You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 2 Swansea 3 (Jan 21 2017)

tlw content

Stark stuff from the editor there, and entirely justified. Everyone's entitled to their opinion regardless of whether they think we were in with a shout of the title or not.

I never did think we were in with a shout and am in the "fourth and a cup will show progress" camp.

Every other team in the top 6 or 7 have at least one top class striker, we don't.

Sturridge is a busted flush, both mentally and physically,

Origi has gone backwards,

Ings has never had the chance to shine, not his fault,

Mane and Firmino are forwards, but not what I would call a striker worth the name. That is, 1 goal in 2 games average and not taking 3 or 4 chances to score a goal.

I know Firmino can do what he did on Saturday, but he doesn't do it enough for me and certainly doesn't seem to want to go in where the boots are flying.

Mane has pace as his biggest asset, but not taking chances.

Jermain Defoe has been scoring for a shit team like Sunderland on scraps, what would he do in our team I wonder?

Don't laugh, he's probably a better option than anything we've got as a striker at this point!

We, fundamentally, haven't improved our defence in 10 years. There have been plenty of players in and out of defensive positions, but have we had a better centre back than Sami Hyppia or Jamie Carragher in the last 10 years? No.

Matip might prove to be a great find, or he might spend half his time injured. Jury's out still.

I also think we have to get away from having full backs who's primary function appears to be that they can attack. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

Their primary function is to defend and prevent us conceding, as is the centre backs, as is the goalkeeper,

3 shots on target Mignolet had to deal with on Saturday, 3 goals scored. Title winning teams have goalkeepers who actually make a fucking difference in that, with their save, they turn defeats into draws, or draws into wins. hate to say it but Schmeichel got united between 8 and 10 points a season with his save, regularly.

Tirle winning teams also don't play 2 or even 3 defensive midfielders at home. One in front of the back four should be more than enough, leaving the other two to attack with the forwards and world class striker, y'know, like Arsenal, or Chelsea, or . . . you get the point.

No, we were deficient from the start of this season, hence my belief that top four and a cup would show progress, and it has to be top four to even stat to attract the type of players we're going to need to go the extra step and win the title.

Our record against the "better" teams is because, mainly, they play into our hands and attack us, unless you're manchester united at Anfield, where you just shit your pants and park the bus. But that game should've sounded alarms. Teams have started doing that to us, and are having success, because we don't seem to have a plan B and they know, pretty much, that when they attack us, they'll likely score.

SO what is the answer to our ills? Pointless me pointing out my perceived problem areas without offering something as an alternative.

Well, if we stop conceding, we'll stop losing, and if that compromises our attacking options somewhat, so be it. No team has ever won the league without being able to defend first and, negative as that sounds, its where I believe we have to start. We've tried the all out gung-ho attack with both Rogers and Klopp and it doesn't appear to work. Although I really do hope Klopp can do something because I happen to like him a lot.

Rafa had the next closest go at winning the thing with the team that had Reina, Gerrard, Hyppia, Carragher, Mascherano, Alonso and Torres. Now that team could defend, and we had a top class striker as well, and I thought that was going to be the team that broke our duck.

Circumstances contrived to break the team up and that was that.

So, sort out our defence, try and get a striker in worth the name, and see how that goes.

Until then, top four and a cup will have to do.

• Upvote 1

I think that Klopp's defensive setup has been fine as we generally don't give up many chances. I'm much more worried that he genuinely rates the likes of Lovren and Klavan because those two have been destructive this season and their individual errors are killing us. 

ive go no problems giving up chances as long as we deal with them but when they have three shots on target and score all three like this feed of shite then somethings wrong.

Mane and Matip just highlights we are are at least two good players short of a proper tilt at the league.

Is anyone else worried that almost 18 months into his tenure we still defend like clowns in Chipperfield circus?

We go on a 'decent' defensive run for a bit were we might only concede 1 per game either side of the odd clean sheet but then we let in 2, 3, or 4 in and it's all laid bare again.

Didn't we break some away record for consecutive clean sheets in rodgers last full season and we still conceded 50 odd in the league?

That kind of shit is still happening and the only way we win games is by scoring more goals than the other team score because they usually get at least one.

You seem to have a good point with your concern about our defence acting like clowns m8.

Here's a look at the previous prem winners goals for and goals against record :

15 /16 LEICESTER CITY GF68 GA36 +32

14/15 CHELSA GF73 GA32 +41

13/14 MAN CITY GF102 GA37 +65

12/13 MAN UTD GF86 GA43 +43

11/12 MAN CITY GF93 GA29 +64

10/11 MAN UTD GF78 GA37 +41

9/10 CHELSEA GF103 GA32 +71

The goals against average for previous champions is 35 and we have conceded 27 at the moment so therein lies our problem. Until we sort our problems at the back and beating shite teams the prem league will remain a pipe dream I'm afraid .

A lot of things I read about Klopp suggested things would go tits up after Christmas, because he trains his teams to come straight out of the blocks but, unlike Germany, we don't have a winter break and so they'd be fucked. We just don't have the size of squad to keep on playing that high a tempo all season without loss of form or injury. 

• Upvote 2

A lot of things I read about Klopp suggested things would go tits up after Christmas, because he trains his teams to come straight out of the blocks but, unlike Germany, we don't have a winter break and so they'd be fucked. We just don't have the size of squad to keep on playing that high a tempo all season without loss of form or injury.

I had similar feelings, I remember a while ago hearing about Rodgers method of having the players peak fitness around the halfway mark, with the plan to be fitter than our opponents after that point.

Seemed to make sense, especially in 13/14, beginning of the season was a lot of ground out 1-0's and a couple of losses and draws thrown in.

January onwards was when we went on the incredible run, losing only one game, and that run almost got us the title.

Food for thought I suppose.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Klopp's system will be fine once he gets a good depth of similar ability players in the squad.

Someone to partner Matip, someone to shield the defence, a keeper, left back, cover for Mane and a new striker. All definitely needed and we have players to sell also who do not fit the criteria for one reason or another. Sakho, Moreno, Mignolet / Karius, Ings etc...

All this fuck the cups off to try and win league lark is bollocks.

How about we just try and win everything we enter.

We played 66 games in 83/84 when we won treble - including 2nd replays in league cup, a replay in the final. Best team played pretty much every game and those lads were out on the ale half the time.

These modern day athletes should be able to do same and with the money we have spent we should have enough of a squad to cope.

Liverpool football exists solely to win trophies and to be a source of pride to its supporters....or at least it used to/is supposed to.

I don't wanna jib the league cup, or the fa cup or europe - i wanna go full tilt at the lot and see where we end up - to suggest we play a weakened side in the league cup semi like jimmycase has done is fucking laughable and is as far from what we are about as you can possibly get.

• Upvote 5

Klopp's system will be fine once he gets a good depth of similar ability players in the squad.

Someone to partner Matip, someone to shield the defence, a keeper, left back, cover for Mane and a new striker. All definitely needed and we have players to sell also who do not fit the criteria for one reason or another. Sakho, Moreno, Mignolet / Karius, Ings etc...

Problem is here we are nearly 3 windows in and the reshaping of the unbalanced, lacking depth squad he inherited has for my money not been moving quickly enough...there seems to be no urgency to fix what needs fixing.

Problem is here we are nearly 3 windows in and the reshaping of the unbalanced, lacking depth squad he inherited has for my money not been moving quickly enough...there seems to be no urgency to fix what needs fixing.

I agree, we don't needs superstars in certain positions just competent players. A solid reliable keeper, centre half and defensive mid. Others can find them.

Apparently Klopp held a squad summit to banish Anfield’s 'negativity':

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/01/23/liverpool-manager-jurgenklopp-holds-squad-summit-banish-anfields/

It was said to have lasted 30 mins, which sadly only accounts for about 2 mins per player.

I could have bollocked individuals for 30 mins each easily.

• Upvote 1

No fucking idea why I'm bothering going tonight either. 

I'm not optimisitic at all. 

Operation opposition to park the bus and us just stroll around for 80 minutes and then start playing properly for 10

Fuck off Liverpool you cunts. 

Honestly, I fucking hate LIverpool more than any team in the whole fucking world right now