You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cycling

I bike to work two or three times a week weather permitting. Is 15 miles each way, I just leave my stuff in work the day before, the only things I carry are spare tubes and a pump. Been doing this for years on my mountain bike but this year got a carbon road bike and the difference is unreal. I've always poo-pooed the idea of having a road bike but now my mountain bike is consigned to proper off road stuff only now.

• Upvote 1

I bike to work two or three times a week weather permitting. Is 15 miles each way, I just leave my stuff in work the day before, the only things I carry are spare tubes and a pump. Been doing this for years on my mountain bike but this year got a carbon road bike and the difference is unreal. I've always poo-pooed the idea of having a road bike but now my mountain bike is consigned to proper off road stuff only now.

Was your mountain bike rigid or suspension? What kind of weight is the new bike?

I think mines about 10kg, and I'm lead to believe its really just the tires that would slow me down at all.

Was your mountain bike rigid or suspension? What kind of weight is the new bike?

I think mines about 10kg, and I'm lead to believe its really just the tires that would slow me down at all.

I have two mountain bikes; a hard tail and a carbon full suspension. I mostly used the hard tail last year to commute as it was a slog on the full suss! The road bike I have is very light but I'm unsure on the weight, it's carbon so I'm guessing definitely sub 10kg.

I have two mountain bikes; a hard tail and a carbon full suspension. I mostly used the hard tail last year to commute as it was a slog on the full suss! The road bike I have is very light but I'm unsure on the weight, it's carbon so I'm guessing definitely sub 10kg.

Yea the carbon bikes seem to come in anywhere between 5-9kg. How long would your 15 mile commute take you?

Any of you into cycling?

I'm going to start cycling to work (18 miles each way), ideally twice a week. I haven't been on a bike in years but my daughter learned recently so I needed to get one anyway, and we have a cycle to work scheme where I'll only pay about 65% of the bike cost over 12 months (It gets taken out before tax etc so will only affect my pay by about £65 a month).

Also, if I use it to commute just once a week, I'll save £30 a month on bus fares. Seems like an OK incentive to me. Either way I can't lose, if I don't use it, I'll just sell it for near what I bought it for.

I lift weights and stuff but no cardio in years, since I stopped playing 5-a-side, so this is going to be a real challenge.

Here's what I am going for:

https://www.mcconveycycles.com/bikes-/race-tour-cx/specialized-crux-e5-2017.html

I chose cyclocross as it seems to be the best bet for road cycling and a bit of light off-road through the woods etc with my daughter, but I'll not be MTB'ing.

I'd investigate the cycle to work scheme a bit if I were you. Not sure if it's still the same terms but at the end of the term your expected to either pay up the remainder of the cost or give the bike back. I's not something I'd do again. Most bike shops do interest free credit providing your credit rating is good. I'd explore that option too if I were you. You can also get the extras on credit too. Tools, pump, helmet, lights etc.

Why are you looking to get a bike with dropped handle bars ? I wouldn't want to be doing light off road with them. I have a hybrid of the same make and use it for road and light off road. 

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=specialized+crosstrail+comp&rlz=1C1AVNE_enGB678GB678&oq=specialized+crosstrail+co&aqs=chrome.0.0j69i57j0l4.27843j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=specialized+crosstrail+comp&tbm=shop&sgro=om&spd=6261977213028843562

Get yourself a good set of tires. I'd recommend Armadillos. Providing you keep them inflated to the max, they're great. Also, get yourself an upright pump as well as one for the bike. You'll never get the same PSI in the tires with the bike pump. The bike pump is for when you have to change tire/repair a puncture.

As well as the usual kit, get yourself a good set of LED lights and a light high viz top for the winter months. A bit of an added extra is a Cateye so you can see how many miles your cycling.

Oh, and make sure you get yourself a top of the range bike lock. I have two. One at work and one at home.

One other thing. I honestly don't think you'll get back what you paid for the bike if you decide to sell it as once it's in your possession, it's used. 

I'd investigate the cycle to work scheme a bit if I were you. Not sure if it's still the same terms but at the end of the term your expected to either pay up the remainder of the cost or give the bike back. I's not something I'd do again. Most bike shops do interest free credit providing your credit rating is good. I'd explore that option too if I were you. You can also get the extras on credit too. Tools, pump, helmet, lights etc.

Why are you looking to get a bike with dropped handle bars ? I wouldn't want to be doing light off road with them. I have a hybrid of the same make and use it for road and light off road.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=specialized+crosstrail+comp&rlz=1C1AVNE_enGB678GB678&oq=specialized+crosstrail+co&aqs=chrome.0.0j69i57j0l4.27843j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=specialized+crosstrail+comp&tbm=shop&sgro=om&spd=6261977213028843562

Get yourself a good set of tires. I'd recommend Armadillos. Providing you keep them inflated to the max, they're great. Also, get yourself an upright pump as well as one for the bike. You'll never get the same PSI in the tires with the bike pump. The bike pump is for when you have to change tire/repair a puncture.

As well as the usual kit, get yourself a good set of LED lights and a light high viz top for the winter months. A bit of an added extra is a Cateye so you can see how many miles your cycling.

Oh, and make sure you get yourself a top of the range bike lock. I have two. One at work and one at home.

One other thing. I honestly don't think you'll get back what you paid for the bike if you decide to sell it as once it's in your possession, it's used.

The cycle to work scheme has a fee St the end of the year that eliminates savings, but the have 2 other options, one is a nominal fee to extend the hire for 3 years for no more monthly payments, and at the end of that the fee is tiny. A few guys in work have done this.

I'd go with spare tubes rather than a repair kit for commuting. Don't want to be trying to find a puncture on the side of the road. Just whip out the old, throw on the new, pump like a cunt, and away you go. Tubes are nearly disposable items at this stage, so maybe buy a pack of 5 at the start, and don't bother even repairing them.

Buy a saddle bag, throw some tyre levers, a couple of tubes, and some allen keys, and you're away.

Pure first world solution.

I'd love to be brave enough for one of these https://www.evanscycles.com/specialized-fatboy-se-2017-mountain-bike-EV244875

Great bike - I got one of them a few years ago (not mountainised though). Definitely recommend it.

The C02 gas canisters can be handy - very small and will inflate a tyre in seconds (literally 2-4 seconds), but they are for emergencies only. They will keep your tyre inflated for the rest of the day, then pump up normally ('cos C02 will permeate through rubber). If you really want to keep things small, these are a great solution.

They're about the size of a Mars bar, but I'd advise getting one with a fitting you can regulate on / off (otherwise it's a once only deal once you activate one).

BEST-CO2-Inflator-by-PRO-BIKE-TOOL-Relia

Also, the tyre levers - make sure you give them a proper try out - some of the ones you get in kits aren't very good and will bend. Make sure they are good ones, or just by a good set on their own.

You could also consider solid tyres - impossible to puncture and will last 5-10K miles!

Bought, cheers.

Oh man my credit card bill isn't going to be nice.

I'm going to pay £7 (the bus fare) off credit cards for every day I cycle in, to try and motivate me to do it more.

The C02 gas canisters can be handy - very small and will inflate a tyre in seconds (literally 2-4 seconds), but they are for emergencies only. They will keep your tyre inflated for the rest of the day, then pump up normally ('cos C02 will permeate through rubber). If you really want to keep things small, these are a great solution.

They're about the size of a Mars bar, but I'd advise getting one with a fitting you can regulate on / off (otherwise it's a once only deal once you activate one).

BEST-CO2-Inflator-by-PRO-BIKE-TOOL-Relia

Also, the tyre levers - make sure you give them a proper try out - some of the ones you get in kits aren't very good and will bend. Make sure they are good ones, or just by a good set on their own.

You could also consider solid tyres - impossible to puncture and will last 5-10K miles!

That looks cook, but I've got a decent wee pump and its not overly big, and mounts to the frame OK (apparently).

No, I'll add that to the list.

Just did a 15 minute circuit session to test my cardio in anticipation of this bike arriving.

Fuck. Me. Soaked though since about 4 mins in. It'll take a while to build up to the 16.5m commute, each way.

I suppose I could cycle in one day. Then leave the bike in work and cycle home the next, getting the bus in between.

Just did a 15 minute circuit session to test my cardio in anticipation of this bike arriving.

Fuck. Me. Soaked though since about 4 mins in. It'll take a while to build up to the 16.5m commute, each way.

I suppose I could cycle in one day. Then leave the bike in work and cycle home the next, getting the bus in between.

Small steps, man, small steps. It's all good.

It's already been said but going "all or nothing" can really put you off cycling mate. 

Whilst it's an alright marker, doing a circuit session, the real thing is a lot more draining when you've got to consider wind, mental energy to watching cars and carrying a fuck ton of stuff to work.

Keep at it and take it easy, you've got to go through the leg burning part yet! 

Today’s Daily Sport has a front page headline revealing the “kinky secret” of Britain’s Olympic female cyclists.

Apparently they were told not to shave their virginas in order to prevent friction burns and enhance the comfort of a long ride.

From push bikes to bush bikes, sounds like cheating to me.

Guest Pistonbroke

Today’s Daily Sport has a front page headline revealing the “kinky secret” of Britain’s Olympic female cyclists.

Apparently they were told not to shave their virginas in order to prevent friction burns and enhance the comfort of a long ride.

I bet Joanna Rowsell said "What the fuck?!" 

Is that what qualifies as kinky in the Daily Sport?

As if they wouldn't have experimented with such things all their career. Pathetic