You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Matip's potential Cameroon call up.

niallers

I know the Cameroon manager is trying to get him to play but it looks like matip doesn't want to. However,isn't there a rule that states if a player is called for international duty, he must attend, even if he's retired or says he doesn't want to play, and if he refuses to go, he'll be banned from club football for the duration of said international period.

Now, let's hope the Cameroon boss doesn't stoop that low but what if it happens? I don't want to think what we'd be like without him for a sustained period.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2746822/Franck-Ribery-serve-three-match-ban-refuses-play-France-says-UEFA-president-Michel-Platini.html

Says in here from 2014 bout when ribery decide to retire. Platini said that it's the international coaches decision on who gets picked and any player selected faces a ban simple he not turn up.

If I were president of FIFA with unlimited power I'd insist that international football should only be played once every 4 years for the World Cup.  

Actually, I'd bin that off as well because it's just a marketing machine for FIFA but there might be too much protest so I'd let them keep that one tournament.   Have, say, a maximum of 6 qualifying games, don't care how you arrange them or pick the teams that qualify but a hard limit of 6 games and then the finals.

Guest Pistonbroke

If I were president of FIFA with unfettered power I'd be shagging loads of beautiful women whilst Ne Moe and Chevs sorted out the menial work. My only stipulation would be that the Mancs, Everton and Chelsea would have to play their club football in the lower leagues of Kyrgyzstan.  

This might be a "but I don't know any Trump voters personally so I don't understand how he was elected" moment but I genuinely don't know anyone who likes international football.

About 98% of the people I've spoken with about it hate it with a passion.  The other 2% don't really care.  Where is the market for these games?  I have a very hard time understanding why we have to pause actual league seasons for meaningless games no one wants to watch every two months!

Guest Pistonbroke

This might be a "but I don't know any Trump voters personally so I don't understand how he was elected" moment but I genuinely don't know anyone who likes international football.

About 98% of the people I've spoken with about it hate it with a passion.  The other 2% don't really care.  Where is the market for these games?  I have a very hard time understanding why we have to pause actual league seasons for meaningless games no one wants to watch every two months!

I'm in the middle, I used to enjoy the main competitions but they are being bloated for TV revenue and the qualifying is never ending with meaningless friendlies thrown in for good measure. 

They need to overhaul the whole thing and have Pre-qualifying groups like the CL/EL before having smaller qualifying groups to decide who makes the finals. The finals should only be a last 32/16 affair with straight knock out competition over a period of 2-3 weeks. International friendlies should be binned off apart from the two summers when there isn't any International competitions. All players should be given a rest period once a year with a forced winter break probably the best outcome.