You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2017 Transfer Thread

Anubis

He is better than Hummels and Boateng. And Pepe. Ramos is a cunt. he would be a starter for any team in the world. 

Hummels and Boateng were winning the World Cup when they were the same age as van Dijk. Hummels was already a Bundesliga winner and Boateng a Champions League winner. Hummels moved for 30m less than Southampton are asking for just last summer. 

This is an insane and almost unjustifiable transfer.

Who gives a shit? I would have thought Conte, Pep and Klopp would know a thing or two about the defenders in the Italian, Spanish and German leagues. 

I'm not doubting his talent I'm doubting his position in world football.

He seem's to be getting better the further away people think he is from signing.

He is. Alderweireld is probably his main challenger for that title, and Van Dijk has been even more impressive for Southampton than he had. In fact, I've seen quite a few Southampton fans say he's the best centre-back in their club's history. 

They say that every season. Lovren was the best defender they've ever had, then it was Alderweireld and now it's Van Dijk.

I remember them eulogising Schneiderlin when he moved to the mancs saying that he would prove to be world class, only for him to be anonymous in every game before being unceremoniously dumped. 

• Upvote 1

Read the whole thing you jibbering quim.

Man Utd, a team with a lack of depth and talent at CB, are not signing one of 'the ten best defenders in the world' because they want Michael Keane?

Why are you getting personal?

Bailly is one of the best defenders in the league. Michael Keane is a good player too. He was a United youth player, and they could get him for cheaper due to certain clause apparently. They'd be stupid not to get him.

What is the answer to Cardie's question?

There are superclubs with a lot more resources than us, in Europe? Why don't Real, Juve, Bayern, Barca, PSG et al want a piece of Van Dijk?

I gave him the answer. He prob wouldn't be a regular starter for Real, Juve or Bayern. Don't Barca have financial problems?

What is the answer to Cardie's question?

There are superclubs with a lot more resources than us, in Europe? Why don't Real, Juve, Bayern, Barca, PSG et al want a piece of Van Dijk?

May I rephrase your question? Why have all of Conte, Pep and Klopp made Van Dijk their top centre-back target when you would think they would be more than aware of the defenders in the Italian, German and Spanish leagues?

Hint: Van Dijk is better than any other centre-backs available on the market at the moment. The Italian league for starters has plenty of top quality centre-backs potentially available (De Vrij, Koulibaly, Romagnoli, Manolas, Rudiger, Caldara, Astori, Rugani) but all of them are still short of Van Dijk's level.

"It had been suggested City were front-runners for van Dijk's signature with one report over the weekend stating a deal worth £200,000 a week had already been agreed.

Such talk is premature, and it has now emerged Chelsea remain just as keen on van Dijk and, like Liverpool and City, view him as their top defensive target this summer while preparing their own lucrative offer.

However, the ECHO understands Liverpool are willing to compete with both their rivals by offering van Dijk a similar financial package.

Nevertheless, the Reds still believe money will not be the decisive factor and have been encouraged by the feedback received from van Dijk's representatives."

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-transfer-van-dijk-wages-13136777

May I rephrase your question? Why have all of Conte, Pep and Klopp made Van Dijk their top centre-back target when you would think they would be more than aware of the defenders in the Italian, German and Spanish leagues?

Hint: Van Dijk is better than any other centre-backs available on the market at the moment. The Italian league for starters has plenty of top quality centre-backs potentially available (De Vrij, Koulibaly, Romagnoli, Manolas, Rudiger, Caldara, Astori, Rugani) but all of them are still short of Van Dijk's level.

Because, collectively, Britain has been positively bewitched by this odd notion that Van Dijk is Baresi.

I have honestly never seen anything like it, before.

Let's say that Van Dijk is one of the best CBS in the world. Why don't Real want him?

If we said Coutinho is for sale, would PSG,Bayern and Barca get into a huge bidding war for him? What about if De Gea was for sale? Dele Ali? Lloris?

Because, collectively, Britain has been positively bewitched by this odd notion that Van Dijk is Baresi.

I have honestly never seen anything like it, before.

Let's say that Van Dijk is one of the best CBS in the world. Why don't Real want him?

If we said Coutinho is for sale, would PSG,Bayern and Barca get into a huge bidding war for him? What about if De Gea was for sale? Dele Ali? Lloris?

The current bidding war for Van Dijk is as big a bidding war as I can pretty much remember for a centre-back. I can hardly remember any bidding war when Juve signed Bonucci from Bari, or Atletico signing Godin from Villareal, or Barca signing Pique from the mancs, or Milan signing Thiago Silva from Fluminense, or City signing Kompany and so on. So, the idea that there needs to be a bidding war for a player, nevermind a centre-back, to be considered world class is idiotic, especially as most the big clubs already have quality centre-backs partnership (Hummels-Boateng, Thiago Silva-Marquinhos, Bonucci-Chiellini, Pique-Umtiti, Varane-Ramos) and have more urgent needs elsewhere.

• Upvote 2

He is better than Hummels and Boateng. And Pepe. Ramos is a cunt. he would be a starter for any team in the world.

Jesus, next you'll be telling us Scott Simclair is better than Messi.

VVD would be a very risky signing for any big club. He plays in a defensive team and doesnt look much better than Lovren did there.

Sent from my LG-H340n using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

Jesus, next you'll be telling us Scott Simclair is better than Messi.

VVD would be a very risky signing for any big club. He plays in a defensive team and doesnt look much better than Lovren did there.

Sent from my LG-H340n using Tapatalk

To be fair Lovren was boss before we got him

It's The Southampton Effect. I don't know how they do it but they manage to make average players look superb, especially defenders. This season Oriol Romeu who couldn't get in the match day squad at Chelsea has gone there and looked fantastic. You just know he would revert to type as soon as he left.

He's probably the only 6'4 defender who is faster than Mane.

Mangala was possibly the greatest physical specimen in the league and it didn't matter one bit. Now van Dijk isn't completely slow in the head like Mangala, but physical attributes aren't the most important thing.

Mangala was possibly the greatest physical specimen in the league and it didn't matter one bit. Now van Dijk isn't completely slow in the head like Mangala, but physical attributes aren't the most important thing.

Never said it was. But it's a handy trait to have.

It's The Southampton Effect. I don't know how they do it but they manage to make average players look superb, especially defenders. This season Oriol Romeu who couldn't get in the match day squad at Chelsea has gone there and looked fantastic. You just know he would revert to type as soon as he left.

Romeu still looks pretty average to be fair. I watched the game against Arsenal and he was diabolical.