You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Steven Gerrard returns home.

jimmycase

That all sounds pretty encouraging. Great that he seems to have his own philosophy and views rather than just giving it the party line. He'll make mistakes along the way, of course, but hopefully he'll learn from them. Great to have him back.

It does?

Frankly, it worries me.  If you're looking for someone to come in to inspire a youngster, communicate some of his natural passion and work ethic, Gerrard is the perfect person for that.  But for day-to-day coaching, I'm honestly very far from convinced.  It's encouraging that Inglethorpe will be there on a daily basis, so I'm sure it's not as if Gerrard is going to have these players in a vacuum, but what he says there is not a good thing to my mind.

There's nothing specific you can point to and say "that's way off" but it's just a general sense of "it's about effort and physicality" rather than "let's develop vision and technique in these lads" which is what we were hearing and seeing earlier.

Honestly, though, all of that pales in comparison to the main reason I don't really like the move of putting him there.  I just really dislike the idea that former players are automatically given credit for a lot of management skills when they have no experience in it.  I think they definitely can help develop lads but I'm not sure there wasn't a better coach already in the youth setup with years of experience who could have done a better job in that position when Beale left.

It does?

Frankly, it worries me. If you're looking for someone to come in to inspire a youngster, communicate some of his natural passion and work ethic, Gerrard is the perfect person for that. But for day-to-day coaching, I'm honestly very far from convinced. It's encouraging that Inglethorpe will be there on a daily basis, so I'm sure it's not as if Gerrard is going to have these players in a vacuum, but what he says there is not a good thing to my mind.

There's nothing specific you can point to and say "that's way off" but it's just a general sense of "it's about effort and physicality" rather than "let's develop vision and technique in these lads" which is what we were hearing and seeing earlier.

Honestly, though, all of that pales in comparison to the main reason I don't really like the move of putting him there. I just really dislike the idea that former players are automatically given credit for a lot of management skills when they have no experience in it. I think they definitely can help develop lads but I'm not sure there wasn't a better coach already in the youth setup with years of experience who could have done a better job in that position when Beale left.

It's relatively low stakes stuff initially and he should command more respect than most in his position.

I'd be hugely concerned if he was brought in to stand around the first team like a spare prick, which isn't the case.

• Upvote 1

It does?

Frankly, it worries me.  If you're looking for someone to come in to inspire a youngster, communicate some of his natural passion and work ethic, Gerrard is the perfect person for that.  But for day-to-day coaching, I'm honestly very far from convinced.  It's encouraging that Inglethorpe will be there on a daily basis, so I'm sure it's not as if Gerrard is going to have these players in a vacuum, but what he says there is not a good thing to my mind.

Honestly, though, all of that pales in comparison to the main reason I don't really like the move of putting him there.  I just really dislike the idea that former players are automatically given credit for a lot of management skills when they have no experience in it.  I think they definitely can help develop lads but I'm not sure there wasn't a better coach already in the youth setup with years of experience who could have done a better job in that position when Beale left.

Agreed. It all sounds very "get stuck in lads" instead of "we'll focus on technique and intelligent play" which is what it should be. 

Willfully ignoring the fact that Stevie had technique and was an intelligent player as well as having physical attributes.

I doubt Stevie's coaching will be centred entirely on "let them know early doors".

He's 100% right in my view.

What is the tiny, almost immeasurable difference between a player who makes the grade and one who doesn't?

It's not "give the contract to the one who can do more keepy-uppies."

Kenny is Scottish and he is an anomaly. Great players usually make shite managers.

Not sure what being Scottish has got to do with it! But, I agree, in the main great players don't normally make great managers

Kenny is Scottish and he is an anomaly. Great players usually make shite managers.

Most football players are thick as pig shit. I think that's where the problem lies, it doesn't translate over well.

Stevie seems reasonably intelligent though, so I can see him having a decent management career if he wants it.

Well Scottish people are known for being tight so he didn't spend much in the transfer window.

And they are also known for being big poopy heads and shite at football except for Kenny and Alan Hansen they were alright, I guess.

Negged on behalf of Nicol and Souness.

I remember David Thompson talking about us playing Arsenal at Anfield once. This was when they had a team of superstars like Vieira, Petit etc.

Thompson went up to Gerrard before the game, being the older player, to reassure him because Gerrard was only a kid at the time. He said "you okay Stevie?" and Gerrard just looked at him and said "we're gonna smash these today". 

Thompson said the way he said it was so matter of fact, like it was an inevitability. Gerrard went out and bossed the game. That's what i think he means when he's talking about toughening the players up. Could you imagine Woodburn, Arnold, Ejaria or Ojo having an attitude like that?

I remember David Thompson talking about us playing Arsenal at Anfield once. This was when they had a team of superstars like Vieira, Petit etc.

Thompson went up to Gerrard before the game, being the older player, to reassure him because Gerrard was only a kid at the time. He said "you okay Stevie?" and Gerrard just looked at him and said "we're gonna smash these today". 

Thompson said the way he said it was so matter of fact, like it was an inevitability. Gerrard went out and bossed the game. That's what i think he means when he's talking about toughening the players up. Could you imagine Woodburn, Arnold, Ejaria or Ojo having an attitude like that?

nor Henderson, Wijnauldum or Can.  In fact when you asked the question Can wouldn't have been paying attention, so he'd be like 'uh - what?'

• Upvote 1

I remember David Thompson talking about us playing Arsenal at Anfield once. This was when they had a team of superstars like Vieira, Petit etc.

The only current player I could imagine having an attitude like that is Milner.

He became a much better player as he got older, but that is still my favourite version of Gerrard.