You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Nintendo Switch

Scott_M

To be fair, it wasn't really an advert, more a proof of concept trailer to get people acclimatised to the new hybrid form factor.

Beyond the look of the device, I'd be taking everything else with a pinch of salt, including the instant switch from TV to handheld and the fidelity of any games shown. I just hope that the 3D Mario footage actually represents something coming soon, rather than the tech demo of Zelda shown on the Wii U all those years ago.

• 1 month later...

Reports that the Switch will lose 60% of it's GPU power when undocked (under clocked when not plugged in to hit battery life targets rather than the dock carrying any power itself).

If true then it's making similar mistakes to those made with the Wii and Wii U making it harder for game developers.

Reports that the Switch will lose 60% of it's GPU power when undocked (under clocked when not plugged in to hit battery life targets rather than the dock carrying any power itself).

If true then it's making similar mistakes to those made with the Wii and Wii U making it harder for game developers.

I have a feeling that Nintendo are trying to make two consoles in one - it's possible they are looking at something like playing 3DS games, which do not require processing power on the portable console and it's own games when it's docked.

If not it's hard to see how that would work.

If it hits £199 then I'm not really bothered. I'll be treating this as a powerful handheld that benefits from a unified library of games.

My main concern right now is how comfortable it is to use. It looks a bit awkward, what with the buttons being directly above the right stick; usually an asymmetrical layout has them off centre. I've a feeling this could be a bit of a hand cramp bastard to use for prolonged sessions.

So what does that mean? My understanding is:

It's not as powerful as an Xbox One, but seeing Nintendo hasn't been the most powerful machine on the market since the N64, that's no surprise.

So the graphics won't be as good as other and the games won't be as big as on other consoles consoles (same point re the N64 stands).

It might play in 1080hp when docked but will definitely play in 720hp when un-docked.

Will games take longer to load when un-docked?

Being honest, I'm not bothered if it can't make games as big or graphics as good as other consoles, I'd be made up with a portable Wii with games the quality of Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart and a decent football game.

In some ways I miss the old games like Mario Cart etc. that aren't as big or so time consuming as these new games that you get nowadays.

Yeah, that's sort of the point I was making. I had a PS3 with GTA and some other games and I just couldn't be arsed with it. I didn't like FIFA and it was when PES went shite so I binned it. Worst £300 I've ever spent.

I think being able to take upgraded Wii versions of full 3D Mario Galaxy, Zelda, Mario Kart etc games sounds a great idea. Although the Wii wand's were somewhat gimmicky, you can't forget the games I mentioned earlier were genuinely great.

The way they all link sounds good as well. You only need 1 game for 2 tablets to hook to. 

I want a game I can pick up for 30 mins every now and then, which are fun to play, and then just leave them again. Maybe if GTA or something wasn't so vast I'd be more willing to give it a go, but the current PS4 or XBOX incarnations leave me cold.

I don't think you'll be able to play 1 game across two console (and even so it's barely a saving worth making considering you'll have stumped up £450 to make that happen). 

I think it's also been confirmed that 3ds/Wii games won't be compatible, which is baffling (assuming they don't make them digital only, although for many that will involve buying them twice).

• 2 weeks later...

Seen a story today that GameCube games will be on the Virtual Console for release.

That'd be pretty good, the Cube was underrated, it had some good games. The cell shade version of Zelda & that MARIO Sunshine wasn't up there with MARIO 64 (or latterly Galaxy) killed it.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-switch-release-date-and-price-leaked-poss/1100-6446696/

UK retailer GameSeek has listed Nintendo's new Switch console for a March 17 release, as well as stating a price of £198.50 (around USD $245).

It's important to note that both pieces of information could simply be placeholders--GameSeek does use temporary dates for games with unconfirmed release schedules, though Nintendo has previously said the Switch will launch in March. GameSeek does offer a preorder price guarantee, however, so if the console's final price is higher you'd still pay £198.50.

The potential leak comes just days ahead of the Switch's January 12 / 13 reveal livestreamNintendo recently re-registered a trademark for its acclaimed 2002 horror title Eternal Darkness, fuelling rumors of a re-release.

The platform is rumored to be getting a third version of Pokemon Sun and Moon, as well as a new 3D Mario and a port of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.

Nintendo first unveiled the Switch in October, before teasing that more details would be revealed soonWe may officially find out the system's price tag and full specs, as well as a release date.

Looks like you're paying over £300 at Launch if you want to buy the unit and what seems like the only launch title they have in Zelda (confirmed price in the UK £280 here plus a game) which is a ridiculous price.

Very little in the way of day 1 games with the exception of Zelda, Skyrim will be coming but it's going to be the original 5 year old version not the new special edition. Mario, Splatoon 2 and Pokemon Stars coming sometime in 2017. Some of the games will be Wii U ports. Games priced at $40-$60 in the US so will be similar in the UK.

Subscription based online play.

Battery Life will range from 2 and a half to 6 hours.

New Dock is $90 dollars US, spare left and right controller sets are $80 but given the size of them you're probably going to want the Switch Pro Controller (for 'normal' gaming) which will set you back $70, if you do get a separate JoyCon contoller you'll have to pay another $30 to get the central part that that connects them.

Not the best launch announcement in the world, very little on specs (though more is trickling out) Launch titles were underwhelming, lots of promises at what might come, very little on AAA third party stuff other than some concept art, FIFA and a 5 year old PC Port. Though there will be another presentation tomorrow so we might see more detail on games.

Didn't realise Zelda was the only launch title, I thought MARIO & Mario Kart were going to be available.

Oh well, I'm sure the NES, SNES, N64 & Cube downloadable content will be good to keep me occupied.

Telling the wife we need a new TV to play it on, at least 65".

Didn't realise Zelda was the only launch title, I thought MARIO & Mario Kart were going to be available.

Oh well, I'm sure the NES, SNES, N64 & Cube downloadable content will be good to keep me occupied.

Telling the wife we need a new TV to play it on, at least 65".

Zelda is the big title then it's a bunch of shovelware games related to the motion controllers (like they did with the Wii) and a few others that might interest people especially if you like JRPG stuff.

Mario is pencilled in for a vague 'Holidays 2017' so it wouldn't be a suprise to see that slip to Q1 2018 and Mario Kart is a port of the existing Wii U Mario Kart game.

I was tempted to pre-order one purely because of Nintendo's habit of manufacturing scarcity but with an underwhelming launch line up and no firm info on what big titles will be released and when im happy to sit out the initial rush.

Zelda is the big title then it's a bunch of shovelware games related to the motion controllers (like they did with the Wii) and a few others that might interest people especially if you like JRPG stuff.

Mario is pencilled in for a vague 'Holidays 2017' so it wouldn't be a suprise to see that slip to Q1 2018 and Mario Kart is a port of the existing Wii U Mario Kart game.

I was tempted to pre-order one purely because of Nintendo's habit of manufacturing scarcity but with an underwhelming launch line up and no firm info on what big titles will be released and when im happy to sit out the initial rush.

I'll probably get Zelda.

MARIO will definitely be 2017 & I've never played MARIO Kart on the Wii-U so it's a new game to me.

FIFA will be out by the end of the year too.

Not as much as I was expecting / hoping at launch but I'm still pretty excited by it.