You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Fucker is selling like crazy.

Personally, I'll probably get one as I lost interest in a lot of gaming when they started going to 6 or 8 buttons on the controller. Just don't have the manual dexterity for that shit.

Interesting idea, but I wonder if they are missing a trick by restricting it to the 30 preloaded games.

• Upvote 1

It's fantastic, well, other than the short controller cords. Hopefully the fact it's proving popular will mean we'll get a Mini SNES too at some point.

Nintendo fucked up the release though.

With Nintendo you just never know if it's going to be a rip-roaring success (all the original systems were immense but Wii U failed miserably) but they always release their systems with nowhere near enough to supply demand. They did it with the 3DS and the original Wii and the demand for stock meant it sold by the bucket load once stock was available.

They are very clever with their releases but they certainly get through a lot of systems.

With Nintendo you just never know if it's going to be a rip-roaring success (all the original systems were immense but Wii U failed miserably) but they always release their systems with nowhere near enough to supply demand. They did it with the 3DS and the original Wii and the demand for stock meant it sold by the bucket load once stock was available.

They are very clever with their releases but they certainly get through a lot of systems.

The funny thing is, if anything, the Wii U was an exception. They overproduced initially at a higher price point (a strong yen, custom components), and struggled to clear the backlog, leaving them without the ability to cut the price or reduce production costs with a revised model.

The forecasts for the Switch will probably be conservative, and I can't blame them for not foreseeing that the NES Mini would sell like hotcakes, there have been similar products for other consoles that've hardly set the world alight; no one was queueing up for the Neo Geo X or a plug in Mega Drive pad.

• Upvote 1

That's fair enough, shame they don't look to be adding any additional content although it's a decent line up of games.

I think it's possibly a test product and they may produce another or, as most hope, a Super Nintendo. I understand why there's no expandable slot because most people would use it to download ROMs.

• Upvote 1

The funny thing is, if anything, the Wii U was an exception. They overproduced initially at a higher price point (a strong yen, custom components), and struggled to clear the backlog, leaving them without the ability to cut the price or reduce production costs with a revised model.

The forecasts for the Switch will probably be conservative, and I can't blame them for not foreseeing that the NES Mini would sell like hotcakes, there have been similar products for other consoles that've hardly set the world alight; no one was queueing up for the Neo Geo X or a plug in Mega Drive pad.

If the Switch is priced at £200/£250 (dependent on hard drive) then I think it'll sell by the boatload.

• Upvote 1

If the Switch is priced at £200/£250 (dependent on hard drive) then I think it'll sell by the boatload.

They'll sell but I'm sure i've read somewhere that they are intentionally limiting production early on so it'll be a pain to get hold of.

I wanna know how much the screen will be on its own.

• Upvote 1

They'll sell but I'm sure i've read somewhere that they are intentionally limiting production early on so it'll be a pain to get hold of.

I wanna know how much the screen will be on its own.

Well fuck.

Quick google search suggests that the dock will be little more than a charging unit/display output (no additional gpu grunt).

So any plans to have a second screen means stumping up another 200/250 untill they bring out a portable only version at a minimally discounted cost.

Feels arse about face for a system they're pitching primarily as a home console.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, the current rumour of £199 and £249 with a game seems spot on. After the Wii U I'm less inclined to jump in day one, but at that price it becomes tough to pass up, particularly if it has a 3D Mario at launch.

Well fuck.

Quick google search suggests that the dock will be little more than a charging unit/display output (no additional gpu grunt).

So any plans to have a second screen means stumping up another 200/250 untill they bring out a portable only version at a minimally discounted cost.

Feels arse about face for a system they're pitching primarily as a home console.

They're being pretty coy about how it's pitched; the line about "home console" in the West wasn't translated as such in Japan, where they're more interested in pushing the portable aspect.

It seems they're consolidating both home console and portable into one, but leaning heavily on the latter whilst pretending that it isn't a slow retreat from dedicated home consoles. You'll likely get better resolution when it's docked, but other than that it's a handheld with a fancy TV out.

• Upvote 1

How short are these controller leads. Thats a huge put off for me

A measly 30 inches. I haven't seen any extension cables for sale in the UK yet, so you either have to sit up close to a small screen or amid long HDMI and USB cables.

I've set mine up on a bureau with a little flat screen TV, but even then I have to unfurl cables and have the console in my lap. On the plus side, I don't have to get up to hit the reset button to save and change games.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1