You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

How Many Attacking Players Do We Need?

Guest LFD

How many 1st team attacking players do we need?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. How many 1st team attacking players do we need?

No European football next season.

We've just signed another attacking player in Mane.

Ings is fit again.

We currently have Sturridge, Origi, Firmino, Ings, Mane, Coutinho, Lallana, Ibe, Markovic, Milner, Ojo - that's 11!

That's without mentioning someone like Luis Alberto, who is still our player and reported to be coming back for pre season.  Or Balotelli! haha

I feel we need eight or nine attacking players.

Ibe will probably go on loan.  Alberto you would have thought would go as well.

I think we should be looking to sell one of Lallana or Milner.  They both offer similar roles when used in attack.  Lots of energy, pressing and graft.  Milner however seems to be more productive, then again he is also on higher wages & is older.

I hope Ojo is kept in the first team squad, as he looked really promising last season when used and more productive than Ibe, Lallane and others.

Some of these attacking players need to go. Who?  & How many do we want in the squad next season?

Striking options look a bit shite really. They're either crocks, unproven or both.

I think the story on the BBC reporting the Mane signing said he's been bought as a striker though, so who knows?

I highly doubt it.

Maybe a wide forward in an attacking three, but not a central striker.

I think Origi is really going to challenge Sturridge as our number one striker this season.  He was scoring at a similar rate to him last season in the league and Klopp clearly rates him highly.

I highly doubt it.

Maybe a wide forward in an attacking three, but not a central striker.

I think Origi is really going to challenge Sturridge as our number one striker this season.  He was scoring at a similar rate to him last season in the league and Klopp clearly rates him highly.

Yep, I don't see why he'd play striker, he's needed wide where we've been shocking for a while now.

With Origi, that spell of fantastic form has given me hope he'll be a good signing for us but I'd balance it with the large parts of the season where he couldn't get on the pitch, either through injury, or just wasn't ready yet. He's played 90 minutes twice in the league. He's young and it's still early days.

You're right.

Surely he is going though.

Hope so.  I'm not convinced we've got enough strikers if he goes but I'm starting to think we may have to just get on with it.  Ings looked good but it was a small sample and then a long-term injury.  Origi looks to have a lot of potential, but is he really a front line CF already?  Is Sturridge even a striker?  Firmino I guess can play there too.

I'd say Benteke and Ibe to go, taking it down to ten, and possibly Markovic too, taking it to 9.

Arguably with the proceeds we could reinvest in another striker, but I'd probably rather keep our powder dry at the moment, unless the right player presents himself and/or Sturridge breaks down again.

Instead, put the money into the best midfielder we can sign this summer, maybe Dahoud?

Hope so.  I'm not convinced we've got enough strikers if he goes but I'm starting to think we may have to just get on with it.  Ings looked good but it was a small sample and then a long-term injury.  Origi looks to have a lot of potential, but is he really a front line CF already?  Is Sturridge even a striker?  Firmino I guess can play there too.

I think we have enough, especially if Mane is also an option in emergencies.

I'd say Benteke and Ibe to go, taking it down to ten, and possibly Markovic too, taking it to 9.

I left Benteke off the list so it would take us to 10.

Can't see us playing enough games to keep them all happy.

ST: Sturridge, Origi, Ings, Firmino* (can play both)

Wingers/Att mids: Mane, Coutinho, Lallana, Ibe, Markovic, Ojo, Milner* 

That's 11 but Milner is more of a MF and Ojo is a youngster. Ibe might be loaned out.

So I'd say it's enough. Move Benteke, Balotelli, Alberto and maybe Markovic if we get an offer of 20m or how much we payed, but he may still come good, so no point in selling a 22-year old for half the price. Rather give him a proper chance. I'd say we're pretty covered, like somebody said if a really good strikers becomes an option than maybe..

ST: Sturridge, Origi, Ings, Firmino* (can play both)

Wingers/Att mids: Mane, Coutinho, Lallana, Ibe, Markovic, Ojo, Milner* 

That's 11 but Milner is more of a MF

So you think we'll play enough games to keep seven AMs / Wide players happy?

What's an MF?  Midfielder I assume?

I don't ever want to see Milner in midfield for us.  He should be right wide or on the bench.

Pretty much all of our attackers are pretty versatile, but many of them are still unproven. I'd like to think Markovic will offer something next season, but doubts remain and he also seems injury prone so maybe selling him, loaning out Ibe and bringing in a left footed winger would be a good shout.

Seems like Sturridge is staying, but even with his injury record I don't think we need to go out and buy another. Firmino or Mane can always play there in emergencies.

I'm more worried about midfield and left back.

Plenty of numbers, not enough quality.

That attack is still overly reliant on Sturridge, who tbh looks a shadow of his former self and is always likely to break down again anyway.

The only other hope is Origi making the jump from Welbeck clone to top class striker.  Not impossible but can't be banked on.

Plenty of numbers, not enough quality.

That attack is still overly reliant on Sturridge, who tbh looks a shadow of his former self and is always likely to break down again anyway.

The only other hope is Origi making the jump from Welbeck clone to top class striker. Not impossible but can't be banked on.

This.

A consistent, quality striker is likely to lift you at least 5 places, or add an extra 15-20 points, in the league.

None of the ones we have is proven and reliable at that level, so I say we need to get one in. Dont think it'll happen tho.

Hopefully Klopp can develop Origi and maybe Ings to reach a new level. Sturridge is/was top drawer at his best, but of course can't be relied upon.

I think there is a player in Markovic somewhere... He's got some fancy bits in his youtube compilations.  Hopefully Klopp finds his inner 'useful' and can trump that outer 'useless' that we saw here.

Markovic made his name at Benfica and thrived playing central, in a number 10 role.

At LFC because he was quick, it seemed everyone and Rodgers thought he should be played wide.  But he's only quick when he has loads of space to run into, otherwise he doesn't have a clue how to use his pace.  

Unless Markovic gets to play that central role, where he has stiff competition, I can't see him succeeding here.