You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 5 Hull City 1 (Sep 24 2016)

tlw content

hullreport1.jpg

It’s still early days and we need to show we can do this consistently, but honestly, this team can look scarily good at times. It’s still wise to brace yourself for the inevitable letdown game that always seems to be around the corner, but even allowing for that it’s hard not to be a little bit excited by what we’re being treated to at the moment. 

We’re scoring goals at an unprecedented rate (the most after eight games in 121 years or something), we’re creating the most chances in all of Europe and we’re nicely placed in the table considering the tough run of fixtures we’ve had. Since Klopp arrived, we've scored more goals than anyone, which is quite the achievement given it was the biggest problem when he arrived. It’s more than just numbers though, what we’ve seen (in the two home games especially) can’t be quantified with stats, it’s even more impressive to the naked eye.

Klopp said afterwards it was the best exhibition of “counter pressing” since he’s been here. I’m still not entirely sure of the exact nuances between that and just regular “pressing” but I do know that Hull’s players will probably never play in a more disheartening game than this. It was brutal for them but I don’t really know what they could have done about it. 

Whenever any of their players had the ball he was swarmed upon by two, three sometimes even four of our players. He’d get rid of it to his nearest team-mate who would immediately face the same problem. More often than not he’d just knock it forward where either Henderson or one of the centre backs would collect it and get us on the attack again. It felt like every time they had the ball it was two or three passes and we had it back without even having to make a tackle.

I almost felt sorry for them as we were so good they didn’t stand a chance; even if they’d not had a man sent off they’d have been pummelled. The pressing was relentless, bordering on maniacal at times. How the fuck do you play against that? This is what we were told we were getting when Klopp arrived but so far it’s only been there in spurts. It feels like its becoming more frequent now, but it's not just all this running and pressing that's making us look good, it's what we’re doing when we have the ball too.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the article

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. If you are not currently registered on the site, sign up for free and receive a one month FREE no obligation trial subscription, which gives you access to all the members only content for one month.

Hull got off lightly at 5-1.  That's as professional and ruthless display as I've seen us produce against the so called shite of the league in a long time.  Our players clearly enjoyed dishing that out too, it's been a few seasons since we routinely doled out good thrashings.

Fuck me, what a difference Klopp has made in a year or so. 

• Upvote 1

If we keep playing like this and still with a shout for the league come January are we really gonna release Manè for the upcoming African Cup of Nations?

I mean do we have to as it could be the difference between winning and losing the title once again .

The only game we've lost this season is Burnley (A) and guess who wasn't playing in that one . He is becoming a very important and pivotal player for the Reds this season and it would be very interesting to see him playing out the whole season with us from a selfish perspective to see if he and the squad can deliver title no19 for the fans and the city.

We live in hope .

On your point about Mané being the only one without a like-for-like replacement, there's nothing behind Milner or Clyne, either. If we lose either of them for a significant period of time, I think it weakens us considerably. Milner is the best left back we've had in years and he's not had ten games there yet.

Is it just me or is Wijnaldum quietly turning into one of the most effective MF's in the country...?

Strong, great touch, consistent distribution and always available for the ball. When the goals start to come he'll be the full package.

In the suarez led challenge teams like Hull were often beaten before the teams even came out on the pitch,the way we are playing now is going down the same route...shite teams are going to be terrified of getting walloped and it'll start to show... Early urgency will play on that too and not let them settle..it's gonna be a seriously good season... City are too strong I feel for a title win but 2nd is very achievable... Bit more defensive solidity and you'll never know where we'll end up

In the suarez led challenge teams like Hull were often beaten before the teams even came out on the pitch,the way we are playing now is going down the same route...shite teams are going to be terrified of getting walloped and it'll start to show... Early urgency will play on that too and not let them settle..it's gonna be a seriously good season... City are too strong I feel for a title win but 2nd is very achievable... Bit more defensive solidity and you'll never know where we'll end up

Yeah I remember that. Stoke away was the one that I will remember for ages. You could see the entire Stoke back four shit themselves as soon as Luis got his first touch near their area. Teams need to fear playing us and it's slowly coming. It helps when the opposition talk about how hard the game was and how they were overwhelmed.

That first half was like the 70's and 80's it was just wave after wave of attack . And the thing is you knew there were other gears they could have moved up if they wanted to

In a strange way though I also want us to win 1-0 in a shitty backs to the wall display when we really have to dig in.

City are strong but they are also in 4 competitions, one of which sees them flying all over Europe.

• Upvote 1

There's not much difference between Sturridge's behaviour on Saturday and Balotelli a few seasons back - trying to grab a pen for personal glory, being totally out of sync with the team spirit otherwise displayed in the match.

Sturridge is an outlier in this team and even when he first arrived, there was an egotistical tension with Suarez on his side. He's never a Liverpool player in a million years and we should fuck him off next summer.

As with those other teen sensations - Fowler, Owen, Torrey, Rooney - he will be finished at 28 at the top level anyway.

• Downvote 1