You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2017 Transfer Thread

Anubis

You'd honestly want to pay £40m for an 18 year old goal keeper?

A keeper who's played more games for Milan at 18 than Paolo Maldini had. A keeper who's probably going to play for the best part of 15 years, a keeper who's Italy's number 1 in waiting behind buffon.

That 18 year old keeper you mean? Yeah, I would.

That Milan lad has made mistake after mistake in the few games ive watched him

Also no more Italians

Or Ukrainians

Dont know what Milan games you've been watching but he hasnt. Facing a pen now which Sasulo have now missed. Went the right way though.

I saw a couple early in the season and he was shite.

Dont watch them much though

StillItalians on the whole dont travel all that well so no thanks

Ive watched nearly all Milan's games shown on BT Sport. He hasnt made one culpable mistake that lead to a goal unlike both of our keepers.

He's been more than solid during the Serie A games and considering he's just turned 18, that's some testament. If he'd been making mistake after mistake he'd be dropped. Milan arent going to play a keeper like that. Even we dropped Karius for less.

Buffon's a shit judge of character as well but hey whatever.

Kasper Schmeichel, Joe Hart, Jens Lehmann,Tim Flowers. Not a worldie in the bunch and all have been part of title winning teams. I want a world class player in every position but I don't think it's a top priority in a Jurgen Klopp team and I certainly don't think blowing a large portion of our budget on an 18 year old in that position would be the wisest decision. Not until the Chinese come calling at least.

A keeper who's played more games for Milan at 18 than Paolo Maldini had. A keeper who's probably going to play for the best part of 15 years, a keeper who's Italy's number 1 in waiting behind buffon.

That 18 year old keeper you mean? Yeah, I would.

Yea that's the 18 year old keeper I meant, that's a crazy amount even for an experienced keeper. De Gea probably won't go for that much or Neuer if he were to ever leave Bayern. That's insane for that amount of money when you could get a very capable keeper for half that and add the rest on to a top class centre back.

Yea that's the 18 year old keeper I meant, that's a crazy amount even for an experienced keeper. De Gea probably won't go for that much or Neuer if he were to ever leave Bayern. That's insane for that amount of money when you could get a very capable keeper for half that and add the rest on to a top class centre back.

In this day and age De Gea and Neuer would be well over fifty million. Unless their contracts were very short.

Doesnt matter about this lad. We wont be signing any highly sought after players under FSG.

We're not going to be in with a sniff (or desire) to buy de gea or neuer.

Point being you'd have passed up the chance to sign de gea at 18 in similar circumstances?

The point being £40m will be peanuts over the course of a 15 year career.

I get far too many people dont want to pay top money for a keeper who'll be capable of saving 10 to 15 points a season. They'd rather whinge why didnt we sign de gea, neuer or lloris instead.

Leicester city sold England's World Cup winning goalkeeper to play a 16 year old lad in goal instead. That lad was Peter Shilton.

We're not going to be in with a sniff (or desire) to buy de gea or neuer.

Point being you'd have passed up the chance to sign de gea at 18 in similar circumstances?

The point being £40m will be peanuts over the course of a 15 year career.

I get far too many people dont want to pay top money for a keeper who'll be capable of saving 10 to 15 points a season. They'd rather whinge why didnt we sign de gea, neuer or lloris instead.

Leicester city sold England's World Cup winning goalkeeper to play a 16 year old lad in goal instead. That lad was Peter Shilton.

It's easy to say that I have passed up signing De Gea at 18 but there's no certainties especially with keepers what they will turn out like, I know he's no where near the same class but look at Kirkland, he could and maybe should have been amazing but injuries fucked him up. I wouldn't be surprised to see Donnarumma develop muscle and probably back troubles as he gets older because being 6"5 at 17 is massive and puts major strain on your whole skeletal system plus he still has potential to grow.

It's easy to say that I have passed up signing De Gea at 18 but there's no certainties especially with keepers what they will turn out like, I know he's no where near the same class but look at Kirkland, he could and maybe should have been amazing but injuries fucked him up. I wouldn't be surprised to see Donnarumma develop muscle and probably back troubles as he gets older because being 6"5 at 17 is massive and puts major strain on your whole skeletal system plus he still has potential to grow.

So you're saying a lad who's just turned 18 year old, has played more games for Milan than Paolo Maldini at the same age is unlikely to be an outstanding player? A keeper Buffon rates highly and considers his replacement in waiting for the National side is unlikely to be an outstanding talent?

There are no certainties but how many indicators do you need to say hang on a minute, this lad is something special?

The point is, £40m is a lot of money for an 18 year old. But as a keeper, he can expect to play until he's anywhere between 32 and maybe even 38. £40m isnt a lot in those terms.

Sorry but the Kirkland comparison doesnt stack up on any level.

Donnaruma isnt going to save us (or Milan!) 10 to 15 points a season. Yet. But he's very unlikely to cost us points like our recent incumbents have.

People can say he's made mistakes every game they've watched him. I really dont know what games they have watched. Yeah he gave away a pen a couple of games ago when the striker went down under a challenge. I dont think people would call that a mistake and instead, think about mistakes like mignolet dropping a cross or karius being static on a free kick.

People can say he doesnt have much to do in the Milan side (they're not shit but they're not that great right now) but then say we need a keeper to make the match winning saves when he's had nowt to do all game. Well here's a lad like that.

People can say they dont rate him, dont want him or want other areas of the team strengthening first. That's up to them. I think the lad is going to be a player lots will say in 5 years, why didnt we try and sign him 5 years ago.

I dont think we'll sign him because of the size of the fee being talked about (which may even be ever so inflated). Instead, we'd rather pay £8m for the likes of mignolet and £4.5m for the likes of karius then whinge like fuck when they dont make the saves and cost us points.

You pays your money and takes your choice.

We had a £70m transfer surplus from the summer didnt we? What the fuck are some on 'where's the money coming from?'

As I said, I dont think we'll be signing him in fact Im bloody certain we wont be. We'd rather spend £8m on a shite keeper from a perennial relegation club and pin our hopes on a new DM or CB is going to stop us conceeding shit goals.

be great if we were a club who were spending that kind of money, jimmy.....but we aren't - unless you haven't noticed we haven't spent a penny net in the last 3 windows...if you think we are suddenly gonna spend the most money we have ever spent on a player who is a teenage keeper as well as sort out the unbalanced, severely lacking in depth squad we have then you are probably half expecting to go down the ale house next friday and pull kelly brook and have her lick your willy before cooking your breakfast and doing the cleaning and ironing on saturday morning before she goes home.

What is the world record fee paid for a keeper to date? Has one ever been sold for as much as 40m?

Let's say we did pay 40m for this kid (i know but lets just pretend) when he wants to fuck off to barcelona or madrid when he is 23 and we wanna sell because there is a profit to be made then we'd be looking at a stupid fee far in excess of any world record for a keeper - it won't happen. If he gets bought for 40m it will be by a club who keep him for pretty much his whole career - we won't do that.