You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Consistency personified: Why Nathaniel Clyne is a vital part of the Liverpool lineup - by Jason Harris

tlw content

Was made up when we got him. Thought he would hold down that RB spot for a good 5+ years. Unfortunately he hasn't improved and actually looked a bad liability defending most times I saw him last season. Maybe a bit of pressure from TAA will up his game. If not bin him off and make Flanagan captain. 

I've never seen him as a liability. He struggled going forward sometimes but is far from terrible at it. The problems came when we had no width with Mane being out. When all your width has to come from your 2 full backs I think any in the league would struggle. He'd be perfect in the system as it is now.

I think it's mad how much people complain about full backs being shit defensively i.e. Moreno and that first and foremost they should be able to defend. That is basically Clyne. Our attack is unreal at the moment and we want a more solid defence. This guy is the answer. It's a real shame it looks like he's out for a long time. It's perfect timing for Gomez and Trent though who have both showed they are capable.

Clyne would be a very good player in a side who don't rely on the fullbacks for so much of its width. He is a decent, solid defender - reads it well, keeps it simple and is effective.

We of course so often do though - so he becomes bang average. His decision making, final ball, confidence and quality in the attacking side of his game is mostly mediocre and often shite.

Dont think he was too bad attacking when he started, but faded very badly and by the end looked terrified to carry the ball forward more than 5 steps. Only missed 9 league games in the last 3 seasons before this -- strange injury ...

TAA is good going forward --- but potential for much hilarity with him & Moreno away from home.

Klopp indicating his injury keeps him out 'more than a couple of weeks' then in same breath saying he can't see him being fit before new year...

He is not in the Reds' Champions League squad and Klopp says he will be out for the "majority" of group fixtures, which run until December.

"The reality is we are looking at some time before he is back," said Klopp.

"I am told it will be longer than just a couple of weeks, so we will continue to monitor and assess.

"If we are fortunate enough to still be in Uefa competition in the new year he could be added to the squad then."

Klopp always seems a bit vague about injuries - maybe he just isn't that into all that and takes the view of when he gets players able to train he gets them and he leaves all the timescale/what it is stuff to the medical teams.

Seems like some really serious injury without an actual diagnosis (that he mentions anyway) to keep a player out as long as he may be indicating here though.