You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Southampton (H) League Cup semi final 2nd Leg - no shit puns edition

Oh dear you dont get it do you? Im ever so sorry, I forgot one has to be 100% specific with some people on here so, most of the time Im talking from a purely liverpool perspective.

Let me clarify for you. teams like burnley, bournemouth etc treat games against Liverpool, Manchester United, Arsenal and Chelsea (maybe Spurs as well) as their cup final especially on their own patch.

Most of them will also put far less effort in to away games against each other except when they get to the sharp end of the season.

That's not to say they switch off every other game of the season. It also doesnt mean we should think we can rock up at some of these games just to claim 3 points.

Any team and every team will try and exploit their oppos weakness. That goes for us and not just burnley, bournemouth etc.

I love this place.

Can't see why any club in a relegation scrap would put any more effort into beating us then a team directly above or below them. Doesn't make sense to me. 

I think our performances against "smaller" clubs is more to do with us than them

• Upvote 1

I can see us going out on away goals. You have to go back ten games to find a result where we scored more than one goal and kept a clean sheet at the same time, and in that period we've played two teams in the relegation zone and Plymouth twice.

Hopefully Klopp recognises that Can, Hendo and Wij is a poor combination, just as most feared it'd be before the Swansea game. Drop Lallana back into midfield, stick Firmino centrally and place anyone who can run on the opposite side of Coutinho.

I just don't know anymore.

Yep I feel the same. 

I can see us show up and put in a decent display and get the job done like we did against City for example but also the last few matches have lacked a real tempo and urgency and it could easily be another shite performance. 

The problem is even if we turn up and blitz Southampton on wednesday night I'm just mentally scarred that ill be waiting for us to bottle it in our next match. 

No Coutinho no win. With Mane gone it will certainly mean an ineffective lallana upfront and Can strolling about fixing his hair and Firmino shifted wide to accomadate one of the pathetic forwards.

We'll prob need utd to beat southampton too to make sure 6th gets european football next season

• Downvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke

I've had it in my head all day that this game was tonight with the other semi tomorrow, basically a reverse of the 1st leg ties. I've been looking forward to it all day and only found out that they are playing the second legs on a Wednesday and Thursday, wtf! 

I've had it in my head all day that this game was tonight with the other semi tomorrow, basically a reverse of the 1st leg ties. I've been looking forward to it all day and only found out that they are playing the second legs on a Wednesday and Thursday, wtf! 

Perhaps the Thursday thing is preparing the EFL Cup winners for the coveted prize of Thursday night football in Eastern Europe next season.