As much as he can piss me off and i do think he is past it as a manager,i was happy they won today. Not just because i hate chelsea but because it would be a good way for a great football manager to bow out.

Is there a classy way to get rid of a manager?

If Wenger was our manager and we felt very strongly that it was in our clubs best interest for him to leave, how would we register our disappointment without being arseholes?

If it was nailed on he was staying, why didn't he say so? The speculation that has existed for months has undermined him and the Club for no obvious reason. If he was going he couldnt really say so without vultures circling around key assets which gives me the impression he must be offski.

If not, it has been a very strange way to behave