You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cycling

Well, you've already shaved off 15 miles a day (wasn't it originally a 35 mile round trip?)

And that's not bad going to be honest. Better than expected for a first run. Eat some decent nutrition, rest, and go again. Your improvements will surprise you.

The rest bit is where I’ll struggle, and doing a days work on top of the cycling.

Nutrition wise - what do you recommend? Carbs and bananas?

Nothing specific, but if you're taxing your body in ways it hasn't been taxed in a while and wanting it to recover, it's more likely to play ball if you feed it what I needs. Just try to eat some balanced meals. Some carbs, proteins, some fruits or veggies etc.

What is the job, btw? Will you be on your feet all day?

I have a desk job and I worked better after cycling in and getting a shower at work. I was wide awake and ready to go. I did have a slump about 2/3pm though.

I've got a 10 year old Claude Butler mountain bike I got for about £300 thanks to a mate who used to work for Sefton Council, some get fit scheme or something.

Can anyone advise whether getting different tyres is worth the hassle? Not too many mountains in my neck of the woods, mostly country lanes and stuff, maybe the odd dirt track.

Don't want to spend out unless it's worth it.

I've got a 10 year old Claude Butler mountain bike I got for about £300 thanks to a mate who used to work for Sefton Council, some get fit scheme or something.

Can anyone advise whether getting different tyres is worth the hassle? Not too many mountains in my neck of the woods, mostly country lanes and stuff, maybe the odd dirt track.

Don't want to spend out unless it's worth it.

What kind of tyres has it got on and what condition are they in ? Aren't mountain bike tyres usually more durable than a road/hybrid bike?

What kind of tyres has it got on and what condition are they in ? Aren't mountain bike tyres usually more durable than a road/hybrid bike?

Not an expert but I assume they're the original mountain bike style.

I've ridden on roads and they seem OK to me but the office where I used to work had a bike nerd who told me the drag must affect my performance.

I've ridden on roads and they seem OK to me but the office where I used to work had a bike nerd who told me the drag must affect my performance.

From memory of my first mountain bike, the tyres were on the chunky side with thick treads and I don't remember getting that many punctures. If your just using it for commuting on roads and bike paths, they should be ok. The ony way you'll find out is by using it. The biggest self help is to keep they tyres at full presure. For this you'll need a floor pump and not a conventional hand pump.

specialized-air-tool-sport-steel-floor-p

From memory of my first mountain bike, the tyres were on the chunky side with thick treads and I don't remember getting that many punctures. If your just using it for commuting on roads and bike paths, they should be ok. The ony way you'll find out is by using it. The biggest self help is to keep they tyres at full presure. For this you'll need a floor pump and not a conventional hand pump.

specialized-air-tool-sport-steel-floor-p

Thanks mate. I'll give it a swerve as I only use it every now and again and one day may actually go on that trip to somewhere mountainous.

I bought myself one of those cigarette lighter compressor pumps for about £10.00. Proper shrewd investment, it inflates car and bike tyres and f***balls too.

Was s/he not referring to the width of the tyres for riding on tarmac?

I used to ride a mountain bike to work (32 mile round trip) and ran it on proper mountain tyres, used to drag like mad on the road, changed to slicks and knocked near 5 minutes off my journey on first run. Definitely feel the difference.

I now ride a carbon road bike to work and never looked back.