You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Assuming we were Arsenal fans...

Kevin D

Well, fam?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. ...

Would you want Wenger to stay?

Pros:

Best manager in the clubs history.

Always in the top 4

Pretty good football.

Revolutionised the club

Watching him square up to other managers is always a good laugh

Cons:

Bottlers.

Constantly making the same mistakes year after year.

Inflexible

No spine.

Not won the title in 12 years.

No European record.

What do you reckon?

No Vieira to tackle the shit out of everyone, no titles. 

Replace Vieira with a DM with a brain and not a swiss grannyshagger, and all the others bought for that position, would have ended up in lots of titles.

I understand many of their frustrations, but they should at least be happy that they are playing good football, but I'd have wanted him sacked aswell a few years ago, when it came apparent that he would never try to replace him with a player of the same type.

I still think a big limitation is the sustainable model they're following plus an owner who is content for top four finishes and to keep raking it in.

Ultimately their finances are a step ahead of us but can they really financially compete with Chelsea or the two Manchester clubs? Looks like they're squeezing pretty much everything they can out of the club e.g. ticket pricing etc.

If they got rid of Wenger they might end up with a manager who seriously wanted to spend.

• Upvote 1

It's a tough one. I doubt Arsenal could find a better manager to be honest. And without the money that City, Chelsea and United have, I don't know how they (or any other team) is going to compete with that lot regardless of who the manager is. But given how toxic their fanbase is becoming (some of the comments from Arsenal fans about Wenger have been disgraceful), I would probably ask Wenger to leave at the end of the season. The owners won't do that since Wenger is hitting their target every season. Champions league qualification, nothing less, and anything more is a bonus.  

I still think a big limitation is the sustainable model they're following plus an owner who is content for top four finishes and to keep raking it in.

Ultimately their finances are a step ahead of us but can they really financially compete with Chelsea or the two Manchester clubs? 

Chelsea and Man City are just cases of financial doping; no-one can compete with them.

I would probably want him gone. But with dignity. Job on the board, big fanfare, and lots of honor. He has been very good and Year after year they have qualified for the champions league. OK, the trophies have slowed down lately, but let's not forget that back in the day they fought Man Utd but since then two oil clubs have emerged as well.

It's all about where you start. If Liverpool qualified for the Champions League every year for the next decade that would be a big improvement. But then once we did that, year in year out, we'd want more. We wouldn't be very impressed with finishing top four and winning an occasional cup. We would want to kick on and win the title and the Champions League. That's where Arsenal are at right now.

Whether or not they will be better or worse when Wenger departs remains to be seen. I'd say be careful what you wish for. Man City and Chelsea will be up there. Man Utd look like they are getting their act together. Spurs have been very good for a few years. And we have shown signs of starting to get our act together, although currently we are in a slump.

It's far from a foregone conclusion that Arsenal will remain int he top four. Still, after years of achieving that, I can understand the desire to change the manager.

The other side of it is Wenger's. At some point he won't want the day in day out hassle of it all either.

Listen fam, there's a lot of talk in the ends about getting rid of the manager but that's a mad ting fam. Bare mans be chatting booboo. They don't give a fuck fam. They're not from the ends fam. They don't know what all dis is about fam. Them mans be pagans. They vexed about everything, not just the football fam. I'm gassed about our manager fam. So gassed. You feel me? He's the right man for the job fam. Just have a little patience. He's gonna prove all you mandem wrong. Just have a zoot and chill out yeah? We in safe hands fam.

• Upvote 1