You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

No Man's Sky

Cardie

If I had to guess I'd say it's gonna flop; but that's not to say I don't think it looks fantastic. I hope it's a gamechanger, the scope is mind-blowing, and extremely evocative for those of us who've dreamed of space exploration from a very early age. (Which is almost everyone, surely)

I doubt I'll get the time to play it myself but hoping some of you lot do so we can get some good first hand reviews.

My copy should've arrived today, but as tomorrow's release day I can't complain. I've been looking forward to this for years.

It'll probably get a bit of a backlash, as people inevitably get dragged into the hype without realising it'll be quite an acquired taste. I'm trying to keep my expectation levels in check; if it allows me to explore a universe and make some new discoveries that give me that sense of wonder then I'll be happy. The overall aesthetic of classic sci-fi novel covers as well as the music will be enough to draw me in.

It's the kind of title you get the feeling will evolve though, as it's so ambitious that DLC and a sequel will probably fill in the gaps of what Hello Games didn't manage to cover.

Doesn't seem like the type of game you'd see a sequel for as their's no story to continue, more likely to see continual content updates.

My only hesitation with this game is they've been big on telling us how it's technically brilliant but have been very shy to go into much detail on what there is to do in the game. Early reactions seem to be that while the exploring is fun once you step foot on a planet it's the same repetitive process. 

Doing something to make multiplayer feasible would definitely help, especially if you could build ports and bases on planets for groups of people.

But there are more reasons for sequels beyond story. On a purely functional level, in the next few years they'll learn tricks for making landscapes more varied, of a greater scale and how to create even more complex relationships between the procedural elements. That needs to be coded from the ground up if it's significant.

I've been following things quite closely, and there's been a fair bit of info about what you do - mining, exploring, upgrading, learning languages, interacting with alien NPCs - and the fact it's in essence a single player title. They just haven't gone into specifics or shown much in depth, as discovery is the biggest part of its appeal.

The key to expectations with this game are the titles that were often cited as inspirations. There were more rogue-likes and survival games - or things like the deliberately obtuse aspects of the Souls series - than anything quest / narrative-driven or with traditional multiplayer.

The last three hours have flown by, I'm loving it.

Couple of tips - if you find a monolith and it says there's tons of riches inside, do you want to stand back or reach in, stand back. Also, if an alien offers to check your gun out, let them - they'll swap it for a better one.

Balls, pressed quote instead of edit.

Captain's Log: Day One.

Fucked up a bit by wandering too far from my knackered ship. Kept following markers for different things, and looked back to see it'd take me about half an hour to get back to my ship. I got half way and fell into a massive cave system. It was beautiful, but annoying.

I think I need to get out of a completionist mindset otherwise I'll never get anywhere.

On a technical level it's far more solid and the shooting has more weight than some videos made it appear.

Had a decent little session - Enjoyed what I played of it. 

As BBN mentions above, it's so easy to just get lost in the game gathering resources. You've got to keep your ship in a reasonable vicinity.

Enjoyed the engagements with the sentinels, though when the elite buggers hit the scene, make sure you have plenty of cover, and plenty of health/shields!

I ventured off my spawn planet, hit up a space station, landed on another nearby planet/moon, and tried to warp to another planet after I'd built & fuelled my hyperdrive, but the game crashed just as I initiated the warp... Bastard.

Make sure you upload absolutely everything you discover, from creatures to camps/save beacons. The credits are very much welcomed...

Ign have been reviewing it day by day

Day 1, great

Day 3, bored shitless.

I've hit that after about 12 hours, it's great that there are trillions of planets but there needs to be more to do than fly your ship, land, walk around until you run out of resources just to make room in your inventory to re-mine those resources, leave and repeat.

For a game that makes everywhere you visit different everything feels the same.

They might have made a massive mistake making this single player as giving players a massive sandbox like this with the ability to do endless things (base building, economy, skirmishes etc etc etc) all grown naturally would have meant that users were constantly creating content.

Second session that I've had the game crash when trying to warp. This time it was mid warp, rather than just as I started.

A little tip.... Your starter ship is no good in dogfights, and it's impossible to get away from the drones sent to destroy you. So, when in space with your starting ship, don't shoot anyone...

Yep, it'll probably be like Destiny, where the game evolves from the release framework. Stuff like Driveclub showed that even a poor launch can be rectified as long as the support is there.

I'm still really enjoying things, but my one complaint thus far wouldn't be the repetition, but that there's actually too much included on each planet, and as such I never really get a great sense of isolation. Either I've been extremely lucky, or the plan that only one out of ten planets would have life, and then one out of ten of those would have significantly evolved lifeforms seems to have been reversed for fear people would get bored.

Like all titles that have a fair amount of grind to them, I'll keep plugging away here and there, enjoying it in short bursts rather than trying to put in too many hours and then losing interest. Drifting through space with a few decent tunes on is a great way to unwind.

Hello Games have announced extra features in free updates. It feels very much like the framework on which a truly great game will be built in the future.

Irrespective of future content I don't see it ever becoming a great single player gane, it needs to be far smalller and more dense in scale to work like that.

Sounds like I hate the game but I'm really enjoying it. It just feels like you're running around an MMO on an empty server.

Problem with that is they charge people AAA prices for an indie game that might evolve into something but also might not.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

I don't think anyone's under the illusion that they charged based on what it may evolve into. 

I'm not sure what it being indie has to do with the price, as it's really indicative of nothing more than an association with a publisher.